• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you do dair to grab / upsmash?

Tags

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to practice this for a while now, especially since I notice it's useful against Marth. When I try to practice, even though I L-cancel the dair I don't seem to still have them in hitstun to upsmash or grab. Is there a secret to doing this or am I just screwing up?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Learn to fastfall at the correct moment. This will cause the other character to go through a flip animation. You do those things during the flip.

snex

Smash Master
you should be able to get a grab out without the flip animation, but most characters have options that can stop it if they read you for it. if you *do* get the flip animation, you can get an immediate rest, so you should practice doing that instead.

Sagacious

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2155-9551
I have the same exact issue, I just posted in another thread regarding this. It's so difficult for me to tie in the moves. I tried dairing earlier, later, and just generally timing it differently. Even when I hit L to cancel I feel so much lag and can't tie in an up smash.

Massive

Smash Champion
L-cancelling dair is probably the hardest thing in the game to L-cancel, IMO. It feels extremely late compared to almost every other L-cancel, especially if you're hitting their shield.

It is intrinsically like every other L-cancel though, you have 1-7 frames before landing to hit a cancel button. I know Hbox uses z for this (and that works pretty well, since it's not an analog control like the triggers). If you want a more straightforward training method, there's also IE's "flash on L-cancel" Gecko code you can use for visual feedback of doing it correctly.

Sagacious

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2155-9551
L-cancelling dair is probably the hardest thing in the game to L-cancel, IMO. It feels extremely late compared to almost every other L-cancel, especially if you're hitting their shield.

It is intrinsically like every other L-cancel though, you have 1-7 frames before landing to hit a cancel button. I know Hbox uses z for this (and that works pretty well, since it's not an analog control like the triggers). If you want a more straightforward training method, there's also IE's "flash on L-cancel" Gecko code you can use for visual feedback of doing it correctly.
Sick, thanks a lot. I'll try timing it later then. Do you think it matters if you start dair before hitting the opponent or starting it right when you hit them? I noticed timing the last couple frames of dair on an opponent allows you to fall faster which might make it easier to cancel. I've been learning a lot from your posts in these threads so thank you so much for just being so active and helpful on these boards.

Massive

Smash Champion
There is an ideal situation (and its hitting with the hits of dair that force your opponent to tumble) but you should probably just take what you can get and L-cancel when you can.

I also want to make clear that dair is not like falco's dair>shine or fox's nair>shine, it's not a good way to go about approaching an opponent at low %.
It is better utilized in converting shield pokes into punishes at mid-high %s, especially against floaties.

If you're looking for a good (reasonably safe) approach, I recommend weaving in and out with shorthop nair. If you time it correctly, you can do some really brutal things with it (nair > rest and nair > fsmash are my favorites) and it also autocancels if performed correctly.

Sagacious

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2155-9551
There is an ideal situation (and its hitting with the hits of dair that force your opponent to tumble) but you should probably just take what you can get and L-cancel when you can.

I also want to make clear that dair is not like falco's dair>shine or fox's nair>shine, it's not a good way to go about approaching an opponent at low %.
It is better utilized in converting shield pokes into punishes at mid-high %s, especially against floaties.

If you're looking for a good (reasonably safe) approach, I recommend weaving in and out with shorthop nair. If you time it correctly, you can do some really brutal things with it (nair > rest and nair > fsmash are my favorites) and it also autocancels if performed correctly.
Thanks, approaching with Puff is usually my problem sometimes because I weave out too much from my initial attack and they end up shielding. I practiced some dair > upsmash last night and found that when I shorthop dair it's so much easier. I rarely am able to L-cancel after doing a falling dair from above the opponent. Nair is hard for me to make useful but I realized how important it is after watching matches of Darc baiting people into it. I figured all this time that nair was just used to fall on top of people after they miss an aerial, I didn't realize it's approach capability. I'm gonna mess with the nair > fsmash today on bots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom