• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does attack speed compare from Brawl to Smash 4?

Donkeybutter

Smash Rookie
I guess this might be kind of too broad of a question to answer simply with so much varied data, but in general how does the speed of attacks in this game compare to Brawl? I'm mostly thinking in terms of ending lag, landing lag, start up, and I guess IASA/auto-cancel frames if you know enough about that too.

I've heard Brawl players say that attack speed has been slowed down in Smash 4 compared to Brawl, or that there's more amounts of ending/landing lag. But these mostly seem like anecdotal arguments (as I doubt most ppl have compared direct stats between most veterans), so I'm curious how does the actual hard data compare for those who are familiar in depth with characters from both games? I'm also curious if rolls/dodges are actually that much faster, because despite the uproar about super fast rolls in this game, I know a few characters like Mario have about the same frame data for rolls.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out with this. From what I've gathered so far, it seems that actually a decent amount of veterans like Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Yoshi, Bowser, Luigi, Mario, Pika, Fox, Link, Toon Link, Falcon, and Ganon have at least slightly faster attack speed in Smash 4, and I've also calculated that the average grab for all characters is basically the same for both games (~8 frames). I know that some veterans like Falco, Marth, MK are much slower, but it seems like more the exception than the rule. I feel like people have cherry picked the most nerfed characters to try and give the impression of slower attacks, but I'm not sure it applies across all 34 (soon to be 35) veterans.

It just seems like a common argument from Brawl players who don't dig Smash 4 is: "Yea well movement speed is slightly faster in Smash 4, but attacking is so much laggier that Smash 4 is actually slower than Brawl.'

Though I will say, autocancel and IASA frames do seem to be worse in this game, but that's just one of many factors.

Anybody have some more insight on this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom