• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with Sonic?

Bourg

Smash Rookie
I just started playing Captain Falcon instead of Squirtle as my main, and I can handle myself pretty well. I already had a decent SHFFL and good tech timing, and I've been working on my meteor smash as my first new thing. However, I can't seem to handle myself against a good Sonic. I find that I can never seem to get priority on their moves unless I use Falcon Kick, which then results in a massive follow up on me. Also, the spring really messes up my recovery at least once every other game because it just gets dropped on my head. How can I adapt my playstyle to fight against a ball and spring happy Sonic?

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I don't actually have much experience with this match up, but I'd imagine it would largely involve prediction. SHFFL nairs as per usual, and see what they do. I don't believe that can spin right into nair, so they'll have to go over you. If they start doing that, try to predict it and catch them with a Uair. If they're springing, juggle them. If they're Dairing out of spring, predict it and punish.

That's what I would do. Not an informed response, but something.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
^
what he said. Spins in theory should lose to shffl'ed nairs. Against the spring you can only really counterpick to a stage that would allow you to sdi into a wall in order to obtain a good tech.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Platforms are your friend against Sonic, his juggle game is a lot stronger than Falcon's, and his attacks in general are a good bit better when there aren't platforms for you to run to. You mainly want to camp platforms, and wait for an opening to strike below. Ban FD, Smashville, and PS2 for Game 1, so you'll force Sonic into taking you to a 3 platform stage. Even though Falcon generally dislikes small stages, since he likes to have lots of room to run, Sonic is even better at it, and you should focus on taking him to small 3+ platform stages. Prioritze your counterpicks in this order: FOD, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Warioware, and Lylat Cruise. Having those 5 stages guarantees you'll have 2 strong counterpicks against Sonic in a BO5. Games 2 and beyond when you win, your bans should be FD, Skyloft, and GHZ. Nothing else is as bad as those stages in Sonic vs. Falcon.

Top Bottom