• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU deal with platforms?

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I'm making this thread because honestly I have just about no clue how to use platforms to my advantage (if possible) or keep my opponent from using them against me so I want to know how each of you deal with platforms.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
U-Air can be great at getting people on platforms. Its really great for harassment.

In terms of what to do if on a platform, usually you don't want to be in the first place. Once exception to this is the Smashville platform when it is on the side. Then you can jump onto it from the stage or ledge, and peg the oponent with angled arrows as the platform moves you away.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
so when trying to get back to the stage and keep from being juggled I'm guessing I should probably just switch it up between dropping straight through the platforms and touch jumping on a platform and around to the side to bait the opponent into trying to attack me from under the platform.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Lucario usually platform camps, his fsmash is hardly punishable and stays out for so long that you can't roll in. If he stays under a platform, he still has an advantage because you are landing on the platform vs his up smash. Fortunately we have arrows to camp from afar.

I use that platform camp strategy sometimes for characters like fox. I Jab infinite, so they can't rush in, then if they go for an aerial, the platform usually stops them and I up air them.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Remember that there is some kind of plataforms that our glide atack hit it underneath.
Than you can true combo glide atack to dair.

Ok this goes to my list of combos >D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's U-air is probably his best option when it comes to platforms... well if the opponent is above Pit that is. Got an opponent that you suspect will fast fall onto a platform? Go below it and time a SH U-air. N-airs are not as effective for SHs as U-air is, but you might hit the opponent a bit.
I recently have use for the platforms, using Pivot arrows as soon as I drop down from the end of the platform, aim at the opponent, and a surprise attack that is. It could probably help with defenses if an opponent is coming after you, but not sure.

As for other opponents and platforms, Marth is one of the tougher ones to deal with due to his wide-hitting attacks (F-air and F-smash mostly). For this case, I prefer to avoid battlefield. It varies with the matchup, and where you are and where the opponent is. Try not to be above your opponent with platforms as Pit does bad when opponents are below him, where Pit does well when opponents are above him, or at least most of em that is.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think platforms are great for both offensive and defensive purposes.

As said before uair is usually the best thing to do offensively. It also makes a nice little bounce point for enemies leaving them open for further comboing. Only offensive problem i can think of with platforms, is that it tends to block short hop arrow approach for me(on BF). Platforms are great places to set up a wing refresh to chase people down after some aerial combo that exhausts your jumps.

Defensively, there are just tons of reasons i just love them. Most important being characters with attacks that move horizontally. That are easily spammed. Projectiles like falcos blasters, so he cant just sit there and shoot at you or something. It also really helps getting away from stuff like jiggly's roll out that just get annoying when people spam it. They can give a nice quick place to land to replenish jumps especially when knocked off stage (place to glide to/or WoI.) They allow you to quickly hide from and constantly protect you from fast falling Dair attacks like TL, and d thrown items for that matter.

However, the main problem is getting stuck on a platform as said before. If i get stuck above a platform i like to jump off toward and off the edge of the stage, and eventually ending up on the ledge (if forced to) which i think is just overall safer then trying to drop though the platform when someone is directly below you or can get below you before you can safely hit the stage.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I agree with everyone's statements. I usually like to be under a platform to be offensive. I like to use SH Uair a lot, since it forces people to get off of the platform, and can shield poke (or so I've heard). I also sometimes used FH Nair to switch it up a little, but after whats been said here, I'll try to be more carefull with it.

I stay on top (for a little while) to be defensive. I usually use them to land somewhere other than the edge when an opponent is ledge guarding. And I also use them to get a little bit more distance from me and the enemy. I don't stay on the platform too long because Pit doesn't do so well when someones under a platform.

I don't have much to add to what you guys have said, though.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Do Wings of Icarus push people who try to come up at you from under a platform?

I suppose, as always, I'd use DAir to keep people out from under me. I think you could also glide to the sides, and come back in a recovery situation. (Against some characters, guarding from on top of BF's platforms seems worse than even that.)

Everyone sucks on top of platforms. Platforms create one of Ganon's stage-dependent 0-100 matchups. What can Pit and only Pit do to negotiate his way back down?

He's got jumps. He can fast fall. A BAir, I think, can cover himself if it must.

.... maybe you can instant aerial WoI, but not cancel it until you've hovered off the platform, then use an Fair or Nair (autocancelled?). It could mix up the timing by removing the need for the jump, and it would let you fall off a platform with your back.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I like getting input from non-Pit mains because it helps us to think outside the box sometimes. :bigthumbu We could do the initial input for a wingdash (jump>WOI) to produce the gust to push away potential incoming attacks and slide off quick enough to still be able to finish the wingdash input with a d-air to the ground and have enough time for a quick dtilt against an opponent who is hoping to capitalize on the landing lag that actually doesn't exist after a wingdash :chuckle:. what do you guys think?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
In my experience, i never had anyone jump to get to Pit if he's on a platform on BF. Most often then not they will just get below you and Usmash (if theirs can reach that high). People also tend to Utilt or even SH aerial just high enough to reach Pit but still stay out of most dangers Pit can present.

If Pit is at the top platform, he is pretty safe, there doesn't seem too much to be worried about that he cant react to if they make a move. However, if Pit makes a wrong move, like charging an arrow hes wide open. Course this may not be true against characters with multi jumps, who can fake Pit out and then capitalize on a bad spot dodge or shield by poking from below the platform.

In my opinion, the best option is usually just to get off of the platform asap.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
Moving platforms on Smashvile are good for a quick escape to fire some arrows but standing plats feel like a bad place to be.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Yes ryos but if they ran up with the intention of doing any of those things, you could do what I previously mentioned to 1. push them away. and 2. get off the platform with zero landing lag so you can easily 3. punish them for trying to hit you. Edit: actually it looks like he posted without reading my post. Nevertheless, it should still work.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
In my opinion
That sounds really overly complex for just trying to avoid an attack. It may work a few times but its definitely not something you want to always do. Wing dashing was one of those "advance" techs that Pit players got stuck using at the wrong time and/or for wrong reason. Course there's no point in getting into the argument of basics vs flashy.

Anyway, the initial WoI could be useful. If i remember correctly, there are some invincibility frames in start up. And there are also times when WoI and the attack cancel each other out without anyone taking damage. But that really just resets the standing putting Pit in the same position.

If the WoI manages to push them a safe distance away, it just seems like falling through the platform into a Dair is a better idea. Or if the spacing is correct, Fair/Bair. I cant really imagine anyone being slow enough to allow Pit to Wing dash, get off the platform to the stage, and then attacking. Course this is just assuming they are safely below the platform when everything begins.

Though for all i know it may work. Try it out and post some vids of it. Preferably during matches.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
It does sound a little complex. But istead of trying to WingDash, why don't you just jump off the platform, us WOI to stall your fall. Then hopefully by then the opponent would have already made his move and you can just Fair or Bair cancel. I've seen a lot of Pit players us WOI to stall their fall and make people use a Usmash, then Pit just uses ane of his aerials. I don't know if I'm making sense, though.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
yeah I understand what you're saying about stalling in the air and then using an aerial but if you guys think that this is complex you should try doing some of diddy's AT. Did I mention that I used to main Diddy? This is nothing =p

Top Bottom