• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with projectile spammers?

Shinyespeon

Smash Rookie
I recently just had a few matches with this guy who used Link, samus. The first MU was my pit vs link and I felt pretty helpless between the arrows and boomerang, he would shoot the arrows above my hide so my reflector wouldn't work against it, I lost that match, then switched to my robin to see if it would be better, but he switched to samus. and the only thing I could do was shoot arcfire (which the blaster goes through) and thoron, but it wasn't enough. and of course instead of leaving after losing twice I kept trying different characters like ness, and eventually lost atleast 4 more times. So I just wanted to know how do you deal with projectile spam?

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I don't really notice projectile zoning, I just hop over it, or perfect shield it and approach, if they try to roll, I'll try and make a read.

spam doesn't bother me that much as a G&W main, I have my amazingly OP crouching :p or bucket for that.

Aurora Moon

Smash Rookie
NNID
BowsahWuvah
I suffer from projectile spammers most of the time. If I'm using :4zelda: I just have to use Nayru's Love till they force themselves closer.

With :4robinf: what I do is jump in their direction, then Arcfire before I reach the ground. I try not to block them and lose my shield, so I use Arcfire above their projectile to them.

Ikenna Ezechukwu

Smash Rookie
I'm going to assume you're asking how I usually handle projectile users rather than direct help. I like to play Team Smash more than 1-on-1 so whatever I have to input might not help you at all. As :4alph:, I send my Pikmin forward, naturally beating out their projectile games. If I choose to approach, I keep Down-Smash in mind as the opponents are likely to roll into me. I always approach them if they are at bad at close-quarters combat like most :4robinm::4robinf: are. Pretty much what @ Aphistemi Aphistemi said. Not sure what else to say other than the current For Glory setting sucking for having only Omega stages to fight on.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Projectile spammers have a big advantage on Final Destination. This is why we should be able to play on other stages in For Glory

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
The reason so many players have such a hard time dealing with projectiles is that the tactic needed to beat it is very counterintuitive. When playing as a character that needs to get in to be a threat but lacks the tools to help them deal with projectiles, the safest way to approach your opponents is to be willing to trade damage for positioning. In other words, don't always be afraid to get hit by projectiles.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule, such as projectiles that do a massive amount of damage (full charged shadow balls and aura spheres) or projectiles that lead into larger combos (green fireballs and bombs), but for the most part, taking a bit of damage from projectiles just to get a better positioning is often a great trade in the long run.

1FC0

Smash Lord
zone back, reflect, shield, or keeping up the pressure is what I do.

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
Depends on the character. The main responses are to shield, spot dodge, or roll. However, character specific responses include countering, teleporting, reflecting, and crouching (as some characters are short enough to crouch under most attacks).

When it comes to campy players, you have to learn to be patient and slowly make your way towards them - which can be hard. Also, don't forget that some characters are forced to remain stationary during their projectile attacks, or have a fair amount of recovery.

Different characters will require different tactics, however.

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
I recently just had a few matches with this guy who used Link, samus. The first MU was my pit vs link and I felt pretty helpless between the arrows and boomerang, he would shoot the arrows above my hide so my reflector wouldn't work against it, I lost that match, then switched to my robin to see if it would be better, but he switched to samus. and the only thing I could do was shoot arcfire (which the blaster goes through) and thoron, but it wasn't enough. and of course instead of leaving after losing twice I kept trying different characters like ness, and eventually lost atleast 4 more times. So I just wanted to know how do you deal with projectile spam?
Easy - Rosalina & Luma.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573
Next time you realize someone is a projectile spam use a character like Fox, Falco, Zelda, etc., and just reflect the shots back at them faster and harder. If you don't want to go through that trouble just roll dodge and attempt to dair them after a short hop, so they don't have enough time to actively use a projectile.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Next time you realize someone is a projectile spam use a character like Fox, Falco, Zelda, etc., and just reflect the shots back at them faster and harder. If you don't want to go through that trouble just roll dodge and attempt to dair them after a short hop, so they don't have enough time to actively use a projectile.
uhh no, just run towards them and make them scared to throw out anything. trying to SH Dair them will land you on the ground with landing lag and you will be vulnerable.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Quick note, samus is one of Robin's worst matchups

Link's pretty aggravating to deal with, though

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
When I came across them in team Smash with Ike, once upon a time I used to be all, 'Welp I'm ignoring you.' cause honestly dealing with projectiles as Ike. Sure I'd love to add salt to my lemonade! But of course since I ignored them, guess who was getting hit by all the arrows and thorons and pk thunders and building up all the damage to like 70 when everyone else had like 20?

So then I came to the conclusion that well if I'm hitting them then they can't hit me. And thus I completely rush down on them now to be honest. So yeah its not really some elaborate strategy or anything lol. And it isn't how I normally play my Ike but it was like adapt or die... well lose the match. Or I switch to a secondary who's better equiped to handle the spam if I feel too lazy to try to deal with Ike. But it is one of the most satisfying feelings having a Samus shoot their blaster from across the field, countering it and hitting their teammate.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573
uhh no, just run towards them and make them scared to throw out anything. trying to SH Dair them will land you on the ground with landing lag and you will be vulnerable.
I guess that does make it a bit easier :grin:

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I play Falcon and I just play so aggressively that they can't find the opportunity to spam. If that doesn't work, I counter pick Mario and utilize his cape.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
I'm simply encouraged to use Double Team more often...and I rarely use Lucario's counter at all.

As anyone else, though - Let's say DK, I gotta be a little more patient (Power Shield, Jump, etc.) and bait out their Smash Attacks or grabs...and then go completely nuts on them.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573
I'm simply encouraged to use Double Team more often...and I rarely use Lucario's counter at all.

As anyone else, though - Let's say DK, I gotta be a little more patient (Power Shield, Jump, etc.) and bait out their Smash Attacks or grabs...and then go completely nuts on them.
Or you could go bananas on them :laugh:

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As a Rosalina main, I just use Gravitational Pull until they force themselves to approach.

Top Bottom