• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you instantly wall jump when you are hanging of the ledge?

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
I see falcons do this a lot but whenever I try I always fall down or do something nooby.

Last edited:

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Search "Doraki instant walljump" on YouTube. That's probably what you are looking for.

Devilsbabe

Smash Rookie
Wow, I actually played Doraki at his place this weekend. Didn't know he had a move named after him. Neat!

I see falcons do this a lot but whenever I try I always fall down or do something nooby.
What might be easiest is to pull away from the stage with the stick. Push forward on the stick, then Jump button to jump. This gets you momentum into the wall. Then, push away from the stage with the stick to do the wall jump. Problem is that this all has to be done really, really quick.
I am going to try to explain this as well as I can to get you to understand whats going on with how the game interprets things, then after that I'll explain the practical aspects.

Explaining Image
1) Camera Angle: What you see in this image is a slight sideways view of captain falcon's hurtbox (yellow shapes). Between captain Falcon and Peach's percentages you should see a sort of plus sign. This illustrates the coordinate system directions (x,y,z). The slanted line (nearly horizontal) going left to right is what we common refer to as the z-axis. When you play the game and you are sitting center with the TV, you are looking along the z-axis. From this view point of normally playing the game you as the player would be sited at the left side of that slant. If you take Captain falcon to be the focus of this camera shot I took, this camera angle is rotated ro the right and up slightly.

2) Colors: Now, the yellow spheres represent his hurtbox. The gray blob is a very thin plane that the FoD platform is made up of. Those flat diamonds (quadrilaterals to be exact lol) of blue, dark orange, and light orange represent various collision detections for the character. At least, the orange colored ones. The blue diamond I have no idea what that is used for.

Diamonds
Anyway, the dark orange diamond is used when determining if a wall jump should occur from the testing I have done. The orange diamond must touch or overlap the stage (gray border) in order for a wall jump to occur. The diamonds change shape frequently as the character moves about. In this image, Falcon is in the first frame of his jump squat. So the diamonds are difference sizes. When static the diamonds all line up properly. Now, in order to wall jump the stick must be making an input of being away from the wall on the same frame that this dark orange diamond is touching/overlapping the stage wall. If not, a wall jump does not occur.

Now, remember that these diamonds change size as you are moving. So, Falcon's dark orange diamond will get narrow from left to right as he goes through the early part of his jump (if you look at the tv screen when playing; that sort of left and right). The last part is the fact that the stages all have different undersides at various angles. So, different stages have different timings and some require you to press forward or not.

Practical
On

Top Bottom