• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you do "the claw"?

AC1D

Smash Cadet
I was talking with a freind about waveshining and double shining, and he said that "the claw" was supposed to help. He did'nt know what the claw was but he had heard it from someone. Someone else told me it was a way of holding your controller. How do you do "the claw"?

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Thank you so much for your wonderful definition of the claw! *sarcasm*

Do you at least know where a picture of someone using the claw might be?:confused:

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
No. Someone once showed me an ugly position to hold it but it was so useless I forgot how it even looked.

There aren't that many people who are willing to show though (b******s). I would like to see it too. But your better off using a controller the normal way.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
I use the claw.

It's where you have your right index finger on X.

How I play:

Right index on X.
Right middle on R/Z
Thumb for A/B/C-stick
I hold the control stick with my index and thumb as opposed to just my thumb like most people...

(^.^)

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I don't claw

If I were to, then I would put the handle below my palm with my hand facing down and just run with it from there. Everything is at your fingertips; cstick, b, a, y, x, z.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
I know someone that use claw. Does indeed seem good, since he can push all the buttons allmoste at the same time.

xelad1

Smash Ace
http://www.teamarlington.net/archives/343 5th row 3rd column, that's mew2king on the far right.... if you enlarge the picture you can see he's using the claw... I don't know if the claw helps for multishining, but I don't know that many people who use it because it can be awkward for some. I guess being able to push X with your index and B with your thumb would be advantageous but I know of plenty of people (like myself) who can multishine with their thumb just fine by sliding from Y to B and even from X to B.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Just don't use the claw, it'll slow down your game, and all techniques can be performed w/o the claw. wft is M2K clawing for? he doesn't do anything that might make someone want to use it. Trust me, i use almost every fox tech trick, and the claw isn't any better, it'll just add time for you to switch holding methods.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Just don't use the claw, it'll slow down your game, and all techniques can be performed w/o the claw. wft is M2K clawing for? he doesn't do anything that might make someone want to use it. Trust me, i use almost every fox tech trick, and the claw isn't any better, it'll just add time for you to switch holding methods.
Well I mean I don't know but its possible that mew2king just plays video games with the claw. I know other people that do.... but yeah to switch to the claw from what you are used to would be a waste of time and effort like scotu said......

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I use the claw.

How I play:

Right index on X.
Right middle on R/Z
Thumb for A/B/C-stick
I hold the control stick with my index and thumb as opposed to just my thumb like most people...

(^.^)
I also hold the controller exactly like this...I call it the double claw.

And scotu you are wrong. I claw and it doesn't slow me down at all. How could it slow you down? It makes it so you don't have to move your thumb as fast and you can preform techniques with more accuracy. I can also play without clawing but clawing is just more comfy for me and I prefer it.

Try to claw and waveshine infinite someone against a wall from 0% to 999% and then try it without the claw..clawing is much eaiser.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ hyllian, you have to move your hand into the claw position. unless you play like that for the whole match. then it's no different from holding it normally.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Most people do play like that for the whole match, freakin weidos.

And I only use claw for infinite jc shines.

XBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXBXB

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Since I jump with the control stick instead of X it doesn't take any longer to put my index finger on X. My index finger usually just rests right beside X...it doesn't take any time to switch at all..

SCOTU

Smash Hero
whatever works i guess. It isn't really all that hard to do it without the claw, so i'd suggest not using it, but do whatever's comfortable. Just note that i can do every fox flashy technique, and i don't claw.

Plus Hylian, don't you use a thumb & finger on the control stick too or something?

Whatever, just do it how you want to, and it'll come.

EDIT:
http://www.teamarlington.net/archives/343 5th row 3rd column, that's mew2king on the far right.... if you enlarge the picture you can see he's using the claw... I don't know if the claw helps for multishining, but I don't know that many people who use it because it can be awkward for some. I guess being able to push X with your index and B with your thumb would be advantageous but I know of plenty of people (like myself) who can multishine with their thumb just fine by sliding from Y to B and even from X to B.
too bad that picture isn't 3rd row 5th Column...

(if you don't get that check the sig)

yeah, i multishine easily w/ y&b, and i don't just jc shine for multishining, actually, multishining is the least useful use for a jc shine.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
whatever works i guess. It isn't really all that hard to do it without the claw, so i'd suggest not using it, but do whatever's comfortable. Just note that i can do every fox flashy technique, and i don't claw.

Plus Hylian, don't you use a thumb & finger on the control stick too or something?

Whatever, just do it how you want to, and it'll come.

Yes I do. and I can do every tech as well without clawing but I prefer to claw. It is all amatter of preference and if you cannot do it normallyyou might as well try and claw.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
I use the claw.

How I play:

Right index on X.
Right middle on R/Z
Thumb for A/B/C-stick

(^.^)
THANK you. I appreciate you actually telling me how it's done

RPK

Smash Lord
the proper way to do it is with your left hand
pinky on the joy stick
ring finger to hold the controller steady
middle finger to also hold the controller steady, though you can also use it to press buttons
Index finger to press the buttons
Thumb for the C-stick
Get good with that and people will hate you for it ^^b

Top Bottom