• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ness?

Dhaos

Smash Rookie
I feel like I have no options, he has a easy response to anything I dish out, he can eat or trade any projectile, and seems impossible to approach, but has every option to pressure me into approaching.

Robin kind of feels like a inferior Ness.
-Spammable unlimited fire in neutral that trades will everything except thoron, and sets up or chains easily.
-Fast spammable unlimited killable areals many safe on shield.
-Reliable kill throw earlier than Robin.
-Easier edge guard that lasts longer.
-Magnet to absorb and a smash to reflect.
-Better disadvantage state.
-8 frame nair OOS
-10 frame grab OOS
-10 frame Up-smash OOS

Robin has a better recovery but is limited, and not exactly difficult for Ness to pressure especially guarding ledge with yoyo, or Magnet to eat any pressure.

How do I approach this, I feel like no matter what I do all my options are covered, and have very little room to bait things out. Even if I parry an areal he still seems to get away, can I get some advice on this?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So I know this reply is really late, but there is one thing Ness has that Robin can abuse...

Stubby-Little-Child-Arms

Ness has a really bad time against Swordies in general because they can outrange his normals with ease. Take advantage of this as Robin by applying more Levin Pressure than usual. Robin is also great at sniping Ness's double jump with arch thunder.

Lastly in this match up, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO THROW OUT THORON. Because of the multihit nature, Ness only recovers roughly 2 percent from absorbing Thoron, so his only true method of countering it is to use a Forward Smash to reflect which most Nesses do not do.

Hopefully this info helps, I think Ness is actually a positive match up for Robin. Lucas on the other hand....

Top Bottom