• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How exactly am I supposed to practice?

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I hear everybody say I need to practice to get better since I'm incredibly mediocre at this game but my biggest issue is I have no clue how exactly I should practice. I tried the 99 stock level 1 CPU thing but it really doesn't teach me how to read, something I'm having an issue with. And when I tried applying what I was practicing in those matches I just found myself getting bodied by somebody who can't even tech. It seems the only other way to get daily practice is For Glory but thats just...Yeah. No thanks.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Are there any friends or family members you have to spar with? Maybe find someone online (not for glory) Try watching videos and going to local tourneys

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to assume you don't have friends nearby who play the game because you wouldn't have made this thread. For Glory, regardless of how bad it is, is a decent choice because there is immediate access to other people (duh). Thus, you have a better understanding of the MUs but the lag makes things terrible. If you're looking to go to tournaments, you could go find a local tournament and ask people to play a butt-load of friendlies. My last idea would be to ask around on here for people looking to spar and fight them a lot.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
First of all, you need to find a character you're willing to put a lot of time and effort into learning.

Judging by your sig it looks like you already got two but I would suggest only focusing on one at a time instead of both at once. Every character plays differently after all and some require different methods, approaches, techs, and so forth.

After that, there are actually several different ways to practice and get better...

1. Read or watch guides on said character
Sometimes it takes more than just practice to get better with a character. You need to know what they're capable of. You need to know their weaknesses, what their combos are, what can KO an opponent and how (and at what percent), and their match-ups. This should probably be the first step to begin with, because how are you gonna practice something you aren't even aware of...?

2. Practicing against human opponents is the most optimal
Practicing against CPUs are all well and good when you need to practice a certain tech or combo; however they simply cannot compare to an actual opponent. CPUs really don't take advantage of a whole lot the character can do whereas a human opponent will. Not only that they will adapt and read you, possibly know your characters weaknesses, and a whole lot more to top it off.

SmashBoards has a section for both 3DS and Wii U to find opponents to go against.
There are Discord Groups (although I have never joined one) that are dedicated to Smash and finding opponents.
There's even Anthers Ladder; however from my understanding that is a much more competitive environment.

I could even help you practice if you wish although I don't think I'm perfectly suited to be a teacher as I'm still improving myself.

3. Don't forget about Training Mode
This is useful in it's own ways as you can practice tech as long as you want, and even practice what combos and mix-ups work at what percents against certain characters as you can always change the percents. It's a really good way to at the very least hammer the combo/skill into your brain, but don't get discouraged if you can't pull it off right away against an actual opponent.

4. Watching actual matches/Tournaments are also good
Maybe this goes with the first point, but whether you're aiming to be a competitive player or want to get better just to simply be better watching actual matches with your character is also a really good idea. You might learn a lot of tricks from good players.

That's really all I can think of practice wise. One thing I should probably mention is it's also wise to take note of your habits while practicing or even during an actual match. We all gottem, and a lot of us are sometimes not even aware we have them to begin with. Saving replays and watching them can help, and even uploading them and posting them so people can give you advice can also help. Sometimes you just need an extra pair of eyes to help you out and someone to point out what you're doing wrong.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

Solarman432

Smash Rookie
Play real people online and locally if you can. CPUs aren't a good source of practice.

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
Find a sparring partner, or make a group with some people who are about similar skill level to you, some slightly better as well, practising against people constantly means they can give you feed back, and in a large group, you can begin to figure out habits and patterns that are common or appear in certain play styles, and learn to punish and learn your own habits too and how to avoid getting punished, sparring partners are always the best way to practise.

Top Bottom