• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you beat a Pit spammer?

ishoy

Smash Rookie
My friend uses pit and spams side-b and side-a

How do I beat that?

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Turn it into an aerial battle, come at him from above or get him in the air so he's forced to do other attacks.

steviep

Smash Rookie
My friend uses pit and spams side-b and side-a

How do I beat that?
wow i have the exact same problem [more side smash though]. my main is lucas and i usually just try to keep him as far as possible, and jump away when he comes close. i also try attacking him from behind by rolling or jumping since those moves take a while before they stop

today i tried out pit for the first time against him and spammed his brains out :laugh:
i won like every game heh

Verdugo

Smash Rookie
Try doing a short-hopped air dodge to get behind him, or just anticipate and do a regular dodge. both of those moves have a lot of lag if he misses, so take advantage of that.

Esca

Smash Champion
If there's a Pit and he spams you with side-b, he's a loser, and probably doesn't know how to play with him very well...

Corigames

Smash Hero
What happened to people asking how to fight someone in their own character's threads? Different matchups call for different strategies, and I don't know exactly what YOU do to stop ME. I kinda want to beat you :p

Giving up info to outsiders doesn't seem right.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Use Pit and show him that you're the better Pit.

If he spams Arrows, try using the mirror shield or Side+B to reflect it. If he does that Side+B spam, get behind him, and punish him. You can use the mirror shield to act like Mario's cape: It makes the opponent turn the other way. This will happen when the opponent hits you when the shield shines.
I recommend using Pit or any other character with a reflector to counter arrows. As for Side+B, just get behind him. Turning it to an air battle can help turn the tide depending on who you are.
That reminds me, which characters do you use?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who is spamming the side-B deserves to be punished, not only for mis-using that move, but also because the lag of the move after it's execution demands it. As others here have mentioned, roll around the attack to get to his back and punish him while he's still trying to recover from the move.

...also, I'm not sure if this works (because I'm usually the one playing Pit), but does the Angel ring have a hit box that you could strike your friend through? Depending on your character, a simple short hop backwards to avoid the attack and a big ole sword slice at him should do the trick as well, wouldn't it?

, if that's not the case, just evade and attack, it's really what most of fighting against a Pit player is, dodging his arrow spam and other tactics to get in close enough to do damage.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
What happened to people asking how to fight someone in their own character's threads? Different matchups call for different strategies, and I don't know exactly what YOU do to stop ME. I kinda want to beat you :p

Giving up info to outsiders doesn't seem right.
The fact that you consider anyone who doesn't play Pit to be an "outsider" in these forums makes me sad. What better place to learn how to fight against Pit, then to those who know the character best. Those people who main Pit should know his inherent strengths and weaknesses and therefore are the perfect reference for such a question.

...anyone who is unwilling to assist their enemy and "reveal their secrets" in Brawl, is doing less for the Pit community then someone who reveals all of Pit's secrets, allows people to counter them, and in return forces us to grow and evolve in our play styles to come out on top again.

That is after all the very point of these forums on a whole, is it not?

(Knowing who he played as normally would help us answer him better however.)

ishoy

Smash Rookie
Use Pit and show him that you're the better Pit.

If he spams Arrows, try using the mirror shield or Side+B to reflect it. If he does that Side+B spam, get behind him, and punish him. You can use the mirror shield to act like Mario's cape: It makes the opponent turn the other way. This will happen when the opponent hits you when the shield shines.
I recommend using Pit or any other character with a reflector to counter arrows. As for Side+B, just get behind him. Turning it to an air battle can help turn the tide depending on who you are.
That reminds me, which characters do you use?

I like Toon Link, Marth, and Pokemon Trainer

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I find that my Pit has the most trouble versus players who are able to utilize varying heights in their air approach, as well as good at using air-dodges and ground-dodges.

I'm honestly don't believe that everybody means the same thing when they say "Pit spammer", but to avoid the juggling and arrows, really requires superior spacing and good use of the dodges. While the arrows can travel almost anywhere with a jumping Arrow-Pit, many of his ground moves are deceptively low in range, except maybe the dash-A.

With a character with projectiles, I'd actually recommend using fewer projectiles than normal, simply because Pit-Arrows travel so much faster and will stun you often before you can shoot it out. Remember that Pit's individual jumps aren't that high, and relatively slow compared to the faster and jumpier characters like ROB.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The fact that you consider anyone who doesn't play Pit to be an "outsider" in these forums makes me sad. What better place to learn how to fight against Pit, then to those who know the character best. Those people who main Pit should know his inherent strengths and weaknesses and therefore are the perfect reference for such a question.

...anyone who is unwilling to assist their enemy and "reveal their secrets" in Brawl, is doing less for the Pit community then someone who reveals all of Pit's secrets, allows people to counter them, and in return forces us to grow and evolve in our play styles to come out on top again.

Have some pride in your character.

Did I say I wouldn't tell you guys my secrets? No. But I did say I'm not going to go, "Here, this is how you destroy me, have fun. I hope to run into you at a tournament soon. BTW, how do I beat you? ****, why are we even playing the game? Let's just act it out in our minds!"

We discuss how to make pit better here, not how to teach people to beat me. That's just dumb in my opinion.

So yes, I will continue to shun the non-Pit-believer.

caster.blaster

Smash Rookie
You guys are getting off topic.

Hmm... If you use Toon Link use your ranged attacks. If he tries to use over-b or down-b against your projectiles, evade then rush. These moves are good, but if he panics and stops shielding/spinning you can easily dodge an attack and attack with your a-combo and follow up with more ranged attacks or a dash attack.

With Marth, you should try to dodge his arrows, and rush him. Your hand to hand (or sword to sword) attacks are better and as long as you keep the pressure on, you can stay just out of his range and attack, but be wary for his over-b.

With Pokemon trainer... pretty much the same, keep the pressure and side-step or roll dodge out of is attacks then follow up.

So, in summary keep the pressure but, be weary of his attacks.

caster.blaster

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you press shield smash down. You dodge in place and if they are using a laggy attack, you can probably get in your a combo or even an f-tilt if u want.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
wow i have the exact same problem [more side smash though]. my main is lucas and i usually just try to keep him as far as possible, and jump away when he comes close. i also try attacking him from behind by rolling or jumping since those moves take a while before they stop

today i tried out pit for the first time against him and spammed his brains out :laugh:
i won like every game heh
Just thought I make a specific reply to your comment, an option you may have is to wave-bounce Lucas's side B. Hitting Pit with your PK Fire and getting some distance between you and your opponent.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
what that corey dude said sounds to me like he is basically saying that spamming side b and side a is his only strategy and that giving away the info needed to beat THAT STRATEGY (not the character in general) will destroy him in a tourney. that just makes you wack. have fun getting wasted by the ppl who learn how to beat pit spammers and in turn learn to beat your only strategy

Corigames

Smash Hero
what that corey dude said sounds to me like he is basically saying that spamming side b and side a is his only strategy and that giving away the info needed to beat THAT STRATEGY (not the character in general) will destroy him in a tourney.
Was that an example or something?

Anyway, all I'm getting to is that I don't want people to know the way around what I'm doing. If I'm winning and they can't figure a way around it on their own, then that allows me to be better, because I, I, thought of a way to get around them. Telling them how to beat me puts me at a disadvantage then.

Magicians don't tell how their tricks work, why should I tell people how mine do?

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
what ever it takes to avoid that first B-over attack. Dodgeing is hard unless it's rolling away from the attack, projectiles get reflected, so yea as said air is your answer. I personally enjoy Kirby's B+Down as an answer to someone sititng there doing that. XD It's rare to pull off though so a simple jump and back air or spike works for me.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Magicians don't tell how their tricks work, why should I tell people how mine do?
...because that's how the community grows and develops beyond it's infancy. If everyone on the forums thought as you did, these forums would not exist, because everyone would be keeping their tricks to themselves and everything would take longer to figure out. Imagine if the person who had discovered wave dashing never shared the idea, and every time he would use the technique in a tourney, he would cover his hands with a towel and never tell anyone what he was doing. How lame would that be?

,winning is one thing...but winning because you have a trick up your sleeve that no one else knows about and then refusing to tell others denotes one thing...fear. If you have to depend on your 'tricks' to win you a match, you aren't proving anything. But if you teach someone all of your tricks and then you STILL beat them, you are proving EVERYTHING.

Forcing people to change and adapt is what makes new and better technique founds anyways.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
You could, you know. NOT play on Final Destination? Maybe? That will probably change a lot.

MeHo

Smash Cadet
Just Smash DI.

Smash DI :

When you take a hit, there are frames of hitlags where you're frozen and stay in place before being sent flying. The number of hitlag frames varies between 2-3 up to around 18 with Samus's Fully Charged Shot, or burner hits in BtT stages.

During those frame, you can move around using Smash DI.
If you smash the Control Stick in one direction, your character will move instantly in that direction. It doesn't go very far, but it can still save your life sometimes.

If the hit is techable, Smash DI can be used to move yourself into a wall or a ceiling and you'll be able to tech. If you miss the tech, you might bounce on the wall/ceiling
However Smash DIing into the ground can't make you tech (it would clearly be broken)

Corigames

Smash Hero
...because that's how the community grows and develops beyond it's infancy. If everyone on the forums thought as you did, these forums would not exist, because everyone would be keeping their tricks to themselves and everything would take longer to figure out. Imagine if the person who had discovered wave dashing never shared the idea, and every time he would use the technique in a tourney, he would cover his hands with a towel and never tell anyone what he was doing. How lame would that be?

,winning is one thing...but winning because you have a trick up your sleeve that no one else knows about and then refusing to tell others denotes one thing...fear. If you have to depend on your 'tricks' to win you a match, you aren't proving anything. But if you teach someone all of your tricks and then you STILL beat them, you are proving EVERYTHING.

Forcing people to change and adapt is what makes new and better technique founds anyways.
Awww... it seems that you are just trying to flame me now by saying that I rely on cheap tricks, I'm scared, and am trying to keep Brawl in it's infancy.

You know what the hard part about keeping things secret is... that means you can't play in a tournament! You aren't allowed to play with a towel over your hand while doing things no one knew existed, they would have to know if you are cheating or not. After you did, waves of people would go out from the tournament and tell everyone. Secret =/= kept. So, even if I had "tricks," they wouldn't be as such after using them on people. It's more of a one time use thing, and, after that, it's revealed. Wow, I'm such a criminal.

If I'm doing something neat, and I found it out all by myself, am I legally bound to tell this board all about it? Hell no. I can keep it to myself all I want. Does this keep it out of the hands of other pit users? Yes, for a time. There is only one reason though that I would even search or rely on such tactics though, and that is to implement them! So when I do, other Pit's can pick them up and use them. Does this make me a bad guy? Well, I can't dictate your thoughts, but if you had a Royal flush in your hand, would you throw it on the table before rasing the bet? I doubt it. (Cheesey/corny analogy I know, but deal with it)

So how about I go through the whole pit boards, and I'll look at all the AT's found so far about him and post anything that I find that can help it. Will this help? Would that satisfy you?

I hope so, because that means I may have just given up a few rounds at my next tournament. Play to win when you have money on the line. For me, this extends to even when I'm not in the game.

Looper

Smash Journeyman

everyone do yourself a favor and read this

Top Bottom