• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do people normally defend this common combo?

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
I play with my friends alot, but they normally cant counter a good combo. Im going to a tournament somtime this month and I need to know what to expect when doing this or variations of this combo: SHL->Dash attack->U tilt->shine->shine combo. ofcourse you can change the dash attack with a waveshine or a wave dash->Utilt etc. there are alot of things you can do to change this combo, i just want to know what to expect when someone will try to break the combo, thanks.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I'm not exactly sure, as I have very limited competetive play, but one way to fight against their anti-combo measures is to mix it up after step 1. Laser. One of my prefer appraoches is Laser > Jab > Shine/Grab/Up tilt/Down Tilt.

quak

Smash Champion
don't dash attack, as it usually doesn't link to anything when playing competant players, IE: it can be DI'd out of O-so easy, and the trajectory it send your opponents is hard to combo with.

You should approch with lasers, and when you get to your opponent, these attacks are good for combo set ups: grab, dair, shine.

Some people will say uair, but i always get sheildgrabed so i don't use it.

You can go for a nair too, but that won't lead to any combo usually. Better at higher percents.

The usual responses you get when you SHL is your opponent will sheild, and attempt to sheild-grab you or they will jump over em.

Against sheilders, i normally shffl dair, waveshine, JC shine, JC shine, which leaves you in the air ready to combo if you hit them with any of the three. You might have to practice the basics before you do this, and make sure you start your dair as low as you can to reduce the chance of being sheild grabbed.

I do this as opposed to pillaring, because i think that pillaring is too easy to get sheild grabbed out of.

If they jump over you lasers, be quick and give them a solid sex kick.

And if your tourney has a cash prize, shout at the top of you lungs whenever you approach, scare the **** out of em, and knock off a stock before they realize what the hell happened.

Good luck

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
They could potentially shield the laser right before you appraoch them. Which means a few things.

1. They are just going to shield it and do something in response to your next action.
2. They are going to try and shield grab you.
3. They are either going to waveshield or roll in a direction.

I know, they could do other things, but just go on those basic ones. You can stop your forward progression and laser camp. When you lands from the laser wavedash backwards or past them, which sliding past them would likely foil whatever plans they had. Or you can just doing a short-hopped nair or dair, so even if it doesn't connect, you don't get shield grabbed, And quak is right. Up tilts, shines, and up throws are much more reliable vertical combo starters.

Zink

Smash Champion
Drop a laser as you approach and then right as you reach them. If they sheild, sometimes you can hop in place and get another laser- then you own them, because they are mindgame'd out and at your mercy.

demonman153

Smash Rookie
SHL >> Dash atack In my nooby oppinion is a mistake as they can sheild grab you, if the SHL was sheilded
SHL->Dash attack->U tilt->shine->shine combo

Is good if the SHLs hit.
SHL->D tilt->pillar

try the above variation if the SHLs are sheilded

quak

Smash Champion
if it works for you, great. Floaties i'll admit it works a little better if you hit them with a SHL before while they're still in the air. But i try not to use it because (like previously said) i get sheild grabbed. But even against floaties, i'll choose the dair, nair or shine before i pick dash attack.

And i saw his video, very good, very fast player, but keep in mind, that if he were to get punished by getting sheild grabbed after doing a dash attack, they wouldn't put that clip in.

I would say if you were to use it, only use while you opponent is in the air, easier to do if you ping em with a laser when they are coming down anyway.

Top Bottom