• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you combo Upthrow to Thunder?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I can sometimes combo it but I have a friend that plays Yoshi that always DI away, and at higher % itthrpws them to high, I just upthrow then thunder, could someone explain how to do this right?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's never guaranteed. If your opponent expects it, try something else.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
True combos aren't true combos if people can escape from it.

Still, if you manage to Up-throw someone, you're already at a positional advantage, so you can bait airdodges to combo with U-air, and other stuff like that instead.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
There's discussion in one of the other threads about the correct way to chase the DI for the combo.
- Up-throw
- Walk below where they DI'd
- Thunder
I don't think that Uthrow-Walk-Thunder will true combo. In the discussion thread, they were talking about using a moment-cancelled dash-jump thunder... thing. Walking is too slow to reach max DI.

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, it seems that you can combo up throw into thunder even if your opponent DI's. Here's a very quick video I made showing that.

Credit should go to L Lomogoto , who made a thread showing that this was possible. All I did was test it further and create this video

If you make the correct guess they cannot get out using this tech

Another video:
https://youtu.be/07oGFvdaEVA

The turn around input must be made durring the jumpsquat (not before like the first video says) fyi

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
First trick to combo uthrow to thunder is to do it fast and hope the opponent doesn't react fast enough to DI. Next is to evaluate their DI if they do. Do they DI right or left in general? Now comes the mix up game.

At a slightly later percent than the usual uthrow thunder combo (about 10% later), dthrow-->thunder true combos if the opponent DI's toward you. It is a very powerful mix up, and I believe the dthrow mix up is the a great help in letting pikachu sealing away kills consistently.

At higher percents, the hit stun on down throw percent lasts a little bit longer, so dthrow-->thunder will true-combo if the opponent does not DI AND if the opponent DI's in (it covers both options). But you must run forward into thunder to combo if they don't DI.

At even higher percents (120-140 in general, varies with characters) uthrow--> thunder works as seen in the video above.

Keeping the mix up game fresh and getting the read is the key to catching these combos. This is how Esam manages to do it so often and make it look so easy.

Top Bottom