• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you avoid getting Juggled by Marth ?

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Don't take my word for it, but mixing up DI can help stop uairs or up tilts. With Falco, space with lasers at a safe distance to punish counter if they don't like to powershield, and use tricky platform movement to get in, but maybe I haven't played a very good marth yet, but this is how I handle the situation.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Don't take my word for it, but mixing up DI can help stop uairs or up tilts. With Falco, space with lasers at a safe distance to punish counter if they don't like to powershield, and use tricky platform movement to get in, but maybe I haven't played a very good marth yet, but this is how I handle the situation.
Thanks for the tip. There is a really good Marth in my scene where we play in our Highschool. I can't quite seem to get out of it. He is too good at reading my DI

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tip. There is a really good Marth in my scene where we play in our Highschool. I can't quite seem to get out of it. He is too good at reading my DI
Against marth, I'm always very careful to mix up my DI and techs, because one grab, up tilt, fair, or uair can lead to death. And one thing I definitely do against marth with falco that's underrated is dtilt, as it can kill early, and can lead to dair for combos, and shield stabs more than dair does in my experience.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
One thing that might help also is ASDI. Just hold the C-stick whatever way you want, even if it's not the same direction you're hard Diing. Little things like ASDI or flat-out SDI can help a ton.

Unknowns

Smash Rookie
I''m not sure how much it'll help, but I set up an account just to reply. I also recently started maining Falco ('bout half a year) and I had the exact same problem with a marth in my area. How I get out of it is by noticing when they're starting to read my DI, and then refusing to listen do my gut and DIing in the opposite direction. It almost always gets me out.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I''m not sure how much it'll help, but I set up an account just to reply. I also recently started maining Falco ('bout half a year) and I had the exact same problem with a marth in my area. How I get out of it is by noticing when they're starting to read my DI, and then refusing to listen do my gut and DIing in the opposite direction. It almost always gets me out.
1.) Welcome to smashboards!
2.) You've actually been playing Falco longer than me, but we've been playing competitively the same amount of time. Good luck.

Shahndo

Smash Rookie
To avoid the juggle: Spam the s*** out of lasers but at the right time. Marth's hurtbox has less height when he does his dashtack so he can use that as a way to get in. If you see the Marth shielding hella to block your lasers, approach and go in for the grab or shinegrab

How to get out of the juggle: So I used to have the exact same problem with getting juggled by a Marth able to read my DI like it was a magic treehouse book. Keep mind of how you DI'd the time prior and make sure to mixup. Sometimes people forget about the no DI mixup and only DI away left and right, but no DI can be effective as well.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
If a Marth is good enough, it's very tricky to avoid being juggled by him. That being said SDI really helps to escape because if you SDI well enough and mix up decently well, you can make the followups more awkward for him. If you can, try to force Marth to do soft Uairs because they are harder to combo out of, however soft Uair is usually followed up Fsmash. Also pay a lot of attention to what the marth is doing because Marth in in general DI traps spacies really hard.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
If a Marth is good enough, it's very tricky to avoid being juggled by him. That being said SDI really helps to escape because if you SDI well enough and mix up decently well, you can make the followups more awkward for him. If you can, try to force Marth to do soft Uairs because they are harder to combo out of, however soft Uair is usually followed up Fsmash. Also pay a lot of attention to what the marth is doing because Marth in in general DI traps spacies really hard.
I have gotten better at avoiding the finishing fsmash so that's an improvement

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Aside from mixing up your DI and SDI you can revise your tech options, especially regarding platforms as that's where Marth will get most of his juggling opportunities.

You'll often see players thrown on to platforms tech-chase towards centre-stage out of fear, even if it's the only option the Marth can cover.

I would also suggest picturing yourself on a platform and what options you have to get yourself down (if you choose to) while the Marth has centre-stage.
This is a crucial aspect of the X vs. Marth match-up that many players overlook, and it is a situation that you will find yourself in very often where the Marth has an advantage.

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
DI to land on the nearest platform. Watch the marth below you and react where you should tech. If he's short hopping under one side of the platform, tech to the other side. If he's still grounded, like during his dash/wavedash, tech in place (it is fastest) and jump ASAP.

If you find yourself on a platform with marth below you, shield his u-tilt/u-air : be sure to angle your shield down, with a little practice, marth will NEVER be able to shield-poke you on platforms. If you're on the center of platform : jump OoS ASAP. If you're on the edge of the platform, the hit will push you off the platform : you should fall with an immediate b-air if you think it'll catch him.

Don't let the marth put the fear in your heart. Let him swing in the air, and punish him for it ! Then and only then things get ineresting for you !

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Adding onto what Klemes Klemes said, don't always get discouraged if he's juggling you with uair. If they play really intelligently like PPMD, there's always the chance that they'll do the SH possibly late uair to cover the entire platform upon tech to just safely cover ALL of your options.

Top Bottom