• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you manage to have fun on Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Losing is a part of the deal. Only a few people never lose. I will agree that GSP matchmaking ends up pitting players in a sliding scale. Happens to me all the time. First battle is always tougher and you have to lose several matches in a row until your GSP sinks to the next skill bracket. Then of course the match is too easy lol. And if they or you rematch and you win a bunch your GSP soars back to or maybe a little higher. But as soon as you break with that easier group your NEXT match will undoubtedly be just as hard if not harder than the original start.

Another thing to "blame" is ssbu new game mechanics. It was a harder adjustment for me going from 4 to this than it was to go from Brawl to 4. I eventually reached my usual skill level but it took twice as long. But as with the previous games I was able to get in before the vast majority of other players had reached the same level. But going on 6 months after release I'd say 3 mil gsp or higher will be a good cutoff for expecting a challenge in your case.

I am willing to bet if these matches were not visibly ranked losing streaks would not play as hard a mind game on folks as it apparently does.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
i am not blind dude, but don't think all of your past posts are all of a sudden forgotten just because you make a new thread,
and i can easily answer your so called question..if you don't have fun and knowing from your past posts you probably won't in the future either..DO NOT PLAY THE GAME THEN IF IT AFFECTS YOU SO MUCH
funny..i don't see myself telling you to git gud in fact all i did was calling you out on your behavior after so many people basically gave you great advice in the past but you keep whining about the same stuff over and over again afterwards
it is already obvious to everyone you do not want to change and that's cool it's your life my dude.
You're just kind of being an ass hole when you could choose to not respond at all. Fun fact - forum's are 100% opt in. You can choose to not look at things. In fact, you can set the OP on ignore and you'll never see his posts or responses again!

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
You're just kind of being an *** hole when you could choose to not respond at all. Fun fact - forum's are 100% opt in. You can choose to not look at things. In fact, you can set the OP on ignore and you'll never see his posts or responses again!
Dude, the guy was just trying to help. No need to be put the guy down. And what he said was accurate nonetheless.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
There's no point in getting good at this game unless you play locally only. If you waste time playing bad online all your timing will be off and those 500h plus you put into the game will be wasted.

Half this game is good. 50%. That 50% is offline only. Don't-play-online-ever. Demand a refund for your Nintendo online subscription. Once this is done you'll start to feel better.

AbsyntheMinded

Smash Rookie
All that's left is having fun, which I struggle to do because of how losing affects me. Since you say this is unfixable given my psyche, that means I should give up entirely. But Smash Ultimate was my most anticipated game of 2018, and I can't give up on something I really want to love.
I will give you the best advice I can give you, after having read several of your posts. Mind you I am not a professional. I do however encourage you to find some professional help.

You use a lot of very negative words in relation to your self such as fixing your psyche etc. You can't fix a person, because there is nothing to fix. What you seem to be in need of, is a change of perspective and your relation to idea of something in your head and the reality of that same thing.

You display an awful lot of indicators of unhelpful thinking styles. There is nothing wrong with that per say, a lot of people use unhelpful thinking styles daily. But if you are unaware of this they can very negatively impact your life. You seem to have reached that point.
In my opinion what you could use is some professional help. Go see a therapist, hell see a few, because not all therapists and forms of therapy work for everyone.

And perhaps rid yourself of the notion of a quick fix. There won't be one. Also the therapist won't be able to get you past this, however he/she will be able to help you help yourself get past this. It's your journey and you're going to have to figure it out on your own for the most part, with some support from others.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
You're just kind of being an *** hole when you could choose to not respond at all. Fun fact - forum's are 100% opt in. You can choose to not look at things. In fact, you can set the OP on ignore and you'll never see his posts or responses again!
you are calling me a asshole and then i am the immature 1? you are no better then me in this situation my dude :p at least i am not calling people assholes

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
-_-;

No need for name calling.

Besides which everyone here has gone through their own methods for helping this user and yet it's not helpful because reasons. We've suggested not playing, taking a few days off, seeking a professional, trying alternate modes, to name a few... At this point I am not sure why this thread should even stay open but I guess it's good for now just pls keep the jabs to a minimum. Ty.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
-_-;

Besides which everyone here has gone through their own methods for helping this user and yet it's not helpful because reasons. We've suggested not playing, taking a few days off, seeking a professional, trying alternate modes, to name a few... At this point I am not sure why this thread should even stay open but I guess it's good for now just pls keep the jabs to a minimum. Ty.
Because online haters think there's fresh blood they can recruit to their cause. Why else would so many people here spew gripes unrelated to what the OP is talking about?

Last edited:

J.I.L

-_-;

100% facts, why are we bashing each other heads over this guy? I've already given him the best advice he's ever gonna get on this forum which is to be a savage ruthless warrior on quickplay. I say we lock this thread up. LOCK IT UP!

D

Deleted member

Yes! Lock this thread! Please!

This thread demoted from how to have fun (which few people really answered, thanks to those) to either complaining about online mode (often exaggeratedly) or Coolboy Coolboy 's complete rudeness and unhelpfulness.

**** it, I'm going to Anther's Ladder for some friendlies.

J.I.L

This thread demoted from how to have fun (which few people really answered, thanks to those) to either complaining about online mode (often exaggeratedly) or Coolboy Coolboy 's complete rudeness and unhelpfulness.

You know, this is gonna be the 2nd thread you've gotten locked up becaus, in all bluntness, you've gotten your feelings hurt. My dude, the world is a ruthless place. Guys like coolboy are a joke compared to how mean the world can be. I hope things turn out better, but either you need to grow some thick skin in losses or limit your quickplay. One or the other. You're never going to enjoy losing, not many do. It dosen't mean you don't enjoy what you do in playing smash, however. Either learn how to take heart in losses, or just find things to do.I think You'd be waisting energy and money going to a phychritrist for a stinking game.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
There's no point in getting good at this game unless you play locally only. If you waste time playing bad online all your timing will be off and those 500h plus you put into the game will be wasted.

Half this game is good. 50%. That 50% is offline only. Don't-play-online-ever. Demand a refund for your Nintendo online subscription. Once this is done you'll start to feel better.
This thread may have mostly run its course, but I see this notion a lot, all over the place. Here, Reddit, Discord, etc. Not really directing this to just you, but just generally stating:

It's mad hard to play locally only and improve, especially if your scene is tiny or virtually non-existent. Not everyone has access to players better than themselves on a daily or even weekly basis, and the way to combat this is to: uproot yourself and move somewhere there's a scene (unless you're a pro or looking to be one, why would you do this?), drive for an hour+ every week for a local (doable, but sucks, and you still can't get consistent practice), or play them online. Unless you're in the top 1% of competitive players and trying to make Smash your career, its not feasible to say "don't play online if you want to get good". I very rarely played online in Brawl (because my wifi was terrible at the time and the lag was unbearable even against people less than a 30 minute drive from my house) and couldn't even make it out of pools at regional tournaments, because most of my friends/local scene were under my skill level by a decent margin, and I could only play against them and their mains. So it was generally play them, watch pro videos, practice spacing and whatnot in training mode, rinse and repeat. When Smash 4 came out, and the online was actually playable, I upgraded exponentially. The tournaments I was drowning in pools at, I was now getting top 8. Just from playing stupid For Glory for a few months. I still play online mostly, but have moved on from random matchmaking to picking and choosing my matches in 2-man arenas and doing discord matchmaking. I was able to build better fundamentals, learn matchups, learn how to edgeguard, and understand how to play neutral a lot better than I ever could, just from playing online. Good players can adjust from online to offline in like 30 minutes or less just by playing offline a bit. If you do some training mode practice between your online sessions, you can keep the feel for offline play fresh so you're not completely in the dark for when the time does come to play for real offline.

Not saying Ultimate's online is good. Because it isn't, and the rare occasions I play quickplay, I run into things that make me want to just put the game down and never play again. But you can make it workable if you put the effort in and don't just play random Ganondorfs with McDonalds wifi.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

i think it would be a good idea for you to think before you post a thread :/
i seen a thread where someone complained about 3rd party characters, people got strong opinions and aren't affraid to say what they think and in that thread people were 100 times more harsh then anyone in this thread,
if you know you can't handle that type of stuff well then you really should think before you post my dude

D

Deleted member

You know, this is gonna be the 2nd thread you've gotten locked up becaus, in all bluntness, you've gotten your feelings hurt. My dude, the world is a ruthless place. Guys like coolboy are a joke compared to how mean the world can be. I hope things turn out better, but either you need to grow some thick skin in losses or limit your quickplay. One or the other. You're never going to enjoy losing, not many do. It dosen't mean you don't enjoy what you do in playing smash, however. Either learn how to take heart in losses, or just find things to do.I think You'd be waisting energy and money going to a phychritrist for a stinking game.
And how am I supposed to grow thick skin without forcing it?

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
And how am I supposed to grow thick skin without forcing it?
Pretty sure you just answered your own question. Change doesnt happen in the background, you have to work on it.

You’d know this if you didnt sperg out the moment someone didnt adhere to your echo chamber of “but muh feelings”

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure you just answered your own question. Change doesnt happen in the background, you have to work on it.

You’d know this if you didnt sperg out the moment someone didnt adhere to your echo chamber of “but muh feelings”
Now you're assuming I have Asperger's? (I do, but still!)

Where are the mods? Close this thread already!

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus

Never once said that, considering sperg has been used over the past like 5 years to describing someone losing their cool, but if you wana ride that mantle I cant/wont stop you. The general message?

Chill the **** out. Its a video game. Its like I just said. Change you want doesnt happen subtly, work towards it, or youre just gona stay needlessly pissed and getting your threads constantly locked.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've posted a number of times trying to help this individual in all of his threads, and each time, he outright ignores it (or just has me on ignore, which is also a very strong possibility. He wouldn't be the first), or just questions how or why he has to handle something in a certain way. We've given him all the advice in the world to work with as he sees fit, it's probably time to leave him to his own devices and handle it on his own. He keeps getting upset about losing a lot and how it affects him, but refuses to post any replays for analysis. Some people just prefer to rant online about being bad at something over actually going through the necessary steps to overcome it on their own.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
I've posted a number of times trying to help this individual in all of his threads, and each time, he outright ignores it (or just has me on ignore, which is also a very strong possibility. He wouldn't be the first), or just questions how or why he has to handle something in a certain way. We've given him all the advice in the world to work with as he sees fit, it's probably time to leave him to his own devices and handle it on his own. He keeps getting upset about losing a lot and how it affects him, but refuses to post any replays for analysis. Some people just prefer to rant online about being bad at something over actually going through the necessary steps to overcome it on their own.
New smash titles always attract new faces to Smashboards despite it kinda dying and becoming irrelevant. With that comes people like him. At first you try to help em, then they keep up their behavior and “woe is me” pity party until they become super annoying.

J.I.L

Wait, do you have autism? Do you have like some form of emotional/mental disability? In that case, you really shouldn’t be playing this game. Nuff said. And you got to force yourself to use the game less and less.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
people with autism are known for getting overly obsessed over things right? that's what i heard at least..
so that would explain his unhealthy obsession for this game o.o

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Wait, do you have autism? Do you have like some form of emotional/mental disability? In that case, you really shouldn’t be playing this game. Nuff said. And you got to force yourself to use the game less and less.
I wouldnt go that far -.- Disabilities shouldnt deter you from playing a video game. However it certainly explains their behavior here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom