• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How do you hold your 3ds for minimal cramping?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
My thumbs are in constant pain from being bent at all times because of how close the buttons are to the edges. My hands are roughly 8-9 inches measured from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger.

For those who will immediately suggest that I purchase a grip, can you suggest one that will offer a gamecube controller-like quality of comfort or better? Since I can't try them before I buy them, I would at least like feedback from dedicated smashers.

EDIT: Generally agreed upon solution
Hold the 3ds with your fingertips. Support the bottom of the 3ds with the tips of your pinky. Finger tip on the triggers. Thumb fully outstretched and not bent on the face buttons. Do NOT hold it like a gcc (what I was doing wrong). I still have no idea how to hold a 2ds.

Last edited:

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
I had calluses developing on my thumbs after I got the demo so I wrapped them in medical tape. As far as overall comfort, I use an attachment for my 3DS XL so it feels like a controller. Gripping a rectangle is awkward.

Also, I'm trying to figure a way to add a gamecube thumb stick to my 3ds. If it works out, I'll post.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I just hold it the same way I hold it for every game other than Kid Icarus: Uprising. I don't know what to say, I haven't had a problem with cramping in the demo.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Just relax your fingers and straighten them out a bit. Your palms don't have to be scrunched up against the DS.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Get a 3DS XL
Absolutely not necessary at all.

I hold my 3DS similar to this pic, but you know, imagine the right hand being in the same position as the left one. lol

Have yet to have my hands cramp playing the demo, or Mario Kart 7 for that matter, while holding the console like this.

0RLY

I had calluses developing on my thumbs after I got the demo so I wrapped them in medical tape. As far as overall comfort, I use an attachment for my 3DS XL so it feels like a controller. Gripping a rectangle is awkward.

Also, I'm trying to figure a way to add a gamecube thumb stick to my 3ds. If it works out, I'll post.
I tried using bandages on my thumbs as well but they just slide right off. Medical tape would be much better if I had that. Hows the attachment?

How would you close your DS...? Oh I guess you could make it removable... but then there's the issue of it falling off mid gameplay. Interesting project...
Just relax your fingers and straighten them out a bit. Your palms don't have to be scrunched up against the DS.
That is exactly my problem. I try to hold it loosely like I would for EVERY OTHER GAME... but minutes into gameplay, and my hand just scrunches up and tightens around the DS. I have a similar issue with the gamecube controller, where my grip will just tighten to the point where I develop calluses on the inside of my middle finger! However, since my grip is still in the same place, it doesn't affect my gameplay or hurt. On the DS, it hurts several games in to the point where it severely affects my gameplay. After each game, I reset myself to a looser grip, but tighten up involuntarily every single game.
Get a 3DS XL
The XL doesn't feel any better on my hand than it's smaller counterpart. I would actually say it's worse since my grip tightens around the XL much faster than the ds does.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION
How broken in are your face buttons? I feel pain from sliding my thumb between buttons on the 3ds despite never having that problem sliding my thumb between buttons on my gcc. I don't even think my gcc is that much more broken in than my 3ds. What can I do about this?

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I bought a 2ds for this problem. The 2DS feels very much like a Gameboy if you are old enough to have played with the original. It has very large L, and R buttons and the screen looks great. Its not as big as it looks in a good way and fits nice in the hands.

I recommend.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Get a 3DS grip. If you are from America, it should be quite easy t get one. If you are from Europe, Ebay would be your go-to-spot.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I have an XL, so one thumb on the circle pad, one thumb on the face buttons on the right & index fingers on the shoulder buttons
Played the demo for a total of 16+ hours and never got a single cramp
The weird thing about this though is that I played DKCR3D a while back and that game gave me major cramps in my fingers, I think because I was holding down the trigger buttons so much.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
After each game, I reset myself to a looser grip, but tighten up involuntarily every single game.

How broken in are your face buttons?
How long have you had your 3DS? I stopped having this problem early into having mine, before I was done with my first game (OoT). It's probably best to just force yourself to hold the DS a certain way for some games against the CPU until it starts feeling natural. The 3DS bothered me (like any other Nintendo controller) so I figured out how to handle it properly.

My face buttons don't bother me at all, feels like hitting 360 buttons with a little less traction.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I hold it using this. It's advertised as a racing wheel, but it's cheap, the grips are useful, compact, and controller-like, and the triggers are actually a usable size. So a lot more versatile than it means to be.

Best 3DS-related purchase I ever made.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I have an XL with a Nerf case.

Demo hasn't cramped me once yet.

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
I hold it using this. It's advertised as a racing wheel, but it's cheap, the grips are useful, compact, and controller-like, and the triggers are actually a usable size. So a lot more versatile than it means to be.

I can't see the picture right now but if it's the mk7 wheel then I use that, too, and it really is great. The triggers only feel a little weird, and last time I checked it was like 5-6 dollars on amazon.

Completely recommend it.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
I have a 2DS, gawk so the 2DS wraps perfectly around my hand, especially with those massive shoulder buttons. I haven't had any problems regarding cramps at all.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I just hold it the same way I hold it for every game other than Kid Icarus: Uprising. I don't know what to say, I haven't had a problem with cramping in the demo.
This, really. I don't get any cramps while playing on my 3DS XL. The only game I had that problem with that KIU and that was because all the weight is put onto your left hand while playing, so I had to rest the 3DS up against something for that game. But for Smash or anything else, I have no problems.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
Two ways. One, an XL with smaller hands, this is great because you have little of the system to hold in your hands and it's rounded unlike the original. Second, if you have an original, buy a copy of Kid Icarus Uprising. It might not help that much for a 2 handed game, but it gives more of a demo at a store feel because the stand sits there with the system in an optimal position.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman

I hold my 3DS similar to this pic, but you know, imagine the right hand being in the same position as the left one. lol

Have yet to have my hands cramp playing the demo, or Mario Kart 7 for that matter, while holding the console like this.
This helps me a lot thanks. After looking online I see that it also helps to put your right pinky under the 3DS to hold when playing stylus heavy games.

0RLY

THIS! THIS looks like th perfect answer. Most grips I've seen look like they would make me crap just as hard but this looks like it would actually help me hold the DS correctly! Do they make these for the XL?

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I dont use grips. I jut don't find it very difficult to hold my hand off of the DS.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
THIS! THIS looks like th perfect answer. Most grips I've seen look like they would make me crap just as hard but this looks like it would actually help me hold the DS correctly! Do they make these for the XL?
I tried looking, but I couldn't find any, unfortunately.

I'm worried they won't make one for the N3DS, either...

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Apart from a mild strain on my hands, I've never really had a problem holding my 3ds. I have a very relaxed grip with my middle fingers holding up the 3ds and my Index fingers on the triggers. If I had to give one suggestion to avoid hand cramps, don't actually hold it in your hands so much as you hold it with your fingers.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
You play on a 2DS. That's how you prevent cramping. I'm so glad I have a 2DS.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I have large hands, but the 3ds XL hasnt given me any problems with cramps yet. not sure how ytou are holding it or if you have a XL or normal. just relax and dont be so tense

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
I was looking for a grip that would alleviate the thumb pain and feel more like a controller. I got the mario kart 7 racing wheel and it feels great. Makes playing smash much more comfortable and gives it the controller-like feel I was looking for. It helps with the thumb pain as well. There's a thread with info on all kinds of grips for 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL on the forums somewhere. I would recommend checking it out. If you're playing smash on a regular 3DS, I would recommend the mario kart 7 wheel.

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I hold it by putting my left thumb on the Circle Pad, my right thumb on both the A and B buttons, my index fingers on the L and R buttons, and the remaining fingers are touching the back of the 3DS. My index finger currently is almost three inches, so I'm about the perfect size for a normal 3DS. :p

Mechageo

Smash Ace

This is what I did with my 3DS but now Thai I finally upgraded to a New XL, my pinky fingers just won't reach and I'm on the same boat as the OP was.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
This is what I did with my 3DS but now Thai I finally upgraded to a New XL, my pinky fingers just won't reach and I'm on the same boat as the OP was.
I have a regular XL now and I still kinda hold it that way. Obviously your pinky doesn't have to be in the exact position like in that pic, I kinda just use them as something the 3DS can "lay on" I guess, not too sure how to put that into words.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have a regular XL now and I still kinda hold it that way. Obviously your pinky doesn't have to be in the exact position like in that pic, I kinda just use them as something the 3DS can "lay on" I guess, not too sure how to put that into words.
Ah, I gotcha. Too bad the New XL has its power button down there.

Pretty Princess

Smash Cadet
NNID
lordgooomy
3DS FC
0559-7269-5928
I bought a "dreamGEAR" comfort grip specifically for smash 3ds, that only cost me like 7 dollars. I never had much of a problem playing without it, but it really helps when playing for a long time.

I just take it off when I'm playing other games, since it's easy to remove and put back on. :)

don't use the top half of it though, it's really ugly

Top Bottom