• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do I Up Throw Up Air Correctly?

danyal999

Smash Cadet
So i've been a Bowser player for the longest time, even winning some locals with him. My game is pretty good but I still mess up my Up throw Up airs (KOO-PA'S if you wanna call it that). I thought that the percent ranges were just really small thats why I was messing it up, but after seeing Nairo's bowser, I know that you can confirm it much later than I expected. I can get it 40% of the time, and this isn't good so I have to resort to waiting for air dodges, even though I shouldn't have to.

Can someone please explain IN DEPTH, how to double jump up air properly to always secure a kill, regardless of DI. Like I really need details for this, maybe a video or something too if you can. I feel like I can do so much better if I just master this. I know all the percent ranges for most characters, just need to know the jump and upair timings.

- Also, there should be a stickied post for this combo and other bowser combos.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Shameful to say, but the reason why we don't have anything in depth is because most (vocal) competitive Bowsers didn't have a problem nailing the timing. This isn't to say that people that can't are bad, it's just an issue of resources and how they are absorbed. Like, we have people that can take one look at Nairo's timing in a youtube video and immediately understand the feel. Not everyone is like that. Also, there's a limit on stickied threads, though this only concerns the moderators. Discussion on follow-ups are on a post by post basis with many possibilities already explored in our Moveset and Analysis Thread. Other than that, most of the resources and knowledgeable playerbase are kept on the Bowser Discord.

To save yourself agony, first start by not even bothering trying to save time. Go into training mode and grind. When you UThrow, you want to jump forward and then double jump back while making the input for UAir. When done correctly, UAir's active frames will overlap with your upward arc, effectively covering all DI options. Be aware that using C Stick set to Attack at the same time you jump can force you to use a short rise version of a jump, effectively stunting your follow-up range. Time your double jump and UAir input and understand how high the apex can be. If it helps, make a custom stage for yourself with platform "notches" so you can properly measure the distance.

The important thing, and this is true of life, is to be curious. Always push the limits of your interaction with this game and wonder how far you can go with every variation you can test. Your body will remember.

Last edited:

danyal999

Smash Cadet
Thanks a bunch! So I have C stick set to attack, but I use Up A to do Up Air anyways, so that wont affect my jump height right? Also, I switched my jump from Y to L, and with L jump, I can do what you said a lot more consistently now.

kram1138

Smash Rookie
It's also important to make sure you input the up air right after the double jump. If you do it will come out right at the peak of the double jump to get max height. I've never done a specific jump "pattern", I just visually follow the DI. I find timing the up air properly helps more than following the DI when trying to get it at later percents. Just doing those I've never had trouble hitting it. I doubt I get the optimal percentage range, but it works well enough in a good range.

If you're at the upper end of the percent range or just outside, try reading an airdoge sometimes. I find people often will panic airdodge if they think they might still be in range.

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
All you have to do is jump as soon as the grab animation stops, read their DI, and U-air them. You don't have to wait for any airdoges because it's a true combo.

Top Bottom