• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good is the corrin MU?

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I understand that there has already been a thread made for this, but I'm puzzled. After a bit of looking in both characters' threads I have seen that people think that this matchup is in fox's favor.
How?
I have played corrin players that-had corrin not been released- I would be consistently beating. Corrin shuts down my offense and forces me to play defensive and desperately dodge attacks that outrange me and kill easily. I still haven't won a set against a corrin main since before corrin was released.
I don't get it....combos are impossible and I find matches to be very one-sided, sometimes in my favor but mostly in theirs.
Is this really a "good matchup"?

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I play with a Corrin frequently so I'll put my thoughts out in a semi-organized fashion:

Fox definitely wins. Our damage output and speed really help in getting away to reset to neutral if we need to and punishing any option that Corrin picks. We don't win by a large margin, but it's less stressful than you imagine once you learn the way Corrin works.

The Neutral:

A lof of the neutral is played just running around outside of pin range trying to bait out an option. One thing to remember about Corrin is her aerials are quick and ac very well. So what you need to do is run in her range then run out really quickly until they commit or you get a read for a grab/dair/whatever. When you see her pin the ground your best bet is to just hold shield. If you shielded the pin Corrin is GOING to take damage. Just keep holding shield and punish what she does on reaction. We're quick enough that we can catch her no matter if she jumps, kicks, or cancels and this can lead to a large punish.

Utilt starts getting utility around 10-15%. Before this she can shield, and after she can nair. So shield every time after utilt just in case. She falls slow enough that she'll nair, we'll shield, and we can utilt again. From there it's pretty easy to juggle her anywhere from 30-50% more if you can read their DI and pp towards where they are.

Landing kill confirms isn't hard unless they're shielding (course). Corrin is going to try and keep you out with sh nair so just jump at them, they'll sh nair, and then Fox can ff nair/dair into usmash. Usual stuff. Just change up your approach depending on the player.

No reason to use Illusion in neutral unless you have a hard read. It's NOT safe in this MU because of the threat of DFS/B and eating 25%+. Unless you're in a tech chase situation, don't even bother with it. Corrin is also fast enough that she can pin you while in the ending lag, soooooo

Reflecting DFS is always worth it if you can, just cancel it with jump and punish. Most of the time an usmash will do the trick, but I want to lab out other follow ups that you can get. There's the potential for uairs, bair... really anything if you can time it right.

The Advantage:

We demolish Corrin here. Her aerial options are good, but aside from fair they're all really laggy. She's also mid-heavy weight so she falls into uairs perfectly. A good option against a Corrin without a DJ is to jump and bait out the counter and punish OR - if they like dair - just walk below them and bait it out. You MUST shield UNTIL Corrin hits the ground and the green "shockwave" comes out or else you'll eat the landing hitbox and get punished. Once this happens grab/utilt or whatever and get back in advantage.

Offstage we destroy Corrin. Fair AND dair can trade with her up B (which is invincible from frames 10-17 and the hitbox comes out on frame 18) and net an early kill. Imo, it's worth going for EVERY time as you'll only eat 2-3% if you get hit and don't trade, but if you do it could potentially be their stock. The risk/reward is heavily in our favor. If the Corrin saved their double jump go for the fair dragdown to footstool, otherwise they'll recover.

The Disadvantage:

This is the hard part of this MU. Corrin's aerials are MADE to combo and kill off the top. Landing vs. a Corrin is very hard since her hitboxes are so large and last a very long time. We are juggle food. Once you hit about 80% air dodging can end up with you losing a stock to uair (which did NOT get nerfed in kill power, btw). Your best bet is to just reset to a platform and hold shield until you see an opening or, if you can Illusion to the other side of the stage safely, do it. She MIGHT be able to pin you if she was too close which can kill you around 110%, so watch out for that.

Offstage is scary. You really need to mixup your recovery lest you eat a DFS/B! I've died sub 70% due to a bad Illusion that got DFS/B'd and it's not fun. Get good with your Firefox angles and try to save your double jump as much as possible. If you keep getting fair'd, it's ok. That won't kill until 130%+ so be thankful it wasn't an uair or bair! Once you manage to get on the stage you should be pretty good to get back into it.

If you end up around 130%, just laser camp until you find an opening for a hard punish. Dthrow or Uthrow will kill you if they get it so just run around and play safe.

There you go! A quick write-up on this MU. It's tough, but certainly in our favor. Both characters damage output is good, but Fox's great neutral and advantage state are hard for Corrin to contest if the Fox is playing a more bait-and-punish style.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey thanks for the tips. I've also been struggling with the MU but I think it's just because she's new and I'm not used to her tools. That write up was awesome! Thanks!

Elyan

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the great advices, I'm just a bit unsure on this :

Landing kill confirms isn't hard unless they're shielding (course). Corrin is going to try and keep you out with sh nair so just jump at them, they'll sh nair, and then Fox can ff nair/dair into usmash. Usual stuff.
If we're already in the air, how can be avoid being hit by their nair ? Like, jumping into their faces, their nair will hit us right?
And jumping above them, they'll just jump high enough so the nair hit us too ?
I feel like i'm missing a very simple point here ><

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
If we're already in the air, how can be avoid being hit by their nair ? Like, jumping into their faces, their nair will hit us right?
And jumping above them, they'll just jump high enough so the nair hit us too ?
I feel like i'm missing a very simple point here ><
No you're right, I just explained wrong what I was doing (which might not work against everyone, just my particular Corrin).

I was thinking jumping towards them, baiting out the nair, double jump ff nair to usmash kind of thing. Or just jumping around until they commit to something that isn't side b.

Basically the same bait-and-punish game that I was recommending the whole time :p

NoSharp

Smash Rookie
In my opinion Fox wins, but the match up needs to be played very defensively, you need to shield a lot to avoid the pin, it comes out very fast so you need to be ready for it and if they pin to the ground we can punish 80% of the time, Fox's speed makes it really easy to punish, abuse the fair trade with Corrin's up b because it can literally kill them at 0%. Also lazers are pretty good in this matchup since Corrin is so slow, you can lazer from the other side of the stage to force an approach, and Corrin doesn't really have good approaches, your best option is to shield since his throws don't combo into anything at all, but of course you need to mix it up because they do rack up damage. Also when going for up airs watch out for the counter, it is possible to space the up air just right so the you don't get hit with the counter. Also don't run shield too much since there is some vunerability window Corrin can abuse with his side b since it comes out so fast, try approaching walking, Fox's walk speed is pretty good and you can shield instantly so it's a good option.

Top Bottom