• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with being overwhelmed?

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
What does that mean? Let's say you pick your main or your best character and then you play at the highest level you can and you are three stocked in nothing flat. For me it's horrible feeling and very deflating. I have a strong mind and can handle defeat, but sometimes it really gets to me. This is even more prevalent in four player smash online, when you open an arena and run into that one player who dominates everyone and refuses to give up his or her spot and I'm like "dude, we get you're the best there is so there is no need to keep rubbing it in our faces". So I just want to know, how do you deal with a situation like that. And please, let's try to keep it clean and respectful.

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
It's times like those where I really question why I play Smash Ultimate online. You could just try to play through it, but I just find that when I get disheartened like that I don't play at my best; I make dumb plays, I react more slowly, and I don't try to adapt to my opponent. So, when it gets to that point, I don't learn anything and each defeat just feeds into the next.

There's a couple things I do. First, if I'm really not having any success, I'll switch characters. First, I'll try my secondaries, then, if that doesn't work, I'll move on to characters I'd like to learn with, but haven't used all that much (a tertiary for lack of a better word). Then, I might just try a random character that I have no expectations with. However, to be honest, if I truly am disheartened it is sometimes better just to move on to a different game for a bit and come back to Smash when I get the itch to play again. That might be a day or even a week, but I find it easier to pick up the game again when I can come back refreshed.

It's also important to take some time in training mode to practice. Things won't improve for you unless you can master skills you currently lack or combos you can't do. Let's face it, if someone is dominating you, they've likely put in the time.

As for 4-player FFAs, that can be a crapshoot at the best of times, so I wouldn't get too disheartened for losing. That's a prime situation where I'd just set my character to random and try to play casually. However, I'm not sure you can reasonably expect someone who is winning to give up their spot. Sure, it might be honourable to give up your spot if you're constantly winning, but there's no rule, unwritten or otherwise, that requires players to do that. Now, if they are engaging in unsportsmanlike behaviour or are really laggy, I might kick them just to keep my arena active, I would never kick just because someone is winning too much.

Actually what really frustrates me in those FFAs where someone is winning constantly is not them, it's everyone else. For some reason the other players never seem to think "hey, that guy is winning all the time, so maybe if I work with my other opponents, I'll have a better shot at winning." Instead they just lash out at anything nearby without any thought of strategy.

Oddball

Smash Lord
When it stops being fun, I stop laying it. Give it a rest and come back to it later.

Top Bottom