• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you hold your controller?

FruitNukes

Smash Rookie
Anybody use anything outside of the standard position? I've been messing around with some new positions to see if any of them offer any sort of speed/reflex advantages for some of the more button-intensive AT's, and I'm interested to know if anybody else has tried using their controller in a more unusual way. (And, if so, what seems to work for you)

AirFair

Marth tho
I'm sure you have heard of claw style, but if you haven't search it up, because I can't describe it lol. I think it's good on spacies.

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
I'm sure you have heard of claw style, but if you haven't search it up, because I can't describe it lol. I think it's good on spacies.
Yeah I play a lot of Peach so Claw or Crab Claw works great, I tend to stick with a default controller holding style myself.

goobaje

Smash Cadet
i know that KJH plays with both his thumb and index finger on the control stick. i tried it out, but i'm really not sure what to think of it yet.

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
I used to claw while pillaring and for doubleshines, worked well for the former but was super inconsistent with the latter. Try it out you might like it. My main issue was that I would switch grips mid game and it felt bad for my incredibly degraded wrists

switched

Smash Rookie
I used to play every controller game with thumbs on sticks/buttons and index fingers on the triggers/bumpers. When I play smash now, though, I feel the need to have a finger over Z at all times, just in case. So although my left hand hasn't changed (thumb on stick and index on L), my right hand shifted so I have my thumb on the buttons/cstick, index on Z, and middle finger on R. I don't use R for anything, even wdoos, so I think I just rest it on R because it's more comfortable.

I have a friend in college who plays left hand like mine, but rests his controller on his leg, not gripping with the right hand at all. He uses the buttons and cstick as if they were keyboard buttons. It's a really interesting style since you can use multiple buttons at once, but unless you start from scratch learning that way, it doesn't seem worth it.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
I have recently switched to claw from variations on the traditional grip. Claw is without a doubt a much more advantageous grip.

I now perceive double-shine as simple as jump-cancel-grab, and i possess great confidence that i will perform it with just as much consistency. Short-hop-double-laser with fox has also become much easier.

I am still transitioning--i.e. Building the dexterity and fluency in the new grip that i possessed in the old grip--but after only a week of daily practice and 10 hours played against my usual opponents, it feels surprisingly easy to maintain the grip. I estimate a total of 3-4 weeks under such a practice schedule until I will no longer feel the urge to play the traditional grip.

Do not hesitate to switch if you see an opportunity for improvement. I changed my keybindings while playing WoW four or five times and had different layouts for different characters. The inconvenience of the transitional period is nothing compared to benefits to your play. Grip is just like anything else: practice makes perfect.

Top Bottom