• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you indentify good players?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date

Varist

Smash Lord
Good = winning

Anything involving flash, "art", what you want to see = enjoyable.

There's a big difference.

Most movies that people go see = enjoyable but awful (see: almost everything with a ton of explosions).

Good Will Hunting, The Prestige, Citizen Kane, etc = good
>thinking Citizen Kane is good

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Considering 'good' to be a subjective term that could refer to a players success-rate, if they're a good sport, or numerous other things, I identify 'good' players by their ability to mix up their game.

When I play, often I don't mix up my game, but just avoid for a long time to see how the opponent reacts to certain moves before I mix in attacks aside from small pokes. I'll rush them without any sign of technical reasoning to see how they react, and if they're really good at fighting someone who acts 'unprofessionally', then I consider them bad usually.

Coming from a smaller town that only has really, really local tournaments, anyone who has any skill only responds properly to others who also have skill. We become more well-adjusted to those who want to dodge our attacks, and we have tendencies to 'swing left' so to speak, to catch an opponent in a roll. Randomness turns into tactical technique, and if an opponent is too used to opponents who just blatantly rush, then they tend to just be bad.

I dunno, it's hard to explain properly, but if I can't predict an opponents movements, they're either really, really good, or just plain bad. Usually bad. Because they don't play with their heads.

The shadow Kirby

Smash Rookie
Well it all depends on what kind of good your looking for: {1} the ability to win many times
{2} be a skilled (non cheap) smash player

If you like to use cheap tactics then that fine by me (although Ill start using them too)

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Winning is not at all what defines the best player or a good player, for example, here in Mexico I went to "this" single elimination-tournament and I lost like in quarter of finals, but the dude who beat me lost in semis, the one who beat him lost in grand finals, and for my surprise, I later challenged the champion and won to him, I won too to the dude that beated the first dude that beated me in first place in quarters, but I later lost to the second place of the tournament.

The point is: Winning doesn't means you're a good player (look at my twisted explanation), you can't always win, that's a matter of fact, so winning more sets than X player doesn't mean you're better than him, what would you think if he solidly beats you? That's why Salem didn't won to M2K in Winter Brawl but he took the big one and won in Apex 2013. He lost in Winter but we all know that he's definitely a good player, also M2K is obviously a solid good player too.

So... Just saying that I will end this with a one sentence description of a good player.

A good player is a consistent player.

P.S: Also, sorry for my broken english, not my native language. >_>

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, that's the point.
A good player is not able to just win one or two times, but able to win to most players under most circumstances (or at least be able to compete against other good players on most matches).
That's why tournament sets are to win 2 out of three: one match is generally not enough to tell who the better playeer is.

btw, what part of Mexico are you from?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
The most abandoned part of it, Baja California Sur. Here they care more about doing a fast tournament than actually doing a good one, but well, money matches and friendlies sets do it for me. :3

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You know why I don't believe in "good" players?

Because a lot of people argue that being Good means beating Good players.

But if their good players, wouldn't that mean they were beating you?

And if your Good, doesn't that mean you should be beaten by Good Players--? AHHHHHHHEH!

GREAT, YOU GAVE ME A HEADACHE. HAPPY? :mad:

>thinking Citizen Kane is good
THIS ISN'T 4CHAN. GET OFF, NOW.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Someone who understands neutral stance and actually punishes mistakes in this stance, that picks the right options by showing a great understanding of situations that also picks the best punishes based on the situation and gets the most/best possible out of every situation.

All of this is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of stuff to master/know.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Someone who understands neutral stance and actually punishes mistakes in this stance, that picks the right options by showing a great understanding of situations that also picks the best punishes based on the situation and gets the most/best possible out of every situation.

All of this is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of stuff to master/know.
Tell me where to start...

Please? :3

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Practice your butt off, Go to tournaments, Ask questions, Watch Videos, Understand everything.
Never be wrong, learn everything.
1) Already do that
2) The folks in my area can't arrange a tournament for ****.
3) I just asked you one.
4) Already did that
5) LINKS PLZ.
6) Contradictory, but oh well.
7) Once again, :link2:S PLZ.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Check out my guides and stream! www.clashtournaments.com for guides and then check out my coaching program:

http://smashboards.com/threads/ct-zeros-coaching-program.336243/page-3#post-15559123
Because of the wording, this is coming off as Advertising.

And that creeps the **** outta me.

We aren't your slaves.
Then who the hell has been taking out $30 from my bank account every month?

If I'm not getting a slave, I didn't authorize this!

*Reads Profile of Hacker*

*Finds out it's a Star Trek Villain*

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Because it is :p

For real though, I reccomend checking all of that out. Up to you, but let me tell you, it's totally worth it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Contrary to some belief, I don't believe flashy will always = not good. There are some fantastic good and flashy players out there. I've seen ESAM to QAC locks that were insane, i've seen Mr. R and Leon pull of tricky stuff, combos and follow-ups, i've seen FAE be... FAE.... and i've seen Ryo get some flashy and yolo as heck Ike Fsmashes on what many consider to be 'good' or at least decent players.

Like, I just mean that there's room to be a bit of both and that one doesn't necessarily have to be a player who only goes for basic and fundamental stuff. The word 'fundamental' is used for a reason - it's meant to be, in our context, the base playstyle through which we build techniques and the like. 'Advanced techniques' are also coined for a reason - they are meant to improve on fundamentals. It doesn't always work but you see my point - flashy, whether it be interesting reads or insane tech skill or incredible AT perfection can jump into the criteria of being good.

In fact, i'd reckon that in some circumstances, one should almost definitely be at least slightly flashy in order to be good because being flashy allows for surprises when everyone is used to a base character playstyle and how to react to that... but this is only my opinion. :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
you do realize that because your advertising, I don't trust the link you sent.
You don't have to - but I'd trust it and I can test it for you. CT ZeRo is a top world player and a smashboards mod so I doubt he'd deceive people. A sec. :)

Okay, I tested it and they're all fine. Take it as you will but I think while he's advertising, it's more just an effort to get to people to try to help them get better.

But yeah, anyway, it is up to you. :)

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
@firestormneos, CT ZeRo spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to help this one guy during the stream. He would be interested to help you. It is free of charge for you.

Top Bottom