• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys train?

D

Deleted member

Since I'm getting sick of losing streaks, I'm gonna take the advice of "play to learn". But how does one even go about doing that?

I've read that fighting CPUs won't help if you're an online player. Is this true? I find losing to CPUs less personal tbh. Is training mode even a viable option?

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
You're right to avoid playing against computers. The AI doesn't play at all like how a real person does, and will teach you a lot of bad habits. They are better than nothing, but not by much. As for training mode, it is useful for things like practicing combos and learning how your moves work, but it won't give you much practice per se.

If I were going to suggest anything, it would be the online arenas. Find one with a rule set you want to improve at, or even make one of you can't find any. Play around with the skill level setting until you find the one that most closely matches your current ability, then dig deep and dive in. You'll still lose some, but it is probably the best practice you can get alone. Since there isn't real matchmaking for this mode, you will sometimes end up playing against people way better or worse than you, but those can also be valuable experiences. The most important thing is that you stick with it and learn from both your victories and failures.

Last edited:

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
I'm not an expert at this, but one strategy I've tried is this:

Identify one thing I'd like to be able to do more (like punishing my opponent's hits on shield with aerials OoS, for example).
Play matches while not trying to win, but just trying to do that piece of tech/strategy over and over.

Eventually, I'll get tired of losing and naturally start to reincorporate real play when I know whatever I'm practicing won't work. By the time I've ditched trying to force it entirely, I'll be using the new tool correctly.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I practice tech in training mode (short hop fast fall aerials, combos, etc...) until they’re super consistent. I practice making reads, mindgames, approaching, implementing my tech efficiently and playing the actual game with my one friend who is a little better than me and he gives me feedback about what I did wrong and vice versa. Then I make sure I save all my replays from online and against my friends, especially loses and watch them and go over what I did wrong, what I did right, my habits, if I was being predictable, etc... I haven’t gotten the chance to go to a tournament yet but I’ll use those to improve too

Uffe

Smash Hero
I practice tech in training mode (short hop fast fall aerials, combos, etc...) until they’re super consistent. I practice making reads, mindgames, approaching, implementing my tech efficiently and playing the actual game with my one friend who is a little better than me and he gives me feedback about what I did wrong and vice versa. Then I make sure I save all my replays from online and against my friends, especially loses and watch them and go over what I did wrong, what I did right, my habits, if I was being predictable, etc... I haven’t gotten the chance to go to a tournament yet but I’ll use those to improve too
To add to this, look at your opponents habits. What attacks do they favor the most. How do they get up off the ledge? Do they roll, stand, or jump? Does your opponent like being in the air a lot? If they do, do they approach you from the air? If so, shield and punish. If they approach on the ground, you're more likely to be grabbed if you're blocking often. There is basic knowledge that you can look at, and then there is match up knowledge. If you don't know the match up, just try your best. If you know what to expect from specific characters, chances are that person using the character will play in the current meta game.

So far, I've noticed that whenever I come across an Inkling, they like to throw out their bomb first. When they want to ensure a kill, they'll go for a roller so they can ground you and do a smash attack. The Wolfs I've come across so far like to use their Blaster in the beginning. It goes far an is annoying. Young Link likes to shoot a fire arrow when he's offstage at an attempt to keep you from running off and edge guarding him. It's things like that. Once you start to learn, you'll become better against certain characters. Needless to say, there are a lot of annoying characters online who love to play keep away, so you might want to invest sometime learning a character who can strike from a distance. And if I recall correctly, you have Richter Belmont. He and Simon are annoying, but if it gets the job done, then take advantage of it.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
To add to this, look at your opponents habits. What attacks do they favor the most. How do they get up off the ledge? Do they roll, stand, or jump? Does your opponent like being in the air a lot? If they do, do they approach you from the air? If so, shield and punish. If they approach on the ground, you're more likely to be grabbed if you're blocking often. There is basic knowledge that you can look at, and then there is match up knowledge. If you don't know the match up, just try your best. If you know what to expect from specific characters, chances are that person using the character will play in the current meta game.

So far, I've noticed that whenever I come across an Inkling, they like to throw out their bomb first. When they want to ensure a kill, they'll go for a roller so they can ground you and do a smash attack. The Wolfs I've come across so far like to use their Blaster in the beginning. It goes far an is annoying. Young Link likes to shoot a fire arrow when he's offstage at an attempt to keep you from running off and edge guarding him. It's things like that. Once you start to learn, you'll become better against certain characters. Needless to say, there are a lot of annoying characters online who love to play keep away, so you might want to invest sometime learning a character who can strike from a distance. And if I recall correctly, you have Richter Belmont. He and Simon are annoying, but if it gets the job done, then take advantage of it.
This is really important. That’s why when I play Wolf I’ll dash and short hop straight in and go for a fair and put them at disadvantage immediately. Learn your character’s meta and learn what people online usually do online with them then do something different

RWyvern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RWyvern
I hop on Quickplay (should check out some arenas, huh?) and try to identify my weaknesses and improve on them. Admittedly I’m not aiming to become one of the best, heck, I can’t even access a local scene so why bother becoming even tournament good? But I like to see some improvement. Just last night I was up against a matchup I’ve never had before in this game and still made the comeback at a two stock 120% damage deficit, because I was actively working to identify both my and my opponent’s flaws.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I enter CrazyHand online tournaments and play quickplay to test out what I pick up from the tournament. I also have a couple online friends I lab things with, e.g. new characters to try, combos, etc.

Top Bottom