• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I went from a casual marth to a competitive Falco in less than a week

TheSadisticPotato423

Smash Rookie
Hello all,
I want to share with you my story of my introduction to competitive smash. DISCLAIMER: you are most likely better than me at this game. I understand that. This is just my personal story that I wanted to share.

First a bit of background on myself. I grew up playing melee, but it never left my house. I kept on playing it casually until mid high school, when i saw the smash brothers documentry. at this point, I had no idea that there were tournaments and I never thought I would be going to one ever. But I did watch tournaments. I learned advanced techniques, and a whole world was opened. I started practicing, and got pretty good movement with most of the cast. I went back and spent hours beating my times on HRC, events, etc. At this point, i decided I was going to main marth because he was easy to use, and played to my strengths. I was intimidated by spacies. I would spend tons of time beating level 9 CPUs with c stick spamming and predictable tipper f smashes. Then, it all changed in math class.

we had finished a test and had like 30 minutes to sit quietly on our phones and stuff. the kid in front of me pulls out a laptop and starts playing melee on dolphin and man, he was good. He played falco, and playing these crazy CPUs who were faster and more technical than i had ever seen. I talked to him after class and told him i played too. I went over to his house and got bodied. with my semi technical marth, i barely landed a hit. I was crushed. all of my bad habits were engraved into my mind, and eventually i just watched him combo my poor marth all over. Falco was the coolest thing ever.

I thankfully had a high preformance computer, and he helped me set up dolphin and 20xx, which i practiced on non stop. He showed me the gist of netplay. I started playing falco, just because I never realized that his combos and movement werent only for the pros. Falco came easily to me, and heres why:

1. Technical ability. It did not take me long to adjust to the wavedash timing for falco, and shffling out of shine wasnt too difficult to learn either.

2. Playstyle. My falco i controlled very similar to how i control marth. i use falco bair similar to marths fair, and i am not scared to go offstage for a dair. I dtilt a lot as marth, and falco's dtilt is amazing for both killing and setting up a dair or bair. My bad habits as marth, namely down b ing when in trouble, or approaching nair, are both things that falco does but are good.

3. combo game. I struggled comboing as marth. it seemed like whoever i was playing would just jump away after i hit them. falco's fast pace vertical combo game allowed me to quickly adjust to playing real people

4. MOST IMPORTANT- a clean slate. No more f smashing in neutral. This is a whole new character. My roots for falco are based on only 20xx cpus and Netplay, as well as the occasional smashfest. no bad habits with marth that got in the way of transferring to playing people with half a brain.

My switch from marth to falco as i transferred into the competitive scene went easier than I expected. I went from getting bodied on netplay to being able to hold my own. The game has become much more enjoyable for me, as Falco is someone who i can sit back, get a sick combo, and be able to turn back and yell YOOOO YOU SEE THAT? to my wall and my cat. Believe it or not, I didnt even go 0-2 first time at a local.

This doesnt mean im good at melee. Im still a scrub. Im not close to the best in my region, and there is a lot lacking from my game. However, This was just meant to get my story of coming into competitive smash from casual play.

If anyone can beat my target test with Fox at 12:70, I will be impressed. Peace out.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Man I like your story and how you are clearly very passionate about the game. I also started competitively in high school so can connect. I'm now a freshman in college and on my state PR. Keep it up.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I went from a crappy Marth to a bad jigglypuff to a worse shiek to a Competetive Luigi. Same story, but I moved down a few tiers.

Qwerty2084

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
QTY#396
Sounds like an interesting story about the change from scrub competitive to better scrub.
If anyone can beat my target test with Fox at 12:70, I will be impressed.
According to https://www.speedrun.com/ssbm/Target_Test#Individual_Level_Best_Time there a 4 people who’ve beaten your record, possibly even more, but good job anyway.

Edit: I know this thread is almost a year old but I came back to say that I did Fox's Target Test faster than your 12:70, I got a 11:82 yesterday, and my previous PB was 14:01.

Last edited:
Top Bottom