• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about edge guarding?

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Uhhhh...yeah. Even if you really wanted to let your opponent return to the stage so you could attempt to KO him/her by launching him/her from the stage, you're only limiting yourself and making the match tougher for yourself if you don't edgeguard. For all you know, your opponent could just come back up and pull off the greatest comeback to take your last stock, whereas you would've taken their last stock had you edgeguarded.

And let's say you're good enough that you don't need to edgeguard against your current opponent. It's still just cocky and stupid, because it's not like that's going to work against everyone you play with.

How could anyone not want to edgeguard? It's just silly. Don't you think they'd do the exact same thing in traditional fighters if getting out of the ring didn't result in an instant KO (if, for example, you got a KO after being out of the ring for 7 seconds)? You want to beat your opponent. You don't want to do anything that will make your opponent's match easier. Especially in Brawl, where recovery is a lot easier than in either of the two previous games.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Edgeguarding is a good tactic to use to beat your opponents for the people that have the desire to win and want to give it all they got. It's not broken since there are ways around edgeguarding tactics. Sure, some are more difficult to get out of than others, but that just means you have to think harder and make the correct moves. Using fictional honor rules will only hold you back.

Edgeguard is a good technique and necessary in some matches.
I play Luigi, and my brother plays Ganondorf. Half the kills come from wavedash to edgeguard. It's a good technique.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Edgeguarding is a fundamental part of the game. In fact, from what I understand, they might have made it easier to do...

D

Deleted member

I like edge-guarding and edge-hopping but I don't edge-hog.

I think edge-guarding is one of the funnest, most strategic, and intense parts of the game. I'm shocked to hear some people don't like/do it. And I mostly play Smash 64.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
In a fighting game there is no fair play, anything goes. Edge hogging is fine, but I don't like how the edge can't be grabbed when someone rolls. That won't stop me from doing it though, lol.

Fats McRobot

Smash Cadet
Edge-Hogging is fun because its mean.

Players who don't play competitively sometimes don't understand the timing of frames, and think they can still recover. I can't really do it well, but I appreciate it when its used against me.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Well to put it this way, your friend can grab a ledge as he climbs back up right?

Then he can do it too, he's just a whiner.

My roommate is like that. He can't handle when I carry him off as Donkey Kong to certain doom, just because he can't escape it. He's thrown my controller down before and I was about ready to yell at him, but he's just a big baby. Some people are like this, so don't play with them.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
Me and my family hate edge hogging, so none of us do it... but we have no problem with edge guarding.

I like to edgeguard with Sheik's chain. My family hates it so much. =P

I play with my older brother, who complains just about everything. He uses Samus, and gets mad if chain guard (yes, Sheik's chain) or kill him with juggling. However, he has no problem when I die. Sometimes, I have to go easy on him and let him win. I thought he was supposed to be setting an example... .______.

Chari

Smash Apprentice
Edge hogging is quite fun to do. Yeah, it's happened to me many of times but I get them back by doing it on them. =D It really doesn't bug me at all.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Personaly learning to not get ledgeguarded is one of the signs I use to tell when someone is getting "good" at smash. When someone starts shieldgrabbing, ledgehogging, and Sweet-spotting they are showing talent. Jump cancelled grabs, ledgehopping, Crouch cancelling, spiking, and the like are all part as well. L Cancelling, and wavedashing don't pop up as much because I have to tell people about them.
If someone is complaining about Edgeguarding they aren't good at smash yet. Tell them to get better. And remember nothing's cheap*, smash harder. Stalls and things that remove all control of a character are cheap, but nobody in the area can do them.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I used to never edgeguard. I use to let my friend come back up, when we played and complain when he didn't let me up. Then I realized why I always lost. Now that I've started to do it more, I get a few more KOs. But I would much rather prefer to build up alot of damage on my foe and then send him "Blasting off again" ala Team Rocket. Thats more fun that preventing him from coming back if you ask me. Also my friend plays as Peach and is very annoying with the coming back.. so I'd much rather send her up up and away. Fox's McCloud flip (u-air) rules for that.. This is in Melee of course.

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
That kind of seems like a friend I have. I play as the Capt., and he usually plays Dr. Mario. Neither of us wavedash, because I didn't even learn about it until recently, and with it cut from Brawl, I feel no need to try and master it at this point. I do, however, shield dodge/roll. He doesn't even do this as it's too troublesome or some nonsense. Then I found these forums and picked up SHFFLing and some other things like edge-hogging (just never thought of it before). Anyway, he got really pissed when I started dominating him all the time. I think his losses got a bit too much for him...he's got a 70 in WoW now. I'm disappointed.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I don't like jumping.

Wtf i spent all that time walking around just to be put back in the air again?

Jumping is so cheap.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
Regarding people who refuse to maximize all edge techniques, I say this to you. Get over the feeling right away. I say this because it's by no ways an unfair technique. Anyone can practice the technique and application. Someone who knows how to do it better than the group needs to show the others how to do it themselves. People who complain just make excuses.

Especially considering the online metagame we will have soon. Because this game is online, certain styles of play will spread to a large amount of people faster than before. If certain players see that they lose all the time because others use the edge game, they will adapt and incorporate that into their styles as well.

But whatever makes the game fun for everyone is up to them. Anti-edgetech players, just don't be too surprised when you get punished online if you still feel this way in the long run.

lazychi

Smash Cadet
wow haha, my friends think the same way of throwing in other fighting games (Which suprises me. its not cheap at all). Its pretty normal and cmon, why let them get back on? the only way to take off stocks is by knocking them off the screen.

IWANTHOTDOG

Smash Apprentice
My friend doesn't like it when I edge hog him, be laughs his *** off when we play with 2 other cpus and i do it to them lol. So I try not to do it to him, but Ill doo it once in a while when it doesn't look as "cheap" to him.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
:) Usually I dont type in these topics but for today I will.I mean cmon,lets face it,when your up against someone and you beat them,they are gonna complain reguardless.When they complain about techs and such,its all the same deal.Because they cant grasp the concept of what your doing(even tho if its a award in the game for doing so),it just show how much more you play the game than him/her.And as Ced the Lad?(dunno,forgot your name spelling)said,youd have to be a fool to think that sorta stuff isnt gonna be used in a online enviroment.

Its even at the site ladies and gentlemen.If they are techiques to help recovery,their are also techiques to stop/hinder them.Damm.. :embarrass "You must recover!"..."emph"said the Raven"never more.."And you can damm well place your bets on the Raven online. :laugh:

Baconater

Smash Cadet
I learned how to wavedash because I started playing people that could. I didn't really like it that much so I started playing Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff as you know, is one of the best edgeguarders, true she may not have a real spike, but she can KO you off the screen and then come back on. (she's also very hard to edgeguard against) If it's a real competitive match, sure i'll edgeguard, I'll fight you off the screen. If it's just for fun, I sometimes let the person back on and go for the rest kill which i can tell you is far more satisfying than any shine spike.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
do it all the time, get yelled at all the time... ignore the mad people all the time, and continue edge guarding because thats what the point of the game is.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
It's gay if you are Marth... but it is part of the game - get over it - it belongs here and people (even Marths) should do it

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well. It does piss you off.

I'm not against it and do hope to learn how to do it better, or just perform it in the first place once Brawl comes out.

-Onyx

iLink

Smash Champion
edge-guarding is perfectly legit, hes just whining. =P But I don't really do any of that stuff when I'm playing my nooby friends because I could beat them either way

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
At first I thought it was Edge HOGGING, in wich case I could see his point, but edge guarding? As in: C.Falcon tries to come back with his Up B and I sheet him with Doc? And as in I shoot a fully charged ball in the face of Link who tries to swordspin back up?

I mean thats just silly!

Its the main point of the game, trying to knock eachother of the stage and stuff.

Edge hogging is different imo, do note that I DO use it myself and that I dont really mind if others do it, its just a bit lame because it looks so...well...lame :p

"Oh i'll hang on the edge now so you cant come back" >.<

Its perfectly leget ofc, just looks a bit bland when compared to SSB's fast paced fighting action.

A friend of mine always tries to edgehog me but I like to screw attack into him with Samus alot:p

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Well, edgeguarding is a little bit *******ly, but it's a legitimate part of gameplay that anyone can do. Edge hogging is a little more complicated but still okay in my books.

Vro

Smash Lord
Why is this in the Brawl Section? It pertains specifically to Melee mechanics.

Rikana

Smash Champion
lol edge hogging is gay? Then tell him hitting anyone of the stage in the first place is gay. Or even attacking is gay. Tell him to play a game where only taunting is allowed.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
... it says to intercept in the game itself, and it even lists edge-hogging as EDGE HOGGING they put it in for a reason

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's a strategy. You play to win, do you not=??? You want to make it harder for your opponent to win, so naturally edge guarding, edge hogging, or whatever should be done. I've always done edge guarding and edge hogging, lol! :laugh: If you want to win, you have to go to any measure! *slaps controller out of his opponent's hand* :laugh:

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
Edgeguarding is a part of the game that you really need to learn if you are going to get any better. Your friend doesn't really get that it is one of the core components of the game, just show him this thread and the How to Play video in Melee.

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
Edgeguarding and edgehogging are fundamental parts of smash. There is no reason to hate it... shine on the other hand is a completely legetimate hatred, as long as you accept that it is still going to be done to you regardless of how much that broken move pisses you off >.<

Top Bottom