• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you talk to owners of potential venues?

shapular

Smash Ace
I'm not very good at talking to strangers in general, and randomly asking someone if I can host a tournament at their venue seems like a huge task. Like, what do I say? "Hey, I play video games and is it okay if me and some other guys come to your store once a week and play games?" Doesn't sound very convincing. I don't know how to go about it. I have a couple of game stores I'm looking at that might be easier to talk to but then there's this Middle Eastern food/pizza restuarant that has some room that might work too but I don't know if the owner even knows anything about video games. What do I say to a guy like that?

ZenBren

Smash Rookie
I just recently did this. Just call them up first, and say something nice and professional sounding like "I wanted to inquire about rentals fees for your venue." and then if you feel kind of uncomfortable saying " Playing video games." you could say something like "I'm looking to host a contest of skill." or something to that effect. Don't worry! It's part of their job to talk to people and be friendly, you'll be fine.

PND

Smash Champion
They want to sell their venue just as much as you want to rent it. I've had MORE success letting them know it's a videogame tournament up-front because then you can talk logistics. How many outlets? Where are they located? Does the venue have good internet for streaming? What's the policy like on outside food and drink? Do they allow photos/videos to be taken? (Most do, there are a couple that don't.) There are some venues that won't charge you anything (they'll charge you a deposit) but will take a cut from everyone coming in at the door. If they are doing that, find out their price -- a $20 cover is pretty prohibitive, but $5 isn't bad. Find out how late they can stay open -- I've been to tourneys where we've been kicked out at 11 and the bracket hasn't finished yet.

Be up front with what you are hosting. There is no shame in hosting a videogame tournament. And if the venue isn't comfortable with it, or perhaps they're out of your price range, ask them if they know any other suitable venues. They have more contacts than you do, let them help. If they are too expensive, but the hall would be perfect for a major or something of the sort, let them know. Tell them they might be a bit out of your range at the moment, but you'd like to hold events there once you've built up attendance.

The biggest thing: be completely honest, be completely up-front about everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom