• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does shield stun buff affect Ryu?

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Title.

I'm honestly thinking this'll help Ryu a lot, especially in landing Collarbone Breaker or just a defensive game in general. Shakunetsu becomes even better, and I'm sure we can find a way to get something into strong Ftilt. Maybe dtilt or close range Shakunetsu? This helps Ryu though, IMO. He becomes a little scarier on shield, Bair and maybe fsmash are much safer, etc.

What do you think? How does this change affect Ryu?

Epok

Smash Ace
Honestly I am surprised that it took this long for anyone to start talking about this. This ma be a big deal for him because his aerials are safe on shield. He can actually approach and not have to worry about being pregnant punished every time. Plus since his move are fast, high damage and low lag, side tilt set ups maybe too easy.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Honestly I am surprised that it took this long for anyone to start talking about this. This ma be a big deal for him because his aerials are safe on shield. He can actually approach and not have to worry about being pregnant punished every time. Plus since his move are fast, high damage and low lag, side tilt set ups maybe too easy.
I was surprised I didn't see any threads about this already. This could be huge for Ryu and make his already scary up-close game even better.

Might even be a stretch but if this ends up helping Ryu a lot I can easily see a top 10 spot, or top 15. Maybe I'm overexaggerating..

Last edited:

Shadow_13

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6916-4604
I fully believe Ryu could hold that #10 spot. Playing against my friend this morning (Who is an amazing Ryu) felt like the impossible up-hill battle. The only character I could win with was my #1 Main. Samus, WFT, Fox.... They didn't stand a chance. Ryu's attacks are so much safer and it is hard to punish. Even Roy had a hard time.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
More than anything else, his down tilts are much safer. It's super easy to zone out an opponent and keep them at a distance that they can't punish you for. Down tilts are now free, and you can easily rack up damage by throwing in a well spaced down smash.

I played against my friend (who is entirely better than me) and his pika and I didn't feel like it was a one sided battle anymore. I actually got close to two stocking him on bf, and still managed to handidly take the game. It requires hard concentration, but Ryu is a lot safer now.

I'd like to reiterate how awesome it is that down tilts (all of them) are safe on shield. A lot of characters, specifically the small ones, that were too hard to keep out before suddenly became pretty straightforward to zone.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Honestly...he's easy mode to me now. Like...too easy. I can auto pilot a bit vs people and I could never do that with Ryu before. Bair is retardedly safe and so is Fair and Dair.

I wanna go on record that pretty much all the high level players in NJ/NY say Ryu is top 5 easy and with this last patch he's prolly 3rd or 4th.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Honestly...he's easy mode to me now. Like...too easy. I can auto pilot a bit vs people and I could never do that with Ryu before. Bair is retardedly safe and so is Fair and Dair.

I wanna go on record that pretty much all the high level players in NJ/NY say Ryu is top 5 easy and with this last patch he's prolly 3rd or 4th.
Yeah, this update made Ryu feel a lot better for sure. Everything's so safe, it's stupid. But I love it.

Shakunetsu becomes even better, Bair is even safer (probably flat out unpunishable spaced now), etc. This patch literally shot Ryu up in viability, and he was already viable as ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf this shield stun thing just enough so it's not this stupid in the future, so let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
lol this patch is making me seriously consider switching mains to Ryu, just gotta get consistency with inputs under pressure now.

Character is dumb safe with the shield stun changes, landing aerials > d-tilt or true shoryuken messes with anyone's OoS punish game. I think he's easily 3rd to Sheik and ZSS, though all 3 are probably in a tier of their own.

It's funny how two patches ago his safety on shield was ridiculously awful and now it's probs the best in the game.

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I love Ryu-ing and now I love it a tad more because its so hard to stop.
I've gotten Shaku inputs down and I think it is amazing this patch. Next is the true shoryuken for me.

Top Bottom