• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How For glory 1-on-1 works?

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
As of late Ive been playing some 1-on-1 so i can get myself better at this game, but im just getting matched with people way above my skill level and im getting destroyed and its kinda demoralizing.
So my question is how the matchup system in for 1-on-1 works? Is it by games played and percentage, lag or something else?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
im just getting matched with people way above my skill level and im getting destroyed and its kinda demoralizing.
Yeah that's basically how it works.

Seriously though, I think there is some kind of match making system that matches you with people with similar Win/Loss ratios. This probably doesn't properly work till around 200 matches or so. Don't give up though, getting stomped on 1v1 is a great way to improve. Just stick at it, you'll start to notice yourself improving in no time :)

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803

Seriously though, I think there is some kind of match making system that matches you with people with similar Win/Loss ratios. This probably doesn't properly work till around 200 matches or so. Don't give up though, getting stomped on 1v1 is a great way to improve. Just stick at it, you'll start to notice yourself improving in no time :)
So its like a elo system? Still if it is its seems to be a bit poorly implemented cause in the meantime ive got my bum served on a silver plater by two randoms again :p
Maybe there aren't that many people playing in my zone wich i find improbable.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
So its like a elo system? Still if it is its seems to be a bit poorly implemented cause in the meantime ive got my bum served on a silver plater by two randoms again :p
Maybe there aren't that many people playing in my zone wich i find improbable.
Yeah I guess you could call it that. You're not the only one that things it's kind of bad either, a lot of people think they could have done a better job. However, getting constantly bopped every match makes all the more rewarding when you actually do start to improve and win games. Good luck :)

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Sakurai's word on the matter was that it was somehow based off of your "Global Smash Power", your single player minigame ability.
The thing is, there is Global Smash Power for just about every single player mode. So, do you think it means that you would have to have a high GSP on all single player modes to get matched with good players? Really though, I am constantly getting matched up with bad players even though my win rate is fairly high, as well as my GSP in some modes. So if you will, please explain this to me.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575

This sounds right, because I just recently got to 200 matches and all of a sudden I'm being paired against people way more challenging.

Spirst

I've been paired against people who had win rates of around 40% while mine is at 94% with over 300 games played. Not to mention, I STILL get a number of people who seem more casual/average as well as some who spam one move and can't even recovery properly. If there's a matchmaking system in place, it's not a very competent one. Personally, I feel it's more "random" than anything.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah I guess you could call it that. You're not the only one that things it's kind of bad either, a lot of people think they could have done a better job. However, getting constantly bopped every match makes all the more rewarding when you actually do start to improve and win games. Good luck :)
Except you'll be too angry for improving on your game because other people not even letting you move.

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
I've been paired against people who had win rates of around 40% while mine is at 94% with over 300 games played. Not to mention, I STILL get a number of people who seem more casual/average as well as some who spam one move and can't even recovery properly. If there's a matchmaking system in place, it's not a very competent one. Personally, I feel it's more "random" than anything.
Random might be the right word there, still after many games played, I think the matchmaking system cares more about the location and lag (or quality of the internet connection) to decide opponents instead of skill.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
1v1 FG is literally random. Theres no ranking system far as i can tell. I bounce between spammy ****ers, total idiots in general, and OMGWTFPWNBBQ strong lol.

You just have to keep at it, do some friend battles with people on here, you get better quick. I think i started off with a ~25% winrate or so, but 3 days later i was up to 60%.
Bulk of it was learning how to deal with troll players. People that do nothing but spam projectiles, sideb little macs, counters, etc. Once you learn how to counter those kinds of people, you start having the opposite problem you have. Now i almost never find a match thats at MY level because its all spammy noobs and theyre super easy to counter for me now.

Chin up and keep going is about all i can say. Watch replays of yourself, dont let yourself do the same thing every time (ive noticed i have a bad habit of trying to dashattack a LOT, trying to work on that). You'll get there eventually.

If youre interested heres a video of me (green lucario) facing another lucario. This is an actual fight, and i had a blast in it. Not professional level but theres a lot of good movements in there if interested. You can also look up tournament players, theres a bunch on youtube already.

Last edited:

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
The thing is, there is Global Smash Power for just about every single player mode. So, do you think it means that you would have to have a high GSP on all single player modes to get matched with good players? Really though, I am constantly getting matched up with bad players even though my win rate is fairly high, as well as my GSP in some modes. So if you will, please explain this to me.
But really, I've done 865 matches in 1v1 For Glory, yet I'm still matched with bad, spammy players. Like a lot of you have been saying, I do think that the matchmaking is completely random, which does suck.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
1v1 FG is literally random. Theres no ranking system far as i can tell. I bounce between spammy ****ers, total idiots in general, and OMGWTFPWNBBQ strong lol.

You just have to keep at it, do some friend battles with people on here, you get better quick. I think i started off with a ~25% winrate or so, but 3 days later i was up to 60%.
Bulk of it was learning how to deal with troll players. People that do nothing but spam projectiles, sideb little macs, counters, etc. Once you learn how to counter those kinds of people, you start having the opposite problem you have. Now i almost never find a match thats at MY level because its all spammy noobs and theyre super easy to counter for me now.

Chin up and keep going is about all i can say. Watch replays of yourself, dont let yourself do the same thing every time (ive noticed i have a bad habit of trying to dashattack a LOT, trying to work on that). You'll get there eventually.

If youre interested heres a video of me (green lucario) facing another lucario. This is an actual fight, and i had a blast in it. Not professional level but theres a lot of good movements in there if interested. You can also look up tournament players, theres a bunch on youtube already.
You get better if you learn from your loses, but if you rage, then you don't get better, and not raging's impossible with the amount of bull**** once faces when put againist a Sheik or Zero Suit Samus.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
You get better if you learn from your loses, but if you rage, then you don't get better, and not raging's impossible with the amount of bull**** once faces when put againist a Sheik or Zero Suit Samus.
Thats what i always tell my friends in any situation. Game or otherwise. You learn from failure, not success. If you succeeded in everything then when you finally fail you dont know how to handle it, and it will cascade into something much worse.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Thats what i always tell my friends in any situation. Game or otherwise. You learn from failure, not success. If you succeeded in everything then when you finally fail you dont know how to handle it, and it will cascade into something much worse.
No, never failing would be much better, losing's the worst possible thing that can happen to a human being, there's no feeling as horrible or crushing as the feeling of losing to someone, especially on a competitive game where there's a lot at stake, even without money, especially when everyone's flaunting their 80% ranking and you've got a 26% ranking because some Bowser kept reading everything you do every single time.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
There's a difference between having an 80% ranking and earning one. Pwning n00bs is easy; winning against someone who knows what they're doing, not so much. That's why the win rate is such a pointless stat. It isn't pertinent to the skill of the people you've beaten, just the quantity. Somebody who earns their wins against good players is better than someone who can beat bad players, regardless of the difference in win rate.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Losing is demoralizing, but it is important to pay attention to why you lost. Gathering from my lost matches, I learned that I was too easy to read. This resulted in my switching my approach multiple times, which made me better as a player over all.

I still have tons to learn when it comes to SSB4 Competitiveness though.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
its really unfortunate but if there is a non-random match making system, it has nothing to do with 1v1 matches played, win %, number of wins, or anything of the sort. I've logged over 600 for glory 1v1's so far, and it seems like I come across a half decent player 1 out of every 10 matches. I know i'm not improving when i'm just beating on beginners/casual players all the time.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing against me, hit me up with a message and we'll make it happen!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
High GSP opponents could just be ones who are really good at home run contest or something. Fighting AI doesn't correlate perfectly with skill against real players and there are a good few single player modes that don't even involve fighting AI. There is probably a random element to it but, even if you are matched based on GSP as Sakurai once claimed you would be, I can't see GSP being indicative of relevant skills.

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
No, never failing would be much better, losing's the worst possible thing that can happen to a human being, there's no feeling as horrible or crushing as the feeling of losing to someone, especially on a competitive game where there's a lot at stake, even without money, especially when everyone's flaunting their 80% ranking and you've got a 26% ranking because some Bowser kept reading everything you do every single time.
I can guarantee you you need to loose games if you are in the hoppes of getting even slightly better at this game, for example after getting my arse handed to me plenty of times i got my winrate at ~20% , so what did i do?
I learned from my mistakes, i noticed i was repeating myself alot and getting pownded because of that, so i decided to change my gameplay style because of my losses, now i have ~40% winrate and im still climbing.
Just a quick tip, if you are playing to solely to win, you are doing it wrong, try to go with the mentality that you have to get better rather than win 100% and you will notice something change :)

Last edited:

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I don't think Global Smash Power has anything to do with online matchmaking. I'm sure Sakurai said that there is a matchmaking system, but it's not viewable by the player. However I'm starting to think this matchmaking system is only going to be in the Wii U version, because it seems completely random from my experience. I've played over 500 games with a 70%+ W/L ratio, (and no I don't fight noobs over and over and yes, I keep fighting people I lose to), and I go from fighting total Mac noobs with garbage connections to solid players with decent internet on an even basis. Pls fix this, Sakurai.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Except you'll be too angry for improving on your game because other people not even letting you move.
Haha yeah I saw your posts in the player search forum. I'm sorry, but this game is obviously not for you. Everyone is going to have to lose to improve, and if that's not something you can deal with, I'd say just forget about it.

Jz0089

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4141-3295-5808
I can guarantee you you need to loose games if you are in the hoppes of getting even slightly better at this game, for example after getting my arse handed to me plenty of times i got my winrate at ~20% , so what did i do?
I learned from my mistakes, i noticed i was repeating myself alot and getting pownded because of that, so i decided to change my gameplay style because of my losses, now i have ~40% winrate and im still climbing.
Just a quick tip, if you are playing to solely to win, you are doing it wrong, try to go with the mentality that you have to get better rather than win 100% and you will notice something change :)
Personally I'm really having fun switching characters... and when my opponent do the same. Differents strategies means more opportunities to win or lose.. the core of this game is having fun more than to lose or win IMO

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
How do you see others' win rates? I don't think I've noticed

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
You don't. I've actually found about two people in For Glory that I communicated with after.
Yeah, i wish there was a better way to communicate with people after playing them in for glory. I've come across a few really good players who i'd love to play against again. I'd much rather play those guys again, instead of playing 20+ matches in for glory before I find a half decent player than doesn't quit after losing game 1

Top Bottom