• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about the Little mac is "OP" complainers?

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
when the game first came out on 3ds.... i remember the little mac complainers.Trust me, i live with my brother who is this kind of guy, and GOD it's annoying. he is a newcomer to smash, but he's the typical little mac whiner and complainer. people that complain bout characters in general PISSES me off. diddy kong, rosa, mac, just to name a few. Everyone has a opinion on characters, but whining about it is annoying.

Cookie Boy

Smash Rookie
Anyone that says that Mac is overpowered nowadays are just bad at the game imo.
Sure, when the game came out and everyone was both mediocre and struggling with 3DS controls, that and along with the fact that matchups weren't discussed at all, I can see why some players found him annoying. But as I said, after over a year of Little Macs struggling (both on for glory and off), I fail to see how anybody can consider him cheap anymore.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I think most of them died off between 1.0.4 and 1.0.8. To be honest i have not heard a single "Mac is OP" in a long while. Probably due to the rise of the "For glory Mac scrub phenomenon" I remember back at 3ds launch people were saying things like: "I was going to main Mac but seeing how everone else is going to, i`m not. Then he got some undeserved nerfs and suddenly everyone forgot about him.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I just simply ignore most of them. If they think he's still OP, they either don't know hoe to fight him, just got the game and haven't figured anything out about characters yet, or they're just casuals(and I don't neccessarily mean that as a bad thing). There will always be people who complain about anything, regardless of if its warrented or not. I'm sure once these people get better, they'll stop complaining, but then there'll be newer players who will make the same claims as to things like this. People will always find something to complain about.

BintonGaming

Smash Rookie
Little Mac has been my main ever since I got the game, mainly because I suck at smash yet with Little Mac I can dominate against long time players using their mains.

I always thought Little Mac was OP until someone I played against also played as Little Mac (since LM is their main as well) and I dominated them.

So I guess I'm just good with Little Mac. But then I must bring back up that if I play as any one else, those same people I once dominated with LM will completely destroy me. So Whether he's cheap or not is beyond me. I just have fun using him xD

Gavi1195

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gavi1195
3DS FC
3024-8441-4898
From my experience, Little Mac is not Op. He is not brawl Meta Knight and he is definitely not Pre Patch Sm4sh Luigi. For a character to be OP IMO, they need to have too many advantages to the point where fighting that character with most, if not all, of the cast is unreliable at best and outright disastrous at worst.

Mac's Ground Game, without any doubt, is one of the best, if not the best in the game. Top tier, no doubts about it. However, it takes A LOT of skill and experience to master it. Not only that, but Mac has been designed that in compensation for the Ground Game, His grab game and Safe moves game take a toll. All of his moves are unsafe and can be punished if the opponent has the right character and skill to do so. His Grab game is Mediocre at best since the grab itself is unreliable and even if you do land it, there are no guaranteed follow ups (Which usually relies on the opponent failing a tech) and none of the throws are kill throws except on Sudden death (Specifically B-Throw and U-Throw) This is of course without including his subpar air game and terrible recovery.

Another interesting part about Mac is that he is a gambler similar to the likes of Falcon. If you know what your doing, you can make something out of it.

In the end, if someone complains that your are being cheap or Mac is op. Pretty much do the same that a Rosalina Main would ask to that complainer: "Play the character and tell me how easy it is to win games against High Level players without dedicating time to this character."

Last edited:

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
I feel that they are beneath my attention.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The same way I feel about the Rosalina complainers, I don't give a **** what they say. I play whoever the **** I wanna play as.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
The same way I feel about the Rosalina complainers, I don't give a **** what they say. I play whoever the **** I wanna play as.
i agree with you man. **** the haters. When it comes to rosa i have nothing against her. i respect good rosa players. Mainly cause of all the fg rosas.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
People don't like Little Mac because he's polarizing. Fighting a competent Little Mac is never fun.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
People think Mac is OP?

The KO punch is a bit stupid but I guess they had to give him something for having no aerial game or recovery, and his smashes and tilts are amazing, but OP? Has there even been a Mac in a tourney? I only watch the last few rounds of the big ones, I haven't seen him in a tournament except in doubles teamed with Jigglypuff to save him in early tournaments.

I did have fun playing against a Mac in For Glory 95% of the time, easy gimps. I don't see him played a lot on there either.

If anything I see him as more of a casual/gimmick pick.

No offense to Mac mains ofc.

Last edited:

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
It baffles me to think that people think that Little Mac is OP.

The K.O punch is kind of a gimmick mechanic.... but considering that you can gimp mac for very quick and easy stocks does not put him even close to being an OP character!

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

The K.O punch is kind of a gimmick mechanic.... but considering that you can gimp mac for very quick and easy stocks does not put him even close to being an OP character!
Only bad Little Mac players are easy to gimp.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I think a lot of the animosity is due to the fact that Final Destination plays to all of Mac's strengths. If For Glory had more of the neutral stages like Battlefield, I think more people would understand Mac's limitations.

I just had a rough few rounds tonight against a good Mac online. I was like, "okay, let's get him off the stage and gimp him!"
Three matches later I was screaming at the TV, "WHY DOES HE HAVE SO MUCH [CENSORED] SUPER ARMOR AND DK DOESN'T?!"
Yeah. I ragequit, changed my nickname to "no-skill" and felt bad about it for the rest of the night.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
People who complain about certain characters are ones who don't understand the MU. That's all there is to it, really. Recall what Sun Tzu once said in his immensely influential ancient Chinese book The Art of War:
"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Most people have probably said this,but i think it boils down to Matchup experience. Until someone has played that matchup enough to be comfortable,they'll probably say something like that. Best Case scenario they dominate the matchup or at least learn something from the loss.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
People think Mac is OP?

The KO punch is a bit stupid but I guess they had to give him something for having no aerial game or recovery, and his smashes and tilts are amazing, but OP? Has there even been a Mac in a tourney? I only watch the last few rounds of the big ones, I haven't seen him in a tournament except in doubles teamed with Jigglypuff to save him in early tournaments.

I did have fun playing against a Mac in For Glory 95% of the time, easy gimps. I don't see him played a lot on there either.

If anything I see him as more of a casual/gimmick pick.

No offense to Mac mains ofc.
In my area. i'm the only mac main representing in tournaments. people sleep on him man. but in the 3ds days he was the king of fg.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884

it was mostly back in 3ds days.... but my bro complains a lot bout him.

Top Bottom