• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys not lose your cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidStrifer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0216-1748-2376
I am a very competitive person and normally don't lose my **** (rage) when it comes to video games but out of all the games I have ever played smash is the only one that drives me overboard with emotions. I get angry, insanely happy, sad, depressed, I throw my controls and 3ds like it means nothing to me. These are things that I don't do at all when I participate in other activities. Smash is the only thing that brings this type of reaction out of me. I truly wish I knew why and I am wondering how you guys don't lose your cool in games when the opponent is playing campy and just spamming cheap moves and whatnot. These attacks don't hit me but they ruin the fun of the game causing me to make mistakes and just send me overboard. (People are entitled to play as they wish. I'm not judging campers nor do I hate them. But if you are stalling for 5 mins it can make a man crazy)

If you guys can help with any advice it would be cool thanks!
:bluejump:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Understand that each loss you take is a lesson. Learn from your mistakes, get better, and you don't have to lose very often anymore. I would never throw my controller in anger, you should learn not to as well. I'm not exactly the most emotionally stable when it comes to smash, many people know I rage quit when I lose. But it just gives me motivation to get better and beat them next time. Or next time. Or next time, until I can finally beat them on a consistent basis.

As for campy players, you have a few options. You can choose not to play them for one, or you can camp your ass off. I mostly choose not to play those players who are super campy. However, it is possible to out space a campy player and win through well timed approaches and attacks. It's just not as exciting as an aggressive match where both players just want to kill the other. Those are when I have the most fun.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
well i noticed that you're a link main... when i first started i mained link and ran into the same problem. characters with tether grabs can have a big problem with their neutral game, due to not having any room for error. my recommendation is to explore all of the characters and play for a while with somebody with a strong neutral like kirby, to learn how to approach better. learning how to z-cancel consistently will automatically double your strenth imho, and should be one of your first priorities.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
Honestly I think the best thing you can do when getting angry at smash bros. is to take some time off(like a week or however long it takes) and ask yourself why you want to play smash, and what your goals in improving are. You need to set reasonable goals for your self and always value a lesson learned over a win. Chances are you are emotional because you are passionate about the game series and set unreasonable goals for yourself in terms of winning matches. Good Luck on the difficult but rewarding road to getting better at smash

SolidStrifer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0216-1748-2376
Thanks guys. Really good advice. I will take these to heart and apply them to myself.

M4TT

Smash Cadet
I feel like im the opposite, at least now. This game is to fun to get angry at. I mean i guess I understand it can definitely get frustrating when you make errors.
But in some situations theres nothing you can do (falcon up air, kirby up-tilt, fox's up tilt kinda) ((well DI actually but that doesnt always save you))

Also usually when your playing angry in this game you do worse. start making stupid decisions, so thats going to hurt you.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I almost never tend to get angry in games. I just ask what I should be doing more, what I did wrong, and keep playing them until I improve.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
play on dreamland instead of hyrule if you're playing a campy player, and focus on learning and having fun rather than on winning. :)

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I've thrown my controller, I've punched a wall, I've yelled. But even after I do, I walk over, pick my controller up, and say

"One More Time"
"Cmon I'll win this time"
"Just choose someone you're better with"
and most of the time I'll win after that.

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
look into starting birth control it will level out your hormones.
LMAOOOO get rekt

but honestly just treat every match like it's practice and work on specific things like spacing or a particular combo or a matchup or an edgeguard, and you will notice these subtle improvements more than noticing the final stock count

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I get mad (a bit) online but I don't get mad offline (if anything, I'm a bit too calm.) Not sure whyyyyy

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
sorry tbrett i'm from new orleans... must still have an accent.
looks like i'm not too far away from you; in sequim, wa now.

EDIT: dude nevermind you're way the **** up there... was thinking of bonbon5353(?)
yo victoria's pretty much right across the water from me; i'm in the next town over from port angeles.

:)

Last edited:

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
idk, i dont think its in me to rage about anything that should be fun. if it has the potential to make me mad i wouldnt play lol

maybe thats just my personality

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I agree, Meek. Sure, you can get frustrated at your own performance or others' playstyle but it's no reason to lose your cool. Just take a step back, take a breath, and use your knowledge to come up with a solution.

I always think that you should go into a match expecting to learn something new. Expect to improve, don't expect to merely win.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
I agree, Meek. Sure, you can get frustrated at your own performance or others' playstyle but it's no reason to lose your cool. Just take a step back, take a breath, and use your knowledge to come up with a solution.

I always think that you should go into a match expecting to learn something new. Expect to improve, don't expect to merely win.
What did you learn when you played me

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I learned that I have a slightly different playstyle when I first awake.

For real though, you have a wacky playstyle in friendlies which really changes the pace and puts the defender (me) in a totally different state of mind. I wish I would've played your Pika more. You're tourney sets vs Zeds were pretty fun to watch though.

I think it's cool that you force your opponent to think a bit differently even if you're just doing something like going for a DK punch.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
Haha I was hoping you'd say that teck skill is over rated. For real all you guys were so much faster and more precise than me, makes me realize I really need to work on that. But the DK punch is probably the best move in the game, just throw it out and hope someone runs into it

And I had a bunch of fun playing yall, I'm gonna see if I can't start playing online.

As for OP, you could always start doing new, stupid things. Sometimes they work and you learn something new, and if they don't it's hard to get frustrated doing something you know you wouldn't normally do

Pelagia

Smash Rookie
If you play 3ds to couple rounds of Smash run then go back to for Glory, otherwise do some falcon punch rounds to let your anger ging out through this fiery punch.

D

Deleted member

religion and/or spirituality

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom