• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do I Shield Pressure With Sheik?

KevinWUT

Professional Self-Destructor
NNID
KevinWut
3DS FC
5129-1013-7753
I've never been really good at shield pressure with Shiek, its something I'm better at with my secondary, Falco. My two assumptions were to use ftilt and fade away fair to try and get them to shield grab, but I usually end up grabbing them instead. Is there a better solution?

Str8Bustr

Smash Rookie
Well obviously as Sheik having someone in a grab is never a bad thing. But to answer your question, imo I don't think ftilt would be a very good idea unless well spaced. I don't believe it has good frame data on shield. You're on the right track about fade away fair. You more so wanna use autocancelled fairs, because you can do literally anything out of it. Grab, jab, jab>grab, tilt, wavedash, dash back. It's easily one of Sheik's best tools. Something I've seen, but wouldn't recommend, is pressure with uptilt, since it's quick and has multiple hits. It's def not a fantastic option, but it's been done. Another thing is, as far as I know, Sheik isn't much of a shield pressure character, so that's something to keep in mind.

I'm not an expert on Sheik by any means, I'm sure someone can chime in with a better idea of what you can do.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Something I've seen, but wouldn't recommend, is pressure with uptilt, since it's quick and has multiple hits. It's def not a fantastic option, but it's been done.
The second hit is actually like +1 or 0 on shield. Still not amazing cause it takes a while to get there but something nifty to keep in mind nonetheless.

Pauer

The Pauerful
I think (AC or low) fair -> foxtrot/dash+wavedash away, fair -> jab, fair->tilt (if far enough) or fair->grab are already a pretty good mixups.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
SH AC Fair -> Jab -> Dash away
SH low Needle -> Jab -> Dash away
SH FF Nair -> Jab -> Dash away
Uptilt -> Jab -> Dash Away

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
Jab on shield loses to mash grab and hold down, every time. The only thing that's good enough frame-wise to avoid the grab is another jab, and that one gets ASDI grabbed. Don't jab shields unless you're out of range of their grab or they're at high enough percent that it will pop them up for a fair (this percent is well above 100).

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
In practice Jab works though
Only as a mixup, but they have to anticipate the Jab in order to counter it
*against the people I play, it does.

Last edited:

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
It's fine to do it at a lower level I suppose but keep in mind that at a higher level it just absolutely will not work ever at all (until higher percent) vs Marth/Sheik/Puff and won't work vs many players of Peach/Falcon

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Also even at a low level you should be making sure it doesn't work vs you
Thanks, I'll work towards getting rid of the habbit then (y)
Sorry for spreading misinfo guys

Just wanna mention that Amsah, arguably one the greatest sheiks of all time, spam AC Fair -> Jab -> Dash Away and it seems to work for him

Well maybe he either hit confirms the Fair into Jab. Or cover himself if the Fair whiffs - but I think I recall seeing him using it on shield as well.

Oh, and you should generally try and space Fair on shield so they can't shield grab it if you stand still. If you got that spacing perfectly, is Jab -> Dash Away still not safe?

Last edited:

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
M2K or I would most likely shield DI that in and shield grab ASDI down you, but in a lot of cases it might be effective.

Amsah does a lot of fairly unsafe things on shield. He's always been a fastlord, and when you are really good at overwhelming the opponent with speed you can get away with more unsafe pressure if you have them on the back foot. Jab on shield is also better if :

1. You are playing PAL so you have to hope they jump because your grab isn't going to do anything
2. They're playing Fox or Falco, who usually won't ASDI down grab you unless you've been jabbing quite a bit (due to slightly lower reward and shorter grab range)
3. They're at high enough percent that if they get hit by it they'll be popped up for fair, ASDI down or no

In general, I can't imagine fair -> jab -> dash away accomplishes much that fair -> dash away doesn't do better

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Sheik can't pressure shields with ground moves in general other than a spaced jab. Everything is punishable. While uptilt is plus 1 on shield it's still not safe. Honestly just look at druggedfox's blog. He covers pressure so well.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
The link I just posted covers everything you need to know.

Re: utilt, asdi down grab beats it every time, and in between hits it can be shield grabbed.
Re: ftilt, it's bad unless they're bad :p. Then it's great. It can be an okay frame trap too.

At what range visually is aerial needle on shield --> grab confirmed?

Top Bottom