• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play against aerial walls as Fox?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
I have a lot of trouble dealing with this strategy, especially against characters like Sheik (fair walls), Falcon (nair walls), and Peach (float+fishing with fair walls).

It feels like my opponents will put out all these hitboxes with high priority and they'll space it so that it's difficult for me to go in. I usually try to stay close enough so that I can sneak in after their hitbox disappears, but then my opponents will mix up with things like fade back to dash attack with Sheik or raptor boost with Falcon. And I feel like this strat takes away a lot of my options. I usually feel like I can't dair because they'll win the trade with their stronger move. If I try to do running shine or run in JC grab, they'll think I'm getting too close to them and do their mixup.

I've thought about approaching with shield and doing stuff like baiting their bait, but I've heard that this doesn't seem like a good idea. Double jump mixups with Fox's bair, etc. seems like an OK idea, but I don't know how much priority bair has and it feels like Fox shouldn't have so much trouble getting in against this strat but idk. Any advice or tips?

Example:

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Running shield is fine, but you can also just walk forward and upsmash, or walk forward dash dance catch them, or dash dance to not get hit, possibly timing a jump in on during their decent so they can't retailiate with another aerial wall.

To maximize the effectiveness of approaching shield, only run when you can get past your initial dash and shield so that you'll slide forward blocking. Otherwise, walk forward and shield for a similar effect.

You can also do a rising aerial in place (nair, fair, or bair) and potentially beat their aerial wall. Just don't go all in.

pyroplushy

Smash Rookie
WD/pivot utilt can beat some aerials.

If the other player is going to give you central stage by retreating a lot then take it and use the space to mix in lasers and try to push them further into the corner.

When they put up a wall like that they are throwing out very active hitboxes, but they are vulnerable when they land, and they can be shielded and CCed. If you can run in shield to block the attack then shine OoS you could get a free opening or if they're in the corner an edge guard situation.

Also look for patterns. That falcon never did more than 3 retreating aerials in a row without doing something else, so if you notice this then you can run in and punish that last aerial without worrying about getting hit by another retreating aerial.

hope this helped

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Be comfortable not rushing in at all times, laser a lot ! Just don't mess up lasers vs falcon or u ded.
Full hop nair to catch anyone in the air. You can also challenge (and destroy) sheik and peach fair with a well timed usmash.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Baiting out a bait isn't necessarily a bad idea its just the hardest option to pick on how to get in on your opponent, you don't want to wait until they win the neutral then try to reverse it, you want to outright win the neutral and go from there. What you want to bait out is something they do out of habit, doesn't have to be a particularly bad habit, just something you can punish, which is virtually anything if you know its coming.

As far as getting punished for drill marth and sheik can very easily punish you for that if you are full hopping into it because both of their uptilts murder foxes drill so I would suggest doing short hop drill as an approach, it works much much better that way because its so much harder to react to, WHEN to use it though is a judgement call on your part.

As to HOW to beat a nair wall usually you can throw out on upsmash, or bait them into doing it while your at low % and punish with a JC grab out of a CC or a Down tilt. Even at trade percents you can just upsmash pretty much whatever wall they are trying to put up and you will either trade or outright beat them with it, up smash is NOT just a kill move, it has a lot of other great uses.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7

lasers can get them to stop being as annoying and approach you, though that doesn't do too much. usually i puinsh OoS or catch their jump once i figure out their rhythm.

Top Bottom