• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Kill With Sonic!?

Kairace

Smash Rookie
There's this annoying Zelda I'm fighting. I can pretty much beat her with Toon Link. So I thought, heck maybe if she can't catch me I can win. So I pick Sonic. AND IT DOESN'T WORK!

YOU CAN'T KILL WITH SONIC!

How do you guys do it?

Station

Smash Cadet
You build up a crap load of damage, then use his bair, fsmash or you try and knock them upwards off the stage and follow them with a spring and attack upwards again.

Station

Smash Cadet
If you can't build up alot of damage you need to improve as a Sonic player, he's alot faster than any other character on the roster. Use his speed to your advantage constantly pressure your opponent. His back air should be able to hit if you short hop, if you try and drop down on them it's way too predictable.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
1-Build a lot of damage.

2-Knock 'em off stage, it can be with a grab or smash attack or some other move that gives momentum to the opponent.

3- Edgeguard with homing attack and/or airborne attacks. Homing attack is great because it can KO them and you still can use it infinitely, a spring jump or airborne attack after it.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
From another thread:

For killing, just be patient, it gets annoying when you die at like 90% and can't kill reliably till 130%, but Sonic is just about pressure and evasion. One thing that I've really been trying to do with my game is be way more aggressive edgeguarding, since Sonic can basically recover from anywhere, and his fair, bair, and sex kick all can be useful offstage (fair and sex kick are better than bair offstage, which can be DI'd upwards and actually help the person recover), but if that doesn't work, dsmash is also a killing move, moreso than fsmash, but is also harder to get in. If you can predict your opponent well, perhaps baiting an attack by running in and shielding, then it's great for KOs. Killing off the top isn't reliable, but you can still come in fairly quickly with a spring -> aerial and kill off the top, or if they dodge, you can dair and return to the stage before them, taking advantage of the fact that if you dair from high enough (the height that the spring sends you), Sonic won't have any landing lag.

As for a semi-reliable way to get in a potential KO move at over 100%, do overB or downB into a sex kick. It may seem like it's a bad choice since they have quite a bit of startup, you can shield cancel the overB if you run in and start it close, tricking them, either shielding their counter-attack or grabbing them after a spotdodge, or do either from further away and punish something that they had done.

I've never had any luck with homing attack as an edgeguard, since it usually misses, and has a lot of lag afterwards. It could work if you anticipate Zelda's upB and shoot it to hit that (Don't try online). Hmm, must try this next time I play a Zelda.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
From another thread:
I've never had any luck with homing attack as an edgeguard, since it usually misses, and has a lot of lag afterwards.
This. >_> I've rarely gimped people with homing attack, it misses a huge percent of the time.

rocklobsta111

Smash Rookie
i've never had much luck with the homing attack. Best bet to killing with sonic is fsmash, a lucky bair, or edgeguarding. A pretty easy way to get them while they're trying to recover is to dair into them and spring up to grab the edge.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
^About homing attack
I've never had any luck with homing attack as an edgeguard, since it usually misses, and has a lot of lag afterwards. It could work if you anticipate Zelda's upB and shoot it to hit that (Don't try online). Hmm, must try this next time I play a Zelda.
Its kind of tricky to use but its worth it sometimes; you can cut the charging time by pressing B again. (Just in case you didn't know;) )

Last time I used it successfully was after doing one jump, d-air on a enemy that was trying to recover and then jump and homing attacked him to his doom (i was under him and Sonic pushed him to the near right boundary) but to do this the enemy can't be too far away(better if still airborne usually it doesn't work if they are near but in a platform). You should first go to practice mode to check the distance Sonic falls before jumping out of a d-air so you won't get killed in the process.

Homing Attack works best (atleast for me) if you are under or above an opponent or straight in front.

Edit- I tried out the stalling homing attack tech that i saw around in a thread earlier, its pretty funny you can get under some stages like Pokemon stadium and keep homing attacking the bottom until you feel like going back up again.:laugh: but if you miss-time it Sonic's homing attack goes straight to hell.

I actually hate this move but i just tried to make it useful in some way.:laugh: ohh and it also can nullify other players moves like Metaknight's tornado for example. So yeah the Zelda thing could work... Maybe. She can still use another spin attack if you hit her though, you must find a way to ko her before she starts her next attack.

Cobros

Smash Rookie
(For damage)

Try and get in with a standard combo and follow it up with a side smash (If it is you and a computer in a seperate area).

If you are stuck between 2 characters, B-Up and then Air A-Down to clear the area, then once grounded, quickly pull off either a down smash or a B-Down.

If every one else is fighting in their own battle, charge up a B-Down until they get close then launch it, and do as above, B-Up, Air A-Down, down smash/ B-down.

(For the kill)

Try and get a charged smash in, If you can't a Air A-Down is quite a good finisher.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
if they are charging you, then try to time a Down A or Forward A

Homing attack is pretty good at ledge gaurding, im always able to nail em. you just gotta know how to use it.

for a finisher that you can rush them with.. ur gona need to back air or up air. actually.. on heavier characters the best offencive finisher would be a running dash attack, and a turn around F smash as they are falling back to the ground.

either way, sonics finishing abilities usually should come from gimping/chasing/ high damage... so realisticly i think your goign to have to focus on those skills to be a good sonic.

more of R4ZE's loose cents.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sonic has a few ways to KO his foes. F-smash and d-smash are pretty effective. Also, the b-air and u-air are useful in that case.

Top Bottom