• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I read?

PineTree2.0

Smash Cadet
I know this seems like a stupid question, but I've never been able to read or analyse my opponent. I know the basic "look for patterns", but I don't know what I should be looking for. I try to get better by trying to analyse high level matches, but then again. What do I look for? I'd like some advice before I continue to venture further into this smash bros adventure. Thank you for the help.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
there are many different situation to look for patterns.
lets say you are facing a fox.
Recovery:
do they always recover high or go to the ledge
do they shine stall, or immediatly side b?
if they always side b to the ledge, you should your character's option to cover that.
shield pressure:
If they constantly hold shield, shine grab them.
if they always spot dodge, wait
if they always roll towards stage, go hit them when they are doing it.
There are many options that your opponent can do in various scenarios. If you notice a pattern, you can punish it.

There are other reads that you can do based on what you think a normal person or that particular character would to in that scenario. usually if a newer player is knocked down at/near the ledge, they will roll inwards behind you. You can charge a smash or something anticipating that.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Some more things to look for:
Tech patterns
How they tech chase
Ledge get up options
Dash dance patterns (many people will dash twice and then approach)
Responses to whiffed (but safe) attacks
How they edgeguard
Which moves they use to approach

For example, recently I was playing a set against a Marth, and I noticed that when he was nervous he became very dtilt heavy and would throw them out when I was just outside his range (presumably to cover a grounded approach from me). So, I ran in farther than usual when I knew he would dtilt, shielded, and up smashed out of shield to KO him.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Reading is something you can learn pretty organically without a lot of outside assistance. Watching pros won't make you a whole lot better at reading honestly; what will help you start learning how to read and how reads work is pretty easy though:

Start watching the other player while you play.

This does a few things for you
  • Shifts the focus from solo tech-skill practice to player-player interaction, where it belongs if you want to win
  • Allows you to intuit how other players behave and start to understand ways to react to them and read them
  • Keeps you from getting surprised by your opponents as easily, their intent will become a lot more obvious
  • Helps you learn and understand the neutral game
Keep in mind that this is one of those "easy to say, difficult to do" things; you won't get good at it overnight, and some people never do.

Either way, good luck to you.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
necroTaxonomist necroTaxonomist , as soon as I saw the title, I was hoping somebody would post something like this.

For something like this, watching matches and even the other player won't completely fix your problem. Reading people isn't just about noticing trends, but also reacting and countering said trend. Every time you approach someone you should keep a mental note of how the engagement went. What did I do and how did my opponent react? Did he do the right counter to my approach but flubbed tech, if so, is this a safe option in the future? Watching videos and experimenting can help with the follow up to a read, but the read itself requires thinking about how every situation played out. Knowledge of the opponent's character can let you cheat a bit, but try to avoid this. Like the Luigi-reaction is to throw out a nair in bad situations, but good Luigi's know to not lean on it too heavily.

This idea of reading approaches also extends to combos, edge guards, DI, you name it. The key is to think about the engagement every chance you can. Reset the neutral to give yourself a breather and chance to think if necessary. Off course everything falls apart if you don't do what Masive said, watch the opponent. Don't tunnel vision to your character.

Here's a good explanation of reading with the neutral game (shameless promotion of the smash club I'm in):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ83UfsHR2Y

Again, this idea applies to all things readable.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Reading largely comes naturally from having situational awareness. The way I think about it is: you need to be able to understand what's actually happening before you can know what you are able to do, and you need to know what you are able to do before you are able to know what you should do.

Breaking things down into discrete situations gives a context for which you can determine what the opponent's patterns are, and from that, what your adjustment should be. Knowing "my opponent always does (or tends to do) this under these circumstances" is vastly more useful than knowing "my opponent does this a lot", because you reduce the number of variables you have to consider down to a level that lets you make decisions for which you can be reasonably confident of the outcome. You can't just beat someone (for example) down tilting as Marth in general, because there is no option that just beats that option in general. There are, however, options that beat that option in certain specific situations, which is why you enable yourself to challenge it by recognising the situations in which it is being applied.

If you recognise the opponent's habits in a specific situation, then you don't have to be restricted to waiting for the option before you can know what you should be responding with (which is often not possible anyway due to the limitations imposed by reaction time) or just throwing out a guess and hoping they'll choose that option because they do it "a lot". Now, you're waiting for the situation in which they do the option, and when you see that situation you can be confident of what they will do. In other words: by knowing the habitual option in the context of the situation it's applied to, in the future so long as you notice that situation then you can extrapolate the opponent's likely option choice from it.

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
One thing I find that I am able to do quite easily is get a feel for their tech habits. I like to see whether they roll to or away from me of to or away from the ledge under pressure.

Peedee

Smash Rookie
NNID
peedeeonedee
3DS FC
0688-6378-2192
Stare into your opponents eyes during stage pick. If they pick a stage that you're not too happy with. Scream loudly to assert dominance. Your opponent will me so afraid. They will chose a stage to your liking. When this happens, they will be too scared to upset you during the match. So you 4 stock the match, and become the best player in your area.

PineTree2.0

Smash Cadet
Stare into your opponents eyes during stage pick. If they pick a stage that you're not too happy with. Scream loudly to assert dominance. Your opponent will me so afraid. They will chose a stage to your liking. When this happens, they will be too scared to upset you during the match. So you 4 stock the match, and become the best player in your area.
Can confirm it works

Top Bottom