• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How important is....

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
...arrow looping and simply any arrow techs at all? I've been using no tap jumps so that I could get better at arrow looping and such, but I'm so accustomed to tapping that I constantly SD:urg: I play much better with it on, but if using arrows is really important as far as AT's go, I'll try it some more.

I'm currently using arrows w/o it (tap) and it seems to work fairly good. I'm probably looking to much into it and should "play the way I feel comfortable", but I really feel I should try to work on these things early to develop good habits....

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
i've been wondering this myself. whenever i see your arrow loop vids i can't help but think straight/curved arrows would have been better. immediate arrows force your opponent to approach, pressure them into doing something, and ideally causes their approach to become imperfect enough for you to punish. curved arrows seem to give them some breathing room or time to dash at you. what's the benefit of arrow loops?

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
It should be fairly obvious to you that arrow looping has no amazing immediate use. Once you're really consistent at it and you can multi task by looping the arrow and set up an attack at the same time it can be used as a mindgame, but until then just do it for fun.

Once a person gets hit by a looped arrow around 2 or three times some people start anticipating it and airdodge or move awkwardly to avoid getting hit. This kind of reaction can be punished, but it's hard to do as you're controlling the arrow. Like Genome says, often times its better to fire straight arrows.

Not many people are at the level where arrow looping can greatly help as a mindgame.

Coffee™

I need it....
If you feel more comfortable with Tap Jump on you should probably make the extra effort to learn how to to do Arrow Looping with Tap Jump on. Personally I prefer it on as well and its really not that much harder unless you are trying for multiple loops, which you probably shouldn't be doing in a real match anyway.

As for applications of Arrow techs and if they're useful, I would say the only one you really should learn is normal Arrow Looping as thats the only one with a pratical use in a match as it can sometimes force opponents into unfavourable situations, however it isn't a necessesity to learn either. The other Arrow Looping techs you will see are mostly better for casual/fun matches or to show off.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Learn2Loop.

Most people naturally airdodge an approaching arrow, if they believe it is coming.

1. Shoot arrow
2. Watch them airdodge
3. Loop arrow
4. Watch them airdodge
5. Pretend to start looping arrow
6. They airdodge
7. Fly up to them
8. ???
9. Profit!

And after a few loops, they EXPECT that arrow to be looping back to them, so you may only shoot 1 arrow, and they'll airdodge thinking you're looping it, then you punish the airdodge

If they don't airdodge, they get hit by the arrow.

They are pretty limited then besides aerial drifting away from it (and if you're good, you can still hit them)

Also

Arrow Blitz (that new one) can be pretty decent when they are offstage (for setting it up) because personally, I can play + loop arrows and if my opponent tries to approach BOOM there goes 4 arrows into his face :)

My opinion ~
Havokk

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all your opinions. I think I'll stay with tap on and simply try to get better at looping with it.

So many SD's....

Afropony

Smash Lord
Arrow looping is also a good thing to practice because it gets you used to moving the arrows around and giving you a more accurate shot when shooting at a recovering opponent.

Top Bottom