• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with spam?

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
I dont want to see any comments saying "Its not spam its just the way they play" or "Its part of the game so its not cheating or spamming"

Now that ive got that out of the way back to the topic

How do you deal with spam? How do you deal with the Links/Toon Links that spam Tornado to Boomerang to Bomb and Repeat. How do you deal with the Robs that throw their top and shoot lazer every 5 seconds, how do you fight Lucarios that shoot energy blasts over and over and over. Now pair this with people who Dodge roll to the side of the stage each time you get near them to try to stop their spam and just constantly roll until they can find a spot to sit and spam more. Its so annoying and i just cant seem to deal with it, I switch to a character with reflect and then i focus more on reflecting and leave myself open to often to get thrown every time.

So...How do you deal with it? Or do you just SD then leave and fight someone else

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
With lag it's pretty hard to deal with sometimes.

You can't report them for using a tactic, but what are you going to do.

Beat them that's all, or just leave the room yup.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I hate spamming so much! I was playing For Glory the other day, when I ran into this guy who used Shulk and the only moves he used were Backslash(side b) and Counter(down b). I'm a Toon Link main, so I figured a way to counter these players,. Just grab them. They can't attack while being grabbed and if you're using Toon Link or Link, it's way easier to grab.

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
I don't know, in my opinion this game is just really...defensive and campy. I suggest to just be in their face so they dont spam

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
You didnt read what i said did you?
"I switch to a character with reflect and then i focus more on reflecting and leave myself open to often to get thrown every time."
Well there's just so many of these threads, I assumed I'd give you the same advice as I gave 50 million other people. You obviously don't just use the reflector willy-nilly; you have to be on point with your timing so you don't leave yourself open.

Maybe if you told us your main, we could actually provide more valuable advice.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
You deal with it by being more aggressive with your attacks. Just don't air dodge or jump when attacking. Since you main Rosalina, my best tip would be to zone faster with Luma.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
None of the characters I'm passionate about have reflectors so I'm left with Peach and Jigglypuff... more often than not, Peach.

For me, I'll usually just walk toward them and shield at the appropriate moments. If I'm Peach, I'll also hover just above the projectiles to approach faster. Normally, I'd go for a perfect shield while approaching but it's usually harder to do given the lag so I'll sometimes settle for a regular shield.

Once I get in, I'll usually attack while they're still in their projectile animation and I'll stay in and get hits for as long as I can. If I can get the spammer in the air, I'll juggle them over and over with Peach's Up Air rainbow. Spammers also have a bad habit of only using smash attacks and A combos while up close... rarely their tilts. If they try to smash attack, I'll try to punish them in their ending lag... usually with the Peach Bomber since it covers so much distance. Spammers who abuse rolls can also get annoying but in the case of that, I'll usually try to do a Down Smash since it covers both sides. Peach Bomber also allows me catch a roll spammer with the way that it allows you to change direction during its start-up.

Last edited:

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
I dont want to see any comments saying "Its not spam its just the way they play" or "Its part of the game so its not cheating or spamming"

Now that ive got that out of the way back to the topic

How do you deal with spam? How do you deal with the Links/Toon Links that spam Tornado to Boomerang to Bomb and Repeat. How do you deal with the Robs that throw their top and shoot lazer every 5 seconds, how do you fight Lucarios that shoot energy blasts over and over and over. Now pair this with people who Dodge roll to the side of the stage each time you get near them to try to stop their spam and just constantly roll until they can find a spot to sit and spam more. Its so annoying and i just cant seem to deal with it, I switch to a character with reflect and then i focus more on reflecting and leave myself open to often to get thrown every time.

So...How do you deal with it? Or do you just SD then leave and fight someone else
I'd say if you are dealing with a projectile spammer try to avoid their projectiles and to attack all up in their face.As for jab spammers try to zone them away with your projectiles and when they change their approaching options then be up in their face.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I'll say R.O.B or rose and luma are good characters who counter spamers. Rose has luma who can protect rose from aura spheres and mega buster shots also she can bring in all projectiles to herself. R.O.B can reflect stuff and have offense move as well. R.O.B can also spam back with lazers and gyros for ground control.

These might be the easiest characters but they're a ton of other options no one can out spam megamans pellets of cancel. Dark pit has super armor on his sideB. Or you can learn how to play around it.

Last edited:

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
For characters like ROB, they spam not because they're trying to be rude but because the laser/gyro is REALLY GOOD.

Get in close with fast characters like Shiek. For Rosalina, play more aggressive. Luma absorbs a lot of projectiles, so you shouldn't take as much damage as a character like Mario would. Also you have gravitational pull, so... your fault for not using it.

Top Bottom