• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you hold the controller.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys hold a controller toallow for the best SHFFLing. My hands feel to big to use the x-button for jumping, and flicking that with my thumbnail is the only effective way I can seem toshort hopp right. Doing this makes it nearly impossible to do arials, as i need to use Z which cramps my hand really bad. I cannot make it to the C-stick or A fast enough to use them. That and I use R for everything and have the same problem. ive always used Y R and The c stick, but I can't seem to Short hop that way. Any advice on another method/how do you hold the controller personally.

Thanks.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I'm rather fond of using my hands myself. If anyone uses their tongue though, I have no objection.

Edit: O wait, are you into one-handed playing?

Smash Master
I have large hands as well. In the long run, I don't think it affects your finger speed, it just takes you twice as long to learn everything. Personally, I slide my finger from the X button to the A button for SHFFLing, and I use L to L-cancel (Imagine that.) I never touch the C-Stick (too far away), and I wavedash entirely with the control stick. (and the L button) It's up to personal preference really, but yeah, big hands do suck in this game. I'd take up basketball if I were you :)

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Yay for small hands! XD

Perfect fit. I really don't know what to tell you on your problem, I mean, you could try to hold the controller much more loosely then letting your hands cover the controller.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I have large hands as well. In the long run, I don't think it affects your finger speed, it just takes you twice as long to learn everything. Personally, I slide my finger from the X button to the A button for SHFFLing, and I use L to L-cancel (Imagine that.) I never touch the C-Stick (too far away), and I wavedash entirely with the control stick. (and the L button) It's up to personal preference really, but yeah, big hands do suck in this game. I'd take up basketball if I were you :)
Ive noticed it's a pain to learn wityh big hands. As for Basketball, I lack the large motor skills for dribbling and my aim sucks.
Wavedashing with the stick has to be a pain.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Ya, wow. I can't imagine WDing with the control stick. Maybe with slower jumping characters, but with Sheik or something, that would take me a lot of practice. Impressive.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I like to hold the controller Eastern Forehand style, and sometimes continental.

What's really fun is laying upside down on your bed, holding you control right side up and trying to do combo's with falco.

^--- i lol'ed after i saw i wrote that.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
I "claw" when I play smash, which I find helps me a lot when I'm in the mood to SHL with falco.

For those of you unfamiliar with clawing, it basically means my thumb stays low on the C-stick or maybe goes up to B, while my pointer-finger takes care of X/Y/A/(and at times B). My middle finger is the one that takes care of Z or R.

This means when I SHFFL I have my thumb on B and my pointer-finger on X (or Y). I find it a lot easier to not have to actually move my thumb while I try to do things like it.

It may take a bit to adjust too, and it could very well not be worth it (a lot of people find wavedashing with X/Y&R while clawing to be really awkward), but I figure its worth mentioning. I've been clawing since the SNES came out, so it was just natural for me to play this way.

And to HideousBeing - I play one-handed often, and use the same principle - (left handed: ) middle finger on B, pointer-finger on X.

BTW I have short stubby / thick fingers.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Clawing feels too awkward to me. I hold my controllers with the index fingers on the trigger buttons, the left thumb takes care of the joystick and the right thumb takes care of the Y, A, B, and c-stick. I never use the X button. Ever. I have small hands though, which I guess is better for smash, but bad for trying to learn guitar :(.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm a Samus player... so... not at all?

j/k
I play roy and I hold it like I do normally using the X button to jump.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
How do you hold the controller is a better question.

I use the x button to jump and l cancel with the left trigger and tech with the Right.

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
I use the mystical, ever so elusive search function for all my controller holding needs. It has the amazing telekinetic abilities to play like a pro with all the knowledge and opinions it yields me from topics past..........

On topic: I hold it the natural way people would pick up a controller and play most games. My hands are pretty big for a girl's I guess, but the controller seems to fit just fine in them without it being overwhelmed. At most, the only adjustment that I make is the slight bending of my right thumb and let it hover about a 5 milimeters above the A, B, X, Y region. Slide method works to pull the short hop, and pulling it back and pressing A (or hitting the c-stick) coincidentally takes close to the amount of time it takes before I can fast fall. It presents one nice, fluent motion for me when pulling a SHFFL. My index fingers cover L and R on their respective sides, and my other fingers just wrap around the bottom part with a perfect fit. I use x to jump, never press the y button for anything, wavedash with R, use L for everything else relating to L and R, use control stick for aerials with Peach and c-stick aerials with everyone else.

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
Tilt with ze control stick for Shufflez.

As for holding, one end of the controller should be sticking out of your nose, and the other your mouth. For best grip the shoulder buttons should stick out right above your eyeballs, and the control sticks should be poking out of your ears.

Me14k

Smash Lord
you could try to hold the controller much more loosely then letting your hands cover the controller.
When you grip the controller, holdit looser but most importantly, move your actualy hand (your palm) down a bit so its less movement for your thumb to hit the X button. Doing this will also move your thumb closer to the C stick.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
I've clawed before on other games (Ratchet and Clank UYA), but I don't think it'd be worth it to adjust to a new style of holding with Brawl this close. Besides, that would be a lot of your right hand. In theory, you could use all five fingers (thumb to c-stick, pointer for B/A, index for x/y, ring for z, and pinky for R).

Try it out, though. If anyone asks, tell them "mindgames".

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
I've fiddled with the five-finger hold before, actually. If I didn't have to hold the controller up with only my left hand, I'd probably have given it some serious attention.

I don't see why Brawl coming soon-ish is a reason not to try to adjust to clawing. If they allow the GC controller in it, well there you go, or if its only classic - you can claw that too. I've clawed pretty much every notable controller once the SNES came out.

It's an adjustment, don't get me wrong, and it may not be worth the time for most people. If you do, though, it works nicely on everything current except the Wiimote. Fudging wiimote making me play like normal people )';

Thorns

Smash Cadet
I claw with Falco and Peach. I instinctively touch the C-Stick for aerials, so I like using the normal style, thumb on control stick, right index on l, left index on r, and left thumb for jumping, b, etc.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i hold it normally, i use X for everything that involved jumping, and i use L to wave dash and the C-stick to perform most arials. Y is the cleanest button on my controller because I never hit it ever lol, i only use Z for chain grabs, other wise I use R+A. I also use R to tech, to roll, to waveland, to air dodge, and to block

just practice. you'll get fast with whatever combination you find comfortable.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
i hold it normally, i use X for everything that involved jumping, and i use L to wave dash and the C-stick to perform most arials. Y is the cleanest button on my controller because I never hit it ever lol, i only use Z for chain grabs, other wise I use R+A. I also use R to tech, to roll, to waveland, to air dodge, and to block

just practice. you'll get fast with whatever combination you find comfortable.
I'm very much the same way only I do use Y for DSHL and double fair with Marth (only the first hit though cause you should use your c-stick for aerials). Just found it easier to move from the Y to B for lasers and multishining.

I only L cancel with L and use R for pretty much everything else. The way I see it my left being the recessive hand should have less impact and honestly the control stick and L canceling is enough.

My best advice for you is pretty much already stated in the quote. Stick with what feels good for you and WORK ON IT. If you change it up all the time your fingers will take that much LONGER to learn. Can't move from X to B fast enough to DSHL but you can SH fine otherwise? In that case you're prolly better off just practicing and getting faster rather than changing it up. Don't try to learn it all in one day. Your brain doesn't work that way. Even just 30 min a day adds up, believe me. Better to work hard for 30 min and CONCENTRATE 7 days a week than do 1 practice for hrs and get frustrated. Stick with it and just accept the fact that sure it might be hard at first but once you get it.......man......whole new game you're playing.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I "claw" in a strange way for most games (Left hand only, palm on control stick, thumb handling the main buttons, pinky for L and pointer for R. the right hand just holds the controller) But that doesn't work for smash for me.

I hold the controller in a normal way, but I never use the jump buttons. my right hand just presses A and B while my left hand takes the control stick, L button, ... and the c-stick. Yes, I reach across the controller to c-stick, but I can still SHFFL aerials just fine while doing that so mleh. I can also still WD, JC, and SH well with the control stick; so mleh on that too.

The reason I use such a style is because my right side (especially hand) lacks extremely fine coordination, etc. due to scarring on my brainums, so I'm used to my left hand doing the job of 1 and 1/2 hands XD

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm very much the same way only I do use Y for DSHL and double fair with Marth (only the first hit though cause you should use your c-stick for aerials). Just found it easier to move from the Y to B for lasers and multishining.

I only L cancel with L and use R for pretty much everything else. The way I see it my left being the recessive hand should have less impact and honestly the control stick and L canceling is enough.

My best advice for you is pretty much already stated in the quote. Stick with what feels good for you and WORK ON IT. If you change it up all the time your fingers will take that much LONGER to learn. Can't move from X to B fast enough to DSHL but you can SH fine otherwise? In that case you're prolly better off just practicing and getting faster rather than changing it up. Don't try to learn it all in one day. Your brain doesn't work that way. Even just 30 min a day adds up, believe me. Better to work hard for 30 min and CONCENTRATE 7 days a week than do 1 practice for hrs and get frustrated. Stick with it and just accept the fact that sure it might be hard at first but once you get it.......man......whole new game you're playing.
word.
i remember only a few weeks ago, i was convinced it was impossible to do marth's shdf's with the C-stick for both fairs, but i practiced and can do them at will now, without having to change up my playing style

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I can literally close the Controller in my hand, and i really don't have a problem with anything that requires finger dexterity, no big hand johns :)

Top Bottom