• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Marth better than Roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master of Roy

Smash Rookie
Everytime someone posts their favorite character lists, Marth is near the top and Roy is nowhere to be seen. People talk about Marth as being one of the best but fail to mention Roy at all. I've unlocked all characters and stages, and from my view, Roy is everthing Marth is and much more. They have all the same moves except Roy uses fire attacks to deliver more damage. Is there something that Marth can do that Roy can't? I have invested much time into mastering Roy and have found him to be superior in every way to Marth. If there is any reason why Marth is better than Roy, please tell me. I'm dying to know.

EZ-Smash-Gamer

Smash Apprentice
He just is.Its just one of those things you cannot explain.Marth ROCKS!!!Flaw :o ne move takes life from you.Not sure which though.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: EZ-Smash-Gamer ]</p>

Slyzer

Smash Apprentice
Marth is better, whats more to say? :cool: well i think people like marth better because he can juggle better and in my opinion theyre both good but roy licks marths bag :)

Nova Triton

Smash Apprentice
I like Roy a LOT more than Marth! Roy's our boy!

=)

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Nova Triton ]</p>

Master of Roy

Smash Rookie
How can Marth juggle any better than Roy? I use Roy's B-up move a lot to juggle. Marth's B-up doesn't do it as well from what I can tell.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
first off, i like roy a lot better tan marth, IMBO i think marth is useless when you can play as roy.

one thing though, marth's B move breaks shields.

SnorSnor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Definitely Roy. Like they say, "Roy's our boy!"

His B is good, especially when fully charged (Of course). Not that you'll probably get that full charge when playing a human, but it's still really good. His up+B deals enough damage, and also gives that little "stun" on them so you could do something else too.

I think Roy was the easiest to catch on to when playing him. I think he's got the right speed and strength for someone to beat other players really good.

Master of Roy

Smash Rookie
I knew Roy was more powerful, but I didn't know he had a longer sword, Marth was faster and could jump higher, and I especially didn't know Marth's B could break shields. Is this a deciding factor on who's better or can Roy's B break shields too.

Rith

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Master of Roy:
<strong>I knew Roy was more powerful, but I didn't know he had a longer sword, Marth was faster and could jump higher, and I especially didn't know Marth's B could break shields. Is this a deciding factor on who's better or can Roy's B break shields too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Beat All-Star with Roy and it tells you that he has a longer range. I just figured out the rest by testing.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
roy's B cant break shield, but when fully charged it does 50 damage to anyone it hits, ten damage to yourself, and has the same hitting power (as far as they fly) as the homerun bat in a smash attack.

Pikachu Master

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a little weaker, but faster than Roy, and most people prefer the Dark, evil look-I prefer the golden Paladin armor, though.

FoXeD

Smash Rookie
I started out playing Marth and really liked him.. but I played Roy for awhile too and started liking him more (maybe it was because of those tempting flames). The only thing I wish one of them had was a decent Air -&gt; Ground attack like Link's aerial down+a move. I'm always get hit first when trying to hit someone from above. Not much to do about that though except for not get above them.

Their down + b counterstroke moves are convinient enough but I wish they would reflect energy moves such as Samus' energy blast, it would make it much more effective.

Does anyone know a good way to use Mr. G&W's Down+B? I'm not exactly sure how to execute it.. but somehow the little bucket thing absorbs energy attacks and pushing it again throws out oil or something? I've only gotton it to work once but it seemed to be very powerful.

zephyj2

Smash Apprentice
Again, read please do not try to start these arguments. They provoke people to argue and ruin Gideon's site!

Roy

Smash Apprentice
Batsu, Hinata, Kyosuke and me are in X's house, st
IC:

Hmm, Marth. These people are dissing me, because of you.
Marth: Eh. Ever since we came to america, these people are idiots, and agruing whos the best. "Roy licks Marth's bag" Now that is sick and perverted. Now me and Roy will destroy you all! This is for you sister!
*TV screen go's into color bars. While Marth and Roy slice up everyone*

Master of Roy

Smash Rookie
I have beaten All-star with him, I just never read his trophy. And I'm not trying to start an argument, just wondering what the difference was between the two besides the fact that Roy uses flames. So, Roy's B move can't break through shields, but when it is fully charged up, it's an instant kill like the home run bat? Does Marth have this kind of power or is this where they start to differenciate?

Optyx

Smash Rookie
k i dont wanna start an argument but when you say SUPER CHARGED B MOVE, just shut up! maybe this move is only good to you cuz you might be a newb. and i dont think roys sword has any more reach than marths. if anything marth has better range since he attacks with the tip of his sword.

overall i think marth is better since his dolphin slash can actually ko when done properly and his juggling capabilities are much better because of his speed. sure hes weaker than roy and has no "tempting" flames but overall his agility and speed give him the edge over roy.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy!

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
hey, does anybody know if roy's B move breaks shields?

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: tmw_redcell ]</p>

Rith

Smash Ace
Whoops, my bad. In Roy's smash trophy, it says "excellent reach", and as it turns out, Marth does have better reach. His jump is about a head and a half higher (likely because of personal height). And I think the trophy I read that on was the Adventure one... whoops again.

tmw_redcell, it's a general rule to read the topic before replying. You're question has already been answered multiple times, so in the future make sure you do your homework.

mgslee

Smash Cadet
My opinion is that Marth and Roy are better in different circumstances. When you one on one in Smash I seem to do alot better with Marth (is jugling and precision tactics work alot better) In 4 player FFA, Roy is better since a majority of his attacks are multi hitting (read flame ability) This is my personal opinion on these 2 chracters so dont flame me if you say Roy is better in one on one or what not

Exceed

Smash Cadet
Roy = better than Marth, in my opinion. Marth probably reaches a bit farther, but Roy has his attacks laced with fire :-)

Both are pretty cool, but I think Roy is a bit more useful to me...

And his B attack breaks shields if fully charged and will KO automatically if its the first move you use in the match.. (once again, fully charged)

Master of Roy

Smash Rookie
Ok, here's a topic recap:

Marth: Higher Jump, Better Reach, Faster, can juggle better, can break shields w/B move

Roy: more powerful, uses flames :D , fully charged B move will KO instantly, B move can't break shields unless fully charged

Ok, two more questions. One: Does Marth's B move break shields only when charged up also? Or can his break shields when not fully charged but Roy's must be fully charged. Two: Even if Roy's is charged up and he lands the B move on someone with a shield, will it still automatically kill them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom