• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is it Pronounced?

Rakath

Smash Ace
Ike is pronounced "Ike", rhyming with Like, Mike, and Bike.

TehDuke

Smash Rookie
The "I" is a long i sound, like in "high" or "kite" , and it's just one syllable.

His original Japanese name is Aiku, which is based on the English name of "Ike," so it makes a smooth transition to English. "Ee-kay" would be correct if the Japanese spelling was Ike.

I don't know if I worded that well, but that's basically the gist of it.

Zeta_Stryker

Smash Rookie
No, it's:

Aye-Kee-Yuh
Totally wrong. Incase you didn't know. Ike is a Japanese name. Which the japanese pronounce Ike as; "Aiku"

Ai = I (I, or myself in japanese), as in; "Ai-shi-teru" (I love you in japanese)

Therefore here's how it goes down.

Ai = I (in the U.S)
ku = ke (in the U.S)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Ai doesn't mean myself in japanese >_>
And I'm sure the person you're quoting is kidding.
The japanese don't have the same sentence structure as european languages. The subject usually comes after the predicate (I think), and last names come first. 'Ai' means love. So it would literally translate into something that sounds like a yodaism.

Where did you think Engrish came from?

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Hell, the Fire Emblem series always feature european places and names, so there's no doubt Ike is thought as a english name, as well as her sisters' (Mist). So it would be pronounced "Aik".

Zeta_Stryker

Smash Rookie
Anyways, Ike is "Ike". You guys don't need to make it complicated. In some animes where they have the name "Ike" mentioned. They simply pronounce it as "Iku" (Aiku, as previously said and is the romanization version of Ike), making the "I" letter a long sounding vowel instead of short.

Smash Ace
No, it's pronounced "Icky." You are all wrong. :p

Yes, Zeta is right. The real answer, though, is that everyone will pronounce it the same way the announcer does, and I'm pretty sure that he's going to say "Ike."

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
ee-kay just sounds ridiculous...

He's Ike in the cutscenes... how you'd pronounce it in english...

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Ike: "Now listen here Anna Mae! I ain't out there swingin' that heavy *** sword for my health! You'll get yourself in the kitchen and make me a sammich now, if you know what's good for ya...

Top Bottom