• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good is SHFFLNAir to approach?

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
So im pretty new to Lucas. Having dropped and picked up a lot of people in 3.6 so far I think I have finally settled on a main. Now I ask this question because I use this as an approach a lot yet I almost never see anyone else do it from any Lucas vids ive seen.

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
I think it's conceptually better to use DJC fair to approach since it's safer and arguably easier to hit.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Hello there and welcome to the threads. The current version is actually 3.5, whereas v3.6 will be released in the upcoming months. I believe I've explained a bit about Nair in the Lucas guide, but here's a quick breakdown.

Summary
Strengths: beats out crouch cancels especially when followed up with Dtilts. Great on shield. Potential followups based on DI and the last hitbox that connects with an opponent.
Weaknesses: Multi-hit, doesn't trade well, low priority, small range, knockback only results from the latter hitboxes.

==

Explanation
Nair has 2 types of hitboxes- a multi-hit aerial hitbox with knockback at the end of the move, and a grounded hitbox upon landing (if the move hasn't finished in the air that is). This makes Nair a great move for shield pressure & beating out crouch cancels.

SHFFL Nair links fluidly into magnet, grab, or Dtilt depending on the opponents DI and the hitbox that last connects. If you connect with one of the first few hitboxes before landing, the opponent will not travel very far at all, and in some cases stay in place, especially if CC'ing the move. This can lead into magnet if they attempt to retaliate afterwards but have too high % to CC the magnet, or for safe pressure on CC foes lead into Dtilt (frame 3, good hitbox, instant knockback unlike magnet).

As for shield pressure, Nair does great shield damage and can take almost a third of a shield with one full hit. The ground hitbox also adds to the shield damage and in some cases can shield stab. This will allow for some good followups if you land only the grounded hitbox.

Last edited:

D e l t a

A few slight drawbacks to Fair:
The quick burst resulting in potential for an opponent to WD back & whiff or retaliate / shield easily and punish. The Sweetspot can still be CC'd and if you hit the flub hit, you won't get as much out of it as you could with Nair.

I think it's conceptually better to use DJC fair to approach since it's safer and arguably easier to hit.
On the flip side, I'd argue that overall, Nair is easier to land, whereas Fair has better range to work with. I assume this is why you say Fair is easier to hit. I agree that the range and followups are slightly better than Nair and less technical in comparison. Can also go thru projectiles

Knowing when to use Fair or Nair is key to being a better player. Also, purely using DJC aerials is bad since one trade can = death without a double jump. Not to mention you slow down horiztonal movement when you DJC. Don't be so quick to throw out Nair as an approach.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Thanks for the detailed reply! Took me some time before I could look over and examine it in full though.

Hello there and welcome to the threads. The current version is actually 3.5, whereas v3.6 will be released in the upcoming months. I believe I've explained a bit about Nair in the Lucas guide, but here's a quick breakdown.

Yea my b. Ive been used to typing 3.6 I questioned it for ages if it was the current version or not :p

Summary
Strengths: beats out crouch cancels especially when followed up with Dtilts. Great on shield. Potential followups based on DI and the last hitbox that connects with an opponent.
Weaknesses: Multi-hit, doesn't trade well, low priority, small range, knockback only results from the latter hitboxes.

==

Explanation
Nair has 2 types of hitboxes- a multi-hit aerial hitbox with knockback at the end of the move, and a grounded hitbox upon landing (if the move hasn't finished in the air that is). This makes Nair a great move for shield pressure & beating out crouch cancels.

SHFFL Nair links fluidly into magnet, grab, or Dtilt depending on the opponents DI and the hitbox that last connects. If you connect with one of the first few hitboxes before landing, the opponent will not travel very far at all, and in some cases stay in place, especially if CC'ing the move. This can lead into magnet if they attempt to retaliate afterwards but have too high % to CC the magnet, or for safe pressure on CC foes lead into Dtilt (frame 3, good hitbox, instant knockback unlike magnet).

As for shield pressure, Nair does great shield damage and can take almost a third of a shield with one full hit. The ground hitbox also adds to the shield damage and in some cases can shield stab. This will allow for some good followups if you land only the grounded hitbox
Hmm I can definetely already see all those advantages and disadvantages, and ive looked into all these followups at some point, my favourite being linking into a grab depending on DI or crouch cancelling.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, GREATLY appreciated!

D e l t a

Thanks for the detailed reply! Took me some time before I could look over and examine it in full though.

Yea my b. Ive been used to typing 3.6 I questioned it for ages if it was the current version or not :p

Hmm I can definetely already see all those advantages and disadvantages, and ive looked into all these followups at some point, my favourite being linking into a grab depending on DI or crouch cancelling.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, GREATLY appreciated!
I try to be as clear and concise as possible. A lot of times I take what I say and throw it into my Lucas guide lol.

Nair followups are tricky due to the multi-hits and many directions it can send an opponent. Try playing around with it more. Nair typically leads best into another Nair or Fair / PKF. Sometimes Dair / magnet and grab also work. Some time soon I'd like to post a sweet, situational custom combo I created using Nair -> DACUS.

Look up HyperFlame or Neon sometime and watch how they use Nair. There's some interesting followups that you can get in 3.5 that 3.02 didn't have.

Happy to help you. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll answer anything you want to know to the best of my knowledge.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Nair's a good approach option. It's easier to cross up on shield, and sometimes people will underestimate how long it lasts and drop shield and get hit (or just get shield poked in general).

Fair is good too, but it's a lot easier to get punished for doing it if you aren't perfectly spaced (which can be made easier with DJC anyway).

HyperFlame

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that MANY MANY people will immediately shield after getting hit with nair at low percents.

There's just something about it that makes people just sit in shield, so I almost always can get a grab off of it.

Crescent Monkey likes to do that a lot. Nair -> Grab. It's not usually a true combo.

Top Bottom