• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys beat Sonics? The Good ones who space

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Welp ima asking you guys since I now officially am tired of losing this match up. I come close but never can seal the deal.

RPGparagon

Smash Rookie
NNID
RPGparagon
3DS FC
5386-8052-5191
I play defensive against sonics. Pretty much just shield a lot and try to bait them into doing things and punish them. There is really only so much marth can do. A lot of sonic players love the side b spin dash move into up air and I always just shield it because it does heavy damage. Then try to punish them in the air. I'm honestly not too good with the sonic match up but this is generally what I do.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
I tend to just wait until they slip up while just keeping them out with moves like Jab, Up-Tilt, F-Tilt, and retreating Nairs and occasionally full hop Fairs. It has worked for me, I think that it just takes patience, Sonic is an annoying character to fight, and almost anyone can pick him up and do well. I just hate Sonic no matter who I play to counter him.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Either nail them out of a jab (it beasts or clanks with almost everything sonic has) or go for the lol upthrow at 150% if you want a killmove. You are not going to land any good kill options on him most of the time... I'm dubious about trying to trade with Bair... Maybe it works.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
A lot of sonic players love the side b spin dash move into up air and I always just shield it because it does heavy damage.
It doesn't do as much (heavy)damage as it used to but shielding is a good strategy because at leas it's completely safe.

Sonic is an annoying character to fight, and almost anyone can pick him up and do well.
That's just the typical unfair saltiness against Sonic. I don't mean to be rude but if you truly believe that than you really need to "git gud".

@ Pugwest Pugwest
First of all, Sonic clearly has the advantage. The key is being REALLY patient and smart (Marth players should be used to playing like this anyway). Against Sonic I use tilts a lot. The dashes have been nerfed and are stopped by about anything. Dtilt, Ftilt and jabs against noobs dashing all around. If you see the homing attack charging just counter or Utilt. If the Sonic is smart and baits you well...there's nothing much you cant do except keep spacing as well. Retreating short hop Fair helps.
Don't wiff smash attacks left and right, you'll get punished, time those well.
It's a tough match up.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
That's just the typical unfair saltiness against Sonic. I don't mean to be rude but if you truly believe that than you really need to "git gud".
True, I had just played a bunch of Sonics who just did spin dash up air combo, and the dash attack combo so I did get used to it and now I know how to punish it and counter most of his moves. I never really played that many Sonics before so I was a bit inexperienced. I will admit I was a bit annoyed/salty and I did need to "git gud."

Top Bottom