• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Falcon feels for a melee player ?

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Hello !

Sorry to create a thread that won't add much to this board but I have a weird question to ask...

I'm a melee player, and i'll be playing at a local smash 4 "tournament" in two days and I've only played smash 4 twice, and it was long ago so the patches probably changed the situation since then

Anyway, there shouldn't be a ton of "good" player, it's kind of a janky tournament, but I was wondering if I should go fox or falcon, I'm sure thoses character are very different from their melee incarnation but I wanted the opinion of someone who actually experimented the "switch", and if you had some usefull info(I'm not hoping to "learn smash 4 in two day without acutally playing it" but just to know some similar stuff between melee and sm4sh falcon, to know what to expect)

Last edited:

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
I'd say use mostly Falcon, and maybe Fox as a last resort maybe. I didn't play Melee at above a lower-level much, but some things you should keep in mind for the transition from Melee Falcon to Smash 4 Falcon (I'm assuming that you don't know too much about Smash 4 based on the two times you've played it, so sorry if I'm telling you something you already know):

1) Raptor Boost doesn't combo into knee in this game, it's a kill move that can kill at about 100% if you're at rage (the higher percent you're at, the more knockback you'll do on your attacks). So if you're gonna use Raptor Boost, it should just be to kill. Basically don't use it if they're below 100%.

2) Up-throw sends them too far to combo into a knee. Instead, opt for down-throw. Down-throw to up-air strings is Falcon's bread-and-butter in this game. Falcon's dash-grab range is really good too. You wanna go for grabs to down-throws as much as you can.

3) Sweetspot Knee is harder to hit, but the dair spike seems to be a little easier to hit for me.

4) Falcon Punch is really weak. F-Smash will be stronger than Falcon Punch at 70% and below. So unless you're gonna style, I probably wouldn't bother with it. Reversed Falcon Punch is really good otherwise though.

5) Don't Falcon Kick to help your recovery.

6) Aerial Raptor Boost is harder to spike with. You'll grab the ledge though if you do an aerial Raptor Boost towards it.

7) If you hold A (or whatever your normal attack button is), you'll automatically do the Gentleman if it connects.

8) There's no edge-hogging in this game, and Falcon Dive is better in my opinion than it was in past games.

9) Dash-dancing is a little different in this game, it's probably not worth learning though unless you plan on playing this game more.

10) Up-tilt spikes if you hit them with the heel.

11) Down-tilt sends them away instead of popping them up. Good edge-guarding tool, along with up-tilt.

There's probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting, but I hope I could help somehow. Best of luck!

EDIT: Added 10 and 11

Last edited:

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
Wow ! Thanks for the great reply !

5) Don't Falcon Kick to help your recovery.

Haha, I did it, once. While plumeting to my death, mashing the jump button, I quickly realised that it wasn't a good idea to do that anymore....

Nice to see that down throw and up air is still there : D

Holding A for the gentleman works in melee as well, but only if the second jab hit as well

I saw how dash throtting worked, I'll se if I can do i in between stocks, maybe I'll have time to get it down : o)

Anyway, thanks again for this text, I'm sure it'll be very usefull !

Last edited:
Top Bottom