• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with Spamus?

Dedenne

Smash Rookie
I play Jigglypuff ofc, but when I run into a Spamus main that really knows what they are doing I can hardly even take a stock off...

They roll so much and you'd think you would be able to land a sing when they roll, but nope nope and their aerial game is decent enough to keep you at bay while using ground bombs to keep you at bay... I don't personally know what to do and I tried playing Ness and couldn't do much. (I may put the Samus players name, if you think you might know him)

P.S- I don't know how to approach, I tried many different approaches and at different angles; however none worked.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
You'll want to hit up the Jiggs Match Up thread for more specifics, but as a fellow slower character I'd recommend practicing your power shielding when attempting to approach. Hard to do consistently online, but with power shielding you'll have minimal shield drop speed and you can pull one off even while sprinting. (When you need to. Don't always sprint while approaching! You'll be limiting your options in case they try to roll/jump past you.)

If they are a roll spammer that favors retreating rolls, practice running at them a little longer than normal before hitting the dash attack or grab as most characters don't have consistent hurtboxes until they are almost back on their feet. If they like to spam roll through you, then you'll want to mix in a d-smash or pivot attack/grab. (Which is where that not sprinting thing comes in. You can pivot attack or grab from a sprint but your other options aren't available.) Whatever you do, don't feed into the panic of rolling yourself when they start spamming the roll. Rolls are a commitment, both in terms of options and spacing, and if they are spammed then they are easily countered. (Assuming the spacing around you favors. As a slow character, if you both are near the edge and they roll past you it will be hard to catch them as they continue to look like a drunk monkey holding on to a fleeing beer keg!) If you are rolling, you are committing to the same counter-able actions they are. (Which they will be watching for, since they will end their roll before you will.)

Other than the basics, you'll want to talk to some good Jigg players (Jiggers? Jiggles? Puffers?) and get some specifics on MU approaches.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
As a puff player who uses Samus as a secondary, I'm pretty good at dealing with the MU. One of the biggest issues is Samus -can- out-air you if they're good. You really don't want to be above samus, ever. Samus also has a horrible roll that is very easy to punish. If they're rolling a lot(like you mentioned), take advantage of it. As said, if they're rolling away from you, extend your dashes, or prepare for them to roll before throwing out your aerials, throwing another jump in before you attack. The projectiles themselves are fairly easy to dodge as puff. Doesn't make them any less annoying though.

when facing samus:
Dashing(Shoulder Tackle and Grapple are both threats): I usually just nair, but make sure I clear the grapple.

U-air: Hit box is basically samus's entire body. Has a slight lag window after ending before samus can do anything else, but it's small so if you aren't already right by her, find a better opening.

Fair: Try and air dodge through her and hit her with an aerial if you see this coming. She's wide open while performing it, as long as you don't approach from the front.

Bair: Like puffs, but more reach. it can kill from roughly the same %s and has the same flaws.

Dair: your typical meteor, same drawbacks.

Nair: Hits in the front rather quickly before swinging to the back.You usually won't have to worry about this.

U-tilt: It's fast and at low %s can be chained together and closed with a charge blast. Being directly in front of samus when she is able to act is dangerous. There really isn't enough end lag to punish this with puff unless it just barely misses your approach, or you shield it.

F-tilt: Good reach, and fast. Same as u-tilt, if you aren't already in a good position to counter it, you probably won't.

F-smash: the endlag on this is fairly noticeable, but it's still fast and a threat.

Down-tilt: Fast and kills, but is about as punishable as an f-smash.
Up-smash can be a nuisance if you like to approach from the air, but it's avoidable and punishable.

Be very wary of super missiles while samus has a full charge beam stored, as shielding a super missile + a charge beam will shield break. Usually better to jump over missiles or just eat it, as the knockback from the missile will clear you from any followup.

Screw Attack can kill, and puff will usually die to it around 120% or so, maybe 130%. This leads back to the "You do NOT want to be above samus"

Bombs are a nuisance, but easily avoidable. If samus is using them on the ground to hinder your dash attacks, SH over them and use an aerial.

The general thing to remember- Samus's moves come out fast, but most have end lag, and she is very vulnerable while rolling. Bait and hit. You have to try and read which method they're going to use to protect themselves(tilt, aerial, roll, whatever) and punish it. If you get too aggressive, you're going to play right into samus's strength.

(fyi, I'm horrible at advice, better at showing. Anyone with better advice, feel free to correct me.)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Only thing I can tell you is to stay on her and don't let her throw too many projectiles at you. Or use a backup or secondary.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Don't let her charge her beam if you can. That's basically all she has against us. Missiles are too slow/easy to dodge and she's mostly really slow, so you can bait then punish. Also her roll sucks and is basically a guaranteed rest in some cases.

Top Bottom