• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I am going to get better with Ganon?

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I have gotten significantly better since I started playing competitively in November/December and I main Falco and Ganon. My Falco has gotten really good. I am winning locals, made it out of pools at Shuffle V, etc. My Ganon however reached a point where it seems like it is not getting any better. I mean I make a little more progress with him the more I play but its nowhere near like my Falco or Falcon.

How can I tell I am getting better with Ganon? Is it one of those characters where you cant really get better with the character at a point and its all based off reads? Because my Ganon tech game is solid. The wavelanding, approaching, wavedashing back to f-tilt, punish game, etc. I do not really know how to explain what I am feeling about it, I guess I am just asking..

1. How to get better with Ganon?
2. Is there some sort of technique I am really missing?
3. (Random) Should I be using Ganon is teams? I did well with him in locals and what not in teams but I cannot decide whether it was their lack of Ganon knowledge or I am just doing well with Ganon in teams.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Ganondorf is hard to excel with because he doesn't have anywhere near the tools that the other characters do, and the reason why improvement is more of a grind on Ganondorf is because all you can really do is keep honing his few options until they become more viable. Falco has more leeway to both screw up, and to make more plays. You'll find you'd do better with Falco probably 90% of the time. Ganondorf, as I've been playing this game longer seems to be a good secondary. He doesn't cover any match ups better than other characters, but if you can get a few reads on your opponent you can crush them harder than almost any character.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Ganondorf is hard to excel with because he doesn't have anywhere near the tools that the other characters do, and the reason why improvement is more of a grind on Ganondorf is because all you can really do is keep honing his few options until they become more viable. Falco has more leeway to both screw up, and to make more plays. You'll find you'd do better with Falco probably 90% of the time. Ganondorf, as I've been playing this game longer seems to be a good secondary. He doesn't cover any match ups better than other characters, but if you can get a few reads on your opponent you can crush them harder than almost any character.
Thats how I feel. I crush people with Falco.... but then I play Ganon and have to put 5 times more work.... Do you recommend Ganon for teams?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i think ganon is actually better for teams in some ways. a lot of times, you can catch people off guard focusing on someone else with the unexpected fair or bair and it will just straight up kill them. the big down side is his hitboxes are so big that you have to be careful not to kill your teammate.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
i think ganon is actually better for teams in some ways. a lot of times, you can catch people off guard focusing on someone else with the unexpected fair or bair and it will just straight up kill them. the big down side is his hitboxes are so big that you have to be careful not to kill your teammate.
My thoughts exactly. When Kage and Axe teamed in one tournament I saw that he ****ed someone up but also KO'd Axe at the same time. Hahah. Not his fault, but like damn... Ganon is a powerhouse. But as long as you all stay separated would be better for teams?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
lol I remember teaming up with a friend, he used ganon, and I just camped the edge with lasers (I was falco) while my friend was diving hard at the enemy because everytime he got hit a laser will stop him from being sent all over the place and he just keep jabing and eventually got the fair punishes going, very funny.

Jokes aside, is definitively hard to make ganon work as good as you play more and more skilled players. But I still think he has the most brutal punish game just because of the great force he has in all his moves, is ridiculous how fast he can kill you. Good reads are a must with this guy if you want to make it against top players.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
lol I remember teaming up with a friend, he used ganon, and I just camped the edge with lasers (I was falco) while my friend was diving hard at the enemy because everytime he got hit a laser will stop him from being sent all over the place and he just keep jabing and eventually got the fair punishes going, very funny.

Jokes aside, is definitively hard to make ganon work as good as you play more and more skilled players. But I still think he has the most brutal punish game just because of the great force he has in all his moves, is ridiculous how fast he can kill you. Good reads are a must with this guy if you want to make it against top players.
No offense to anyone, but it sucks with characters like Ganon cause no one can tell you or explain how to get better at a certain point with the character because of his lack of options and what not. Haha. Oh well.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I do not main ganon, but all of he's aerials are good, back uair in particular for edgeguarding, fair has all that brutal power and you can chain a couple or 3, bair is good as well and dair just have lots of power as well. His jab comes really fast, f-tilt and d-tilt both have decent range and power.

Idk, haven't u seen rockcrock, linguini or kage? those guys play ganon as good as it gets.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I do not main ganon, but all of he's aerials are good, back uair in particular for edgeguarding, fair has all that brutal power and you can chain a couple or 3, bair is good as well and dair just have lots of power as well. His jab comes really fast, f-tilt and d-tilt both have decent range and power.

Idk, haven't u seen rockcrock, linguini or kage? those guys play ganon as good as it gets.
Don't get me wrong those guys are amazing. And I know his moves are great but it gets to the point after you learn the diff situations, matchups, moves, etc and you see its not you with the character getting better. Its just you which kind of sucks cause he has a early limit imo. Kage is amazing but Ganon is not getting better, he is with his reads and mindgames.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Bro, is ALL about the player, even if you're playing spacies, sheik or marth, at the end of the day the better player wins.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Bro, is ALL about the player, even if you're playing spacies, sheik or marth, at the end of the day the better player wins.
Sorry, If I was confusing you. Thats mostly what I meant but I mean with spacies you see yourself get better. With Ganon and basically the rest of A tier and below its hard to track progress. There thats how I feel about it. :) haha.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Learn to powershield->jab everything, there you go... trololololol
Hahaha, I have. But oh well, the better I become as a player the better my Ganon will be. Thanks for the discussion though. Do you main anyone else besides Ganon?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I do not main ganondorf, I pick him once in a while to own people (noobs) xD

I play spacies, mostly falco, I can play marth and sheik as well but they kinda suck for me because I'm not so used to playing with them. Lately I've been trying to play with pikachu as well just because I admire AXE a lot.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I do not main ganondorf, I pick him once in a while to own people (noobs) xD

I play spacies, mostly falco, I can play marth and sheik as well but they kinda suck for me because I'm not so used to playing with them. Lately I've been trying to play with pikachu as well just because I admire AXE a lot.
I can dig it. Yeah I like Falco, Falcon, and Ganon. I am not a fan of Marth or Sheik... boring for me. Haha.
AXE is amazing. Too good.

Top Bottom