• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play Zamus?

Ultimatepoptart

Smash Rookie
So I've been thinking about maining Zamus, but I want to know where her strengths lie so that I can actually be decent with her. I've got a couple of questions and really hope you guys can help me with them.

Most importantly , I would really like new ways to approach with her. As of now, the only approach I ever use is a dash attack followed up by a utilt. I read that this was great because it stopped shieldgrabbers, ( which it has), but I feel that I am being too predictable. It's been a fairly good approach, but I need other options so my opponent doesn't always know what's coming.
My next question is about her pistol. Should I use it a lot or not at all? In some matchups, I find myself spamming it, but in others I never touch it. Is it good to keep out a constant stun threat or should I be worrying myself with other techniques?
Also, after a I use either a dthrow/uthrow, what should I do? I know that the uair is good, but I know that won't work forever, it's far too predictable. UpB is nice too but it's hard to get others to fall for it. If you have any really effective ways of getting opponentsin the air, please share them with me.

Lastly, how do you deal with Ness? It seems like all of his moves have priority over everything else, so I never really know how I should be fighting him. I have to be more careful when I fight him than anyone else because his bthrow kills easily.

TL;DR version: How do you approach with ZSS, Is her pistol important to use, how do you follow up a Dthrow/Uthrow, Tips for fighting Ness?

I really would love to main Zamus, but there are a few other characters I do better with and may have to use them if I can't get Zamus' playstyle down.

All help is appreciated, thanks.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. There are plenty approaches to her. Dash attack and up tilt and down tilt is good. I usually use Side B air and standing and the stun gun as well. What you want to do is use her to her advantage and recognize her disadvantage. Since she doesnt have alot of priority, you have to play smarter abd even defensive sometimes.. Her Side B of course has alot of priority.

Her advantage is range and speed. So that how I would suggest you use her. Play the range game on your opponent is one approach. use side B and stun gun. If it hit then follow through with your combo or go on the offense with your speed. Her stun gun is slow but that could actually be a good thing as it allows for setups.

Any time they above you, UP A will handle most situations. UP B is good, and jumping up Air is good. also shielding isn't bad as well.

In general what I do, is spam stun gun and side B for long range protection. Dont use them too closely tho or you get punished. Close up you have the tilts to handle up close. The point is to get the opponent to react then you counterattack. The B or side B may or may not hit but you force them do something about it.

Down throw and UP throw cna get them aerial. Mix up your air game tho. Dashing UP Smash is a good way to get them aerial, and has great vertical range.

Notice that her strength is the AIR. So you want to make the opponent jump by using your specials. That is one approach as well. Recognizing the opponent is in air is critical for all ZSS players as that is when you can pillar them and is where your fast KO moves are.

ON Ness, I suggest you take the defensive approach and play the range game. Shield Grabbing will be your friend. Dont try to clash attacks with him if possible. but once you get the first hit you go on the offensive and use her speed and quick aerials.

Hope this help a bit. While I main ZSS, I actually play alot of characters.

Check out the ZSS guide on the thread in this section.

Top Bottom