• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with getting mad?

pbrake

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else have this issue and do you know how to deal with it well? I can't really play with my bro without yelling at him and throwing my controller now. I really want to prepare for my next tournament but right now, it's impossible to do if my training partner doesn't want to play with me. I hate myself for doing this and I just need a way to relieve stress and make melee fun again. Sorry for the sappy **** I just miss coming to it and being like "wow wave dashing is cool, good job bro you used it right right there" to "wow nice wavedash you ******, I bet you really meant to do that". I'm getting tired of disrespecting the people around me. I even try to watch myself but sometimes my mind just gets too ****ing ahead of itself and I say **** I end up regretting.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
I usually take a breather and walk around, but you might need some therapy.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
It's...just...a...game.

If you can't help getting mad, maybe you should take a break from it and come back when you're ready to have fun again.

Does anyone else have this issue and do you know how to deal with it well? I can't really play with my bro without yelling at him and throwing my controller now.

I really want to prepare for my next tournament but right now, it's impossible to do if my training partner doesn't want to play with me. I hate myself for doing this and I just need a way to relieve stress and make melee fun again. Sorry for the sappy **** I just miss coming to it and being like "wow wave dashing is cool, good job bro you used it right right there" to "wow nice wavedash you ******, I bet you really meant to do that". I'm getting tired of disrespecting the people around me. I even try to watch myself but sometimes my mind just gets too ****ing ahead of itself and I say **** I end up regretting.
I would try to see if you can isolate what is causing you to get upset and focus on that.

Here is the best example of what got me very frustrated. Early on when I started I very much wanted to try reaching the level of those around me and got annoyed when I missed up. Not usually to the point of shouting at someone, but to the point where I might physical hit myself in the head or something.

Anyway, the solution I found to this was to simply not care. I will try to get good and however long it takes it takes. I would try to remove my expectations of trying to always be perfect and instead focus on trying to play the game. If I messed up, I tried not to think about the mess-up and instead focus on how to mitigate the mess-up by trying to DI a hit that was going to be coming my way or try to get the **** out of the way if I like missed an l-cancel or something.

I have no idea what is causing you to get pissed off, but try to find out what it is and redirect your focus away from it. Hopefully, something constructive like that mistake example I mentioned about.

pbrake

Smash Rookie
I would try to see if you can isolate what is causing you to get upset and focus on that.

Here is the best example of what got me very frustrated. Early on when I started I very much wanted to try reaching the level of those around me and got annoyed when I missed up. Not usually to the point of shouting at someone, but to the point where I might physical hit myself in the head or something.

Anyway, the solution I found to this was to simply not care. I will try to get good and however long it takes it takes. I would try to remove my expectations of trying to always be perfect and instead focus on trying to play the game. If I messed up, I tried not to think about the mess-up and instead focus on how to mitigate the mess-up by trying to DI a hit that was going to be coming my way or try to get the **** out of the way if I like missed an l-cancel or something.

I have no idea what is causing you to get pissed off, but try to find out what it is and redirect your focus away from it. Hopefully, something constructive like that mistake example I mentioned about.
Thanks, I think my main problem is getting mad at myself, not my brother, so I think I will just try and stop taking my game play too seriously in the way that I know I can't play perfectly, but also need to get good too.

SuperCoolSideAccount

Smash Rookie
You might want to talk to someone.
I'm not saying that you have a problem or anything, don't take it the wrong way. However I have OCD and often find myself becoming easily agitated when I'm in a bad move. I focus on my negatives and obsess over them until they begin to make me very depressed.

I feel talking to people has helped me getter grasp on my situation, I've also begun a kind of therapy so maybe you could find a similar solution.

Thanks, I think my main problem is getting mad at myself, not my brother, so I think I will just try and stop taking my game play too seriously in the way that I know I can't play perfectly, but also need to get good too.
Obviously, that is the real goal is to have fun and get better. Though you need to realize that it does take a long time. Months actually. You can cover quite a bit of territory in a several weeks, but overall it is a slow progress. Plus, I think you already know that getting up set over you failure is starting to affect you possibly not even having someone to practice with against at all.

I dunno. Perhaps being aware of those things will keep it easier for you keep your cool. Along with the fact that if you can focus more on knowing how to deal with the mistakes than the fact one actually occurred you can get better more quickly. As in you notice when you make a mistake and can focus on trying to fix that over other things you might try practicing.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Just play the game. It is what it is after all.

I understand you are (too?) competitive, and want to be perfect. But for now and your brother's sake just see it as practice. I mean that is what it is right? Nothing is really on the line here. Just just two players working and the craft y'know? I mean in a way that's what every match is to some point, regardless of who your up against. Its all about your perception of the thing, and just as importantly, improving. Try to avoided getting emotional and when you lose or especially mid-match if you mess up. just keep clear mind* and say 'damn, oh well next time.'

image.jpg <--Kinda lazy of me (and a tad overdramatic xD) but it helped me out when i had this problem xD
except I didn't have anyone to get pissed off at... ;-;

glhf~
sorry for grammer mistakes

Last edited:

pbrake

Smash Rookie
Thanks to everyone, even the troll man, for the help. I should probably see someone but at this point I don't know what really makes me tick. I think I'm gonna take a break from Melee for a bit, focus on different things, come back, and try my hardest to not get mad at people or myself for my mistakes.

pbrake

Smash Rookie
I just laugh when I get bodied. Gotta have fun
When I'm playing other people besides my brother it's all fun, but when playing him I take everything too seriously. Just yesterday at my first tournament I was playing a falcon who double uaired to knee on me and I was laughing and having a great time. I learned from that and I think that once I start playing other people more I will get even better but for now I need to focus on having fun with the person I play the most.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Listen to music. Finding a good balance such that it helps to focus and keep you calm can be hard, though since in many cases they're conflicting. Forgiveness by Made in Heights is usually what I use.

Instead of trying to calm down after getting mad (which you should still do if it can't be avoided), removing any negative mindset before you get mad in the first place can be really good. It's hard to do this sincerely all the time, but if you can get used to just "accepting" dumb things that happen to you as par for the course, you won't get upset. Avoid letting it make you feel bad, but the healthier way to deal with salt when losing is to criticize yourself instead of the opponent. Either they're outplaying you in skill, or abusing some tactic you're having a hard time against. Whether that tactic is respectable or not, whether or not you feel that you're being made a fool of in front of others, or you think they're going to be all Mr. Know-it-all if they win, just ignore that. They're winning because you haven't adapted to it, and regardless of the circumstances, that's on you for not overcoming it. Getting mad/salty will only cloud your thought process up, so you're less likely to come up with a solution. So instead, just let it pass without showing any emotion (for them to feed off of, if you think they normally do), and so you'll be in a better position to maintain your better play and adapt.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Last night I had the best sheik in my region down to one stock and kill% both games and still got 2-0'd because I whiffed the easy follow ups after chaingrabbing him 0-70ish. The last 3 tournaments I've had to play the same guy in round 3 of winners bracket. It can be frustrating playing against sheik as Ganon but you have to look at it as a challenge. If you're new, you're not going to realize all mistakes you're making, which can be frustrating in itself. You need to record matches, post them, and ask other players for feedback. You can't start chipping away at your weaknesses until you've truly pinpointed them. As the depth of your understanding of the game increases I think you'll be frustrated less. Realize that everyone on earth gets bodied and play to learn. You'll get better WHILE having fun. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom