• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you shine without the reflector stalling?

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
As in, I try to shine, but it doesn't end as quickly. I looked up a video but I'm still confused.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
You can jump out of it 4 frames after activation.
It doesn't end quickly by itself, you need to cancel it with a jump >aerial or wavedash

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
Oh. So in other words I need to down-special then do something like Jump or Dair like, almost instantly after?

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
Ah I see. Hoo boy, and my fingers begin to crumble even more than they already have x-x.

Magellan

Smash Cadet
When you shine (use your reflector), it takes a certain amount of time for the animation ends (allowing you to do other stuff). You obviously have figured this out. In order to make it faster, give you more options, make you much harder to hit, and open up a ton of combo possibilities, you can jump cancel your shine. To jump cancel a shine, merely press jump after you shine. Frame 4 is when you can do. Just try shining and then pressing jump. You'll quickly see the difference. You can do this in the air if you have a double jump handy, too. All it does is make you faster. There are endless possibilities as to what you can do with it.

Now, if you're talking about SPAMMING shines. You might be thinking of Waveshining and Double (or Multi if you're just that cool) Shines.

Waveshining is done by wavedashing out of a shine. What do you need to do first to wavedash? Jump. So since you can jump cancel a shine, you can go straight into a wavedash. You can get good enough to shine somebody across the stage or just shine into some sweet combos.

Multi-Shining is merely shining after canceling your shine. There are a variety of ways to do this. One way is doing a shine, JC (jump cancel), air dodge down, shine, and repeat.

It all sounds wicked crazy. You're right. It is wicked crazy to do and even more wicked crazy to watch. It is very possible, though, if you just practice. Start with wavedashing and learning to JC your shine and you will get there eventually!

Magellan

Smash Cadet
You can shine for as long as you want, the problem is you can't stay in the air for an infinite amount of time. You can only jump cancel a shine when you have a jump. If you use a shine without a JC you will begin to sink before you can shine again. It isn't about shining, it is merely the physics of the game. What goes up, must come down.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
What I do is, shine and jump out at frame 4 and air dodge into the ground. You'll get into this pattern really easily and start wave dashing out the shine when you air dodge.

Top Bottom