• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do We Petition to Nintendo to FIX THE ONLINE OPTIONS

Itsbalde

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
The online work is so half ass its drives me nuts. We need to push back. We are paying for online now. I guarantee WE ALL BOUGHT THE ONLINE PASS SOLELY FOR SMASH.

WangJiLin

Smash Rookie
What in particular are you frustrated by? The only complaints I've had is that:
1. I can't figure out how to change the rules mid-arena battle. It seems like you need to create a new arena to change the rules
2. You can't transfer the arena to a new host if you want to leave but everyone wants to keep playing

Otherwise Im quite liking it. Not overwhelmed by options, fairly sick, and minus a few lag issues its been a really enjoyable experience.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
What in particular are you frustrated by? The only complaints I've had is that:
1. I can't figure out how to change the rules mid-arena battle. It seems like you need to create a new arena to change the rules
2. You can't transfer the arena to a new host if you want to leave but everyone wants to keep playing

Otherwise Im quite liking it. Not overwhelmed by options, fairly sick, and minus a few lag issues its been a really enjoyable experience.
The two major problems is no stage select or character select after matches. How are u not annoyed by this?

WangJiLin

Smash Rookie
In Arenas I find the lack of flexibility an issue because I may be in there for a long session, but for general Solo online battles I like the random element with stages. Then again I am still feeling my way through the game. Maybe once I become more settled with the game, and I have stages I want to avoid it will become more of an issue. But at the the moment Im just enjoying the party element.

invega

Smash Rookie
arena is completly bull****. so many and long laoding scrren and waiting time. why no quickplay with your friends online!?

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I don't get why they didn't do the arena in the same way they did the arms arena. Everyone kinda floating around in a bubble and people getting paired up randomly to battle. At the very least, that should've been an option.

As for Randoms. I hate how you cant swap characters when you rematch. The stagest less so though I still don't like it. I figured the online would be a train wreck though. Playing with friends is probably gonna be the go to for alot of people until this mess gets sorted out, if it does.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why they didn't do the arena in the same way they did the arms arena. Everyone kinda floating around in a bubble and people getting paired up randomly to battle. At the very least, that should've been an option.
It's a different development team, and they didn't want to ask for help from another team. Literally every dev team ever should glean from one another when they step into territory they have "trouble" with, but you can't notice you're having trouble if everybody thinks that they're doing a fine job without noticing the glaring issues that happen. They should have triple checked and had people play test the online features (if they did then the tests weren't extensive enough.

The online work is so half *** its drives me nuts. We need to push back. We are paying for online now. I guarantee WE ALL BOUGHT THE ONLINE PASS SOLELY FOR SMASH.
I wouldn't call it "halfassed" per say. Like I mentioned above, a dev team is in a bubble of sorts and only have their peers to glean from. Folks rarely ask for "help" from other teams for these things. Basically everybody was working, they made it, and tested it, and it worked how they thought it should, but nobody did any extensive tests. Their play-testers dropped the ball by not extensively playing the online features to notice all the glaring flaws in it.

Pushing back and letting them know about these issues is indeed important. Thank goodness we live in a time where it is easier to let your collective voices be heard. It's entirely possible and should be done. The game is so streamlined and the online seems fine on the surface, but once you actually dive in, it's shallow and needs big improvements.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
It's a different development team, and they didn't want to ask for help from another team. Literally every dev team ever should glean from one another when they step into territory they have "trouble" with, but you can't notice you're having trouble if everybody thinks that they're doing a fine job without noticing the glaring issues that happen. They should have triple checked and had people play test the online features (if they did then the tests weren't extensive enough.

I wouldn't call it "halfassed" per say. Like I mentioned above, a dev team is in a bubble of sorts and only have their peers to glean from. Folks rarely ask for "help" from other teams for these things. Basically everybody was working, they made it, and tested it, and it worked how they thought it should, but nobody did any extensive tests. Their play-testers dropped the ball by not extensively playing the online features to notice all the glaring flaws in it.

Pushing back and letting them know about these issues is indeed important. Thank goodness we live in a time where it is easier to let your collective voices be heard. It's entirely possible and should be done. The game is so streamlined and the online seems fine on the surface, but once you actually dive in, it's shallow and needs big improvements.
I don't think that "lack of help" is a thing, it more like design decisions. If they can create a system with an arena, expectators, all the priority matches that the game chooses for you after you selected your preffered rules, they can do a simple search for a random game with your friend on the game mode you selected without the need for entering an arena. Or at least the arena can have more options.

I remember this problem since MARIO KART 8, that still happens in MK8 Deluxe. In MK8, you can only play with a friend online if you create a tournament, the problem is that it usually means you will always play alone, cause no one look for tournaments, and if you wanna play with a friend, instead of the game just pair you two and join a random match, it just leaves you playing your sad tournament against BOTS. It's this way until today. Seriously, I was never able to play properly with a friend since the release date of MK8 Deluxe, and I already gave up. And I'm paying for the better online service now.

If they kept Mario Kart 8 online system the same way after the release of Deluxe, never changed it, and now they released Smash, probably their bigger online title the Switch will have (from Nintendo), with the same stupid thing, I dont have any faith this will ever be implemented.

Last edited:

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that "lack of help" is a thing. It's the design philosophy of creating an arena that is already wrong. If they can create a system with an arena, expectators, all the priority matches that the game chooses for you after you selected your preffered rules, they can do a simple search for a random game with your friend on the game mode you selected without the need for entering an arena. Or at least the arena can have more options.

I remember this problem since MARIO KART 8, that still happens in MK8 Deluxe. In MK8, you can only play with a friend online if you create a tournament, the problem is that it usually means you will always play alone, cause no one look for tournaments, and if you wanna play with a friend, instead of the game just pair you two and join a random match, it just leaves you playing your sad tournament against BOTS. It's this way until today. Seriously, I was never able to play properly with a friend since the release date of MK8 Deluxe, and I already gave up. And I'm paying for the better online service now.

If they kept Mario Kart 8 online system the same way after the release of Deluxe, never changed it, and now they released Smash, probably their bigger online title the Switch will have (from Nintendo), with the same stupid thing, I dont have any faith this will ever be implemented.
Lack of "help" is entirely a thing. Testing within a team where everybody thinks things work the way they intended them to work without having play-testers test them extensively enough to see if there are any issues, is indeed why these things have so many issues that go under the radar. I'm not talking about general matchmaking, I'm talking about arenas rules and being able to alter them, or change the stages or even simply swapping characters. If they literally tried to change any one thing in the rules within the arena just once, they would Instantly see the glaring flaws of their own system. It's obvious that nobody thought to do anything past play a few matches in the arena under their own settings, or else we wouldn't have the issues with arena that we see now.

If another team for a different game can make their online work, why don't people glean from other teams? Asking for "help"/ assistance/ blatantly ripping off what is already tried and successful was and is always entirely on the table. They didn't do enough research and they didn't test enough.

If People actually rally for change, they will at least see that they goofed up and make a public announcement about it. Changing the online features and working on them more is still entirely possible. This is the digital age we live in. Nothing is permanent. Not enough people complained/ rallied together to make the issues with Mario Kart 8's online system. Did they even acknowledge the issues? I don't remember.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Lack of "help" is entirely a thing. Testing within a team where everybody thinks things work the way they intended them to work without having play-testers test them extensively enough to see if there are any issues, is indeed why these things have so many issues that go under the radar. I'm not talking about general matchmaking, I'm talking about arenas rules and being able to alter them, or change the stages or even simply swapping characters. If they literally tried to change any one thing in the rules within the arena just once, they would Instantly see the glaring flaws of their own system. It's obvious that nobody thought to do anything past play a few matches in the arena under their own settings, or else we wouldn't have the issues with arena that we see now.

If another team for a different game can make their online work, why don't people glean from other teams? Asking for "help"/ assistance/ blatantly ripping off what is already tried and successful was and is always entirely on the table. They didn't do enough research and they didn't test enough.

If People actually rally for change, they will at least see that they goofed up and make a public announcement about it. Changing the online features and working on them more is still entirely possible. This is the digital age we live in. Nothing is permanent. Not enough people complained/ rallied together to make the issues with Mario Kart 8's online system. Did they even acknowledge the issues? I don't remember.
I understand, I'm saying that I dont believe that the online doesnt work because they had problems with it, I'm saying that most of the problems are design decisions, like not allowing two friends to find a quickgame. They can do it if they build an arena, but not other way, and an arena is far more hard to implement than a quick search without even an interface, so, they just choosed it to be this way for some stupid reason. It's the decisions on how to make people enjoy the online that are wrong (mostly), things about interface like not allowing to change the character or stage, this is not a thing that requires help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom