• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How hard is it learn Charizard?

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Easy to pick up, and not really mastered by anyone yet so like most characters, pretty hard to master.

The things a lot of beginners might have trouble with are:
1. Down throw only gets really good when you can tech chase on reaction, which is one of the harder fundamentals in Smash.
2. Being able to consistently reverse your momentum using glide cancel (when you want to) can be hard for some.
3. I never found this hard, but a lot of people have trouble sweet spotting his up b on the ledge.

I would definitely recommend picking him up. He has a very strong combo and edgeguard game.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
I would definitely recommend picking him up. He has a very strong combo and edgeguard game.
And he's fun! Oh boy is he fun. Once you get used to Nair all his combos just make sense and come naturally. Plus he's got a lot of tricks the rest of the cast would be jealous of. He's like a fat Falcon with wings. :D

The best Charizards with all his tech down pat are just now emerging. I personally base a Charizard's "tech skill" off how well they can space his Nair, and how effectively they utilize glide both offensively and defensively. BlackRain hit the nail on the head, I'd say the most technically challenging part of Lizardon is managing all the different momentum shifts possible through glide.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Very easy to learn the basics, and very fun to show off. His air combos are SPECTACULAR.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
The one and only. I just can't believe there's someone out there who knows who I am.....I haven't really done anything to put my name on the board. Still, glad to know I have fans.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think one of the trickier things about zard is utilizing nair's 360 degree hitbox. You can get some great gimps/setups off stage with some of the parts of nair that hit around the back of zard.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of picking him up.
Your sig is filled with Project M hopes and dreams.

I have a pocket Zard, so I'm no authority here.

But I wouldn't say he's very difficult based on what I know.

Back throw leads into free combo follow-ups, tech chases, or even chain grabs on many characters.

Nair/Dair > Stuff combos are pretty free, no matter how they DI.

You can often combo into his DP (Up-B) for some sexy ceiling kills.

I would definitely recommend him. He's pretty solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
Just started playing PM, i've been playing a lot of Charizard lately and loving it. I never really played Melee competitively and Charizard seems like, atm, he doesn't require quite as much precision as characters like Fox or Falco. I do seem to be combo fodder though, and I'm not sure if it's matchup specific or my bad DI.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Easy to pick up. Once you get to higher levels his weaknesses become more glaring and you have mind your spacing, reads and combo consistency a lot more.

Sort of like how Ganon is ZOMG SO GOOD when you and your friends suck, then you go to an actual tournament.

tl;dr if you ever feel like a character with good power and coverage but high start-up and large size needs 'less precision to be successful with' realize you haven't fought anyone who has exploited your considerable weaknesses yet.

That said Zard has some amazing options, good power and mobility and a recovery with a lot of distance, albeit not very difficult to edge-guard. Rewarding and plenty viable.

Top Bottom