• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How do you feel about the practicality of practicing on the 3DS?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
As in, you're on the way to a tournament with no Wii U for several hours, but you want to warm up your hands. What do you feel you can learn before transitioning it to the console successfully? Do you feel that owning a New 3DS - for the C-stick - makes the difference?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
The C-stick makes a big difference, but I know 2 friends (who own the New 3ds) never use the darn thing (at least in smash) so it really depends if you want to use it or not. Other than that, I don't really have an answer for transitioning. Maybe just get used to your own button combination that you're used to.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I feel like making the jump from 3DS controls to a standard controller shouldn't be that hard, however there is a visual difference (in my opinion, this isn't based on fact) that seems to screw things up. Before I owned a Wii U I played on 3DS exclusively and used the 3DS as a controller at tournaments and I always felt uncomfortable transitioning to the smooth glossy Wii U framerate on a TV after being used to 3DS processing and even worse, 3DS lag online.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
I feel like making the jump from 3DS controls to a standard controller shouldn't be that hard, however there is a visual difference (in my opinion, this isn't based on fact) that seems to screw things up. Before I owned a Wii U I played on 3DS exclusively and used the 3DS as a controller at tournaments and I always felt uncomfortable transitioning to the smooth glossy Wii U framerate on a TV after being used to 3DS processing and even worse, 3DS lag online.
Just as a curious question, how is it like to use 3DS in tournaments? I only have a 3DS but I want to attend tournaments when I get older (as in start college in 2 years). I have played on Wii U with a 3ds and it reads my inputs more accurately than off line 3ds at times.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
From a pure controller standpoint it's not even that bad. My only gripe is having to go through the awkward connection process each time I do a match that isn't back to back on the same setup.

You can still do well. Don't let it stop you from entering. But personally I find the transition from looking at a 3DS screen all the time to playing on a TV with a Wii U kind of jarring.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Just as a curious question, how is it like to use 3DS in tournaments? I only have a 3DS but I want to attend tournaments when I get older (as in start college in 2 years). I have played on Wii U with a 3ds and it reads my inputs more accurately than off line 3ds at times.
I have attended a local tournament last year, and we have used the Wii U, but I used my 3ds as a controller. It is kind of comfortable, but get used to visual changes and feel a change in your character when playing. (Roy feels different on Wii U than 3ds). Some things that RequiemRedStar RequiemRedStar said also apply to this

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The C-stick makes a big difference, but I know 2 friends (who own the New 3ds) never use the darn thing (at least in smash) so it really depends if you want to use it or not. Other than that, I don't really have an answer for transitioning. Maybe just get used to your own button combination that you're used to.
I was excited when I realized that New 3ds will have C stick. But after I tried it out, I quickly give up on it. And perhaps I played mostly Smash 3ds, I rarely use C stick when I was finally able to play the Wii U version. And I am an old core Smash Bros player I use GC controller for both Melee and Brawl (There was a time that I changed to Wii remote plus Nunchunk because I though Wii U won't support GC controller). I notice the huge difference between GC and 3ds. My 10+ year old GC controller has slightly jerky buttons and the R and L triggers are least quicker compare to 3ds. 3ds buttons are much clicky and the circle pad was kibd of awful when I use it for Smash for the first time, I eventually get used to it.
Problem is how I need to get used to the controller when I jump these two games around.

Bowcaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkyBlueSheepy
3DS FC
1822-2399-1574
I don't have a wii U and have been playing on the 3DS since launch. Takes a few games to adjust your hands to the different button spacing but its easy enough to translate the buttons

D

Deleted member 189823

The only real reason is if you lack a WiiU, and want to lab on it. Like, you can still practice if you go to tournaments and friend's. I was there for well over a year, and it hurt my game a little (granted, I was going "over the top" with the demand on my tech skill). If you main, say, Bowser, chances are, you'll do perfectly fine (low-learning curve and playability).

Now, is it practical? Well, that depends. How's your 3DS fairing? What about your hands? are you actually flowing among the curve nicely, or is it limiting you? C-Stick makes a word's difference for characters that use turnaround F-Smash (in my case, Corrin).

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Its pretty nice to have the C stick... I use smash attacks mostly using the C-stick. Glad I got the New 3DS recently. Nowadays I can't play on Wii U as much because I'm away from home for college. So I'm very grateful there is a 3DS version. I would say I play better on the Wii U version, but I can still practice and play on 3DS so I don't get too rusty.

CanisInfernus

Smash Rookie
My biggest problem with the 3DS is the lack of notches around the control stick (pad... thing). Which is also my main problem with the Wii U Gamepad or Pro Controller, anyway; it sucks when you accidentally do the wrong special while recovering, or things of that nature. Aside from that, I personally don't tend to use the c-stick too often, which seems to be everybody's make-or-break feature with it.

Top Bottom