• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How he Came to Be: The Childhood of Dr. Robotnik (fanfic)

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
So yeah ever wondered what caused Dr. Robotnik to become so evil? Well it was his childhood.

Here's a link to it: How He Came to Be

I've only written two chapters, with the first being the intro. This is a very dramatic story, so if you're not into that kind of stuff, then don't read it.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Just read the prologue, and I'm about to read the next chapter.

Great intro in my opinion. It does exactly what a prologue is meant to do, get the reader hooked on the story and wanting to read more (which I will now do). It has a fair amount of detail, with the cliched but always effective "atmospheric thunderstorm."

A bit off topic, but a never got why they changed Robotnick's name to Eggman. It's just dumb and cheesy in my opinion.

EDIT: And now I've just read the second half. Genious. That's exactly how robotnick's childhood would have been. He's a naturally brilliant boy, and he has a natural ego to go with it. But of course, a teenager would just see him as a stuck up fatboy. So his pride is turning to rage as he becomes more and more miserable about his life, but the one thing he can seek haven in is his inventions.

Pretty soon he'll realize that he can do much more with his inventions than just "tinker," and he'll try to fill the void that he's created in himself by building larger and more advanced machines. And as people begin to ridicule him more and more as he ages, he'll grow more and more jealous of Bobby, who personifies how Robotnick thinks his life should be.

One day someone (maybe Bobby), will do something that angers him more than ever (maybe by kissing a girl he's had a crush on for a long time, right before Robotnick was about to admit his feelings). So Ivo will exact his revenge the only was he knows how, by inventing a machine. And being the genious that he is, Robotnick's machine will work. Work a bit too well. Bobby will die, and Robotnick will take the blame.

Driven mad by the concept of what he has done, Ivo watches as the few people he trust become his enemy. Now the only thing he knows are the creations he has built, and Robotnick anger grows and people become more angry at him. Once they try to arrest him for what he has done, Robotnick flees with his beloved machines, deciding that he is too great to rot in prison. He has done things no other man could have accomplished. He decides that anything he wants should be his for the taking, and the mad genious we know and love today is born.

Well, anyway, thats how I always thought his childhood would be like (minus Bobby of course). I'm sure I'll like your version a lot better though, since you seem like a natural writer.

Which brings me to your writing style, which is spot on. You have enough detail to help create the world of Ivo Robotnick and bring it to life, but not too much that it bogs down the overall story.

For critique, your fight scene was just a tad wishy washy, which you pointed out yourself. Maybe you should have had more comments about facial expressions of the "combatants," or things some of the onlookers (or fighters) said during the brawl. It's fine to say what "attacks" (for lack of a better word) are happening, but adding an emotional level would make the fight much more meaningful.

Keep up the insanely good work!

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
he's right, you do have a natural talent for writing, but one thing you might want to keep in mind.... Tails has the same IQ as robotnik, maybe you could put him in someway, most likely towards the last couple of chapters.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that's actually a good plot Armagopalypse, probably better than mine, but I don't want to steal it. And I'm planning on a more drastic measure that causes Ivo's revenge. Like, a very tragic reason that will cause him to take revenge. I also just added a third chapter which leads to why Robotnik hates Sonic.

And to Super Glenn, I don't plan on including any SOnic characters besides Gerald Robotnik and Maria. I'm keeping a realistic view, and in the first Sonic game, Robotnik is roughly... 30 years old perhaps. And since it's his childhood, any character that is not human from the Sonic series will not be in it. So yeah, don't expect Tails making a breakthrough.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
it's a good thing you remembered mario, she will make a great character in this story, especialy because her part in the sonic series is not as clear as the other characters.

also, does this mean you are going to mension project shadow on the ARK. i know he wont probobly make an apearance, but you could give him is past that i am sure everyone is desperatly wanting.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
All I'm going to mention is that Gerald Robotnik and Maria are going to move to the ARK. I'm not going to mention what they're doing, but I'm probably going to have a scene where Ivo says goodbye to them. But yeah I guess you can assume that they are working on Project Shadow. I won't mention it though.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
dang, oh well, after i finish my story, i will work on like, the bigining of tails of something, by the way, this is the only time i will say part of my plans for the rebelion but, i am including story line mixing from 3 point of views. they consist of "Luigi, Slippy,and of coarse Tails" hope you will check out my story and cretic it. i know it has probolems and i am still trying to figure out a good writing style, so the the change in writing style from chapter one to chapter 2 is just me experimenting since i am still a young writer.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Lol well I'm flattered that you think my plot was worth anything. I'm sure that if you put even an ounce of thought into it, you'll come up with something monumentally better. Your a natural writer, and it shows.

And your latest chapter is as good as ever. All I can say is keep em comin.'

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
So are you going to actualy make another chapter to this incredible story?

Top Bottom