• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does ZSS deal with faster characters?

Megasabin

Smash Rookie
I've been playing ZSS and having some success until I've started to go against characters like captain falcon, sonic, and sheik.

ZSS's b moves and smash attacks come out kind of slow. Slow enough that any of the above characters can close the gap and hit her before the move even gets out. I feel like im relegated to foward tilt, down tilt, and dash attacks only for battles against these guys and its really hard to fight an entire battle with just those.

The side B and side smash just come out too slow to hit any of them. Also captain falcons kick or punch will actually go through the whip and he will hit you unphased, which is really hard to deal with.

Anyone have any ideas?

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
From what I tried,

I would say try her side B for long range protection. Up smash or UP B for aerial protection. UP tilt is good for faster characters as it is a faster move.

I would suggest using her gun in standing and aerial positions from long range. You might hit or you might not but the key is to force them to do something about it and you counterattack. (Kinda like peach throwing turnips).

If they jump over the move(gun/whip) then UP B, Up smash, up tilt, heck maybe even down smash if they whiff and they close to you.

Her Up B and UP A covers alot of range vertically so you can counter a stomp of C.Falcon of ganondorf and maybe challenge the famous knee and other moves. Of course Shield when necessary too especially with the improved perfect shielding technique

Make sure you give yourself good position on the long range attacks.

ZSS is also very quick as well so UAir and Bair can be used rather effectively. Only problem is priority though. Use her speed to her advantage even if the opponent is faster(there not many that are), you can still be effective with her speed as speed is very important in brawl and melee.

Basically using the gun as set up and side B for long range(you gonna have to learn to when to use side B, doing it randomly will get you killed, you can try it maybe when they get up or when they are on the edge). UP B, Up smash, up tilt, and do the KO moves when appropriate.

I am still learning though. I am sure others here can think of better suggestions.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
what i try to do mostly is just keep them stunned on the ground as much as possible...they will feel more pressured when facing u and all the stunning gives u control over them. mostly i just manipulate all my stun/whip moves to the fullest.

wat k4polo said is good all of it works and ZSS can still own the faster characters just takes a bit of time

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I haven't had much practice with those you mentioned other than Sonic. Stun gun makes approaching you very difficult for him. Sonic has no projectiles and few/no high priority moves. Maybe his Down or Side B will go through a Stun Gun, but maybe not. If you don't want to camp like a ***** in friendlies that's ok, but keep the pressure on. Forward Tilt is pretty **** good, I've learned. Space well, and keep the pressure up, up, up.

What not to do is be predictable. That's a problem I've been having. Z Sam is a fairly predictable character, I think, to begin with. What else are you going to do at this distance from the opponent? What about this distance? If it means not using Forward B when you should, then don't do it. Forward Smash seems too laggy for my tastes and I generally refrain from it, other than when I've hit a Stun Gun. Also, Don't forget about Down B. It has some good invuln on it. Play smart and mix it up. If you only have a few moves, make sure you use them in different ways (do a few dash attacks that put you on the other side of their shield, then shield cancel your dash and F Tilt.) Space well and don't feel bad about playing campy. Hope it helps.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
down smash. this move is almost essential against good players. it helps her KO and it gets you free damage. Most people run into it, but you can mind game it in when mixed with neutral B's. I actually would say she was predictable at all. I just think people are using her in a predictable way because they arent used to a fast defensive character (yes, she is defensive). you need to incorporate her down B into her approaches because it can KO and deals lots off damage.

Snakeee

Smash Master
down smash. this move is almost essential against good players. it helps her KO and it gets you free damage. Most people run into it, but you can mind game it in when mixed with neutral B's. I actually would say she was predictable at all. I just think people are using her in a predictable way because they arent used to a fast defensive character (yes, she is defensive). you need to incorporate her down B into her approaches because it can KO and deals lots off damage.
She's not really a completely defensive character. She is defensive in approaching, but once you get your hit in or get your opponent in the air, it's alot more offense.

Top Bottom